Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Torque specs 453?

Pelicanroost ยท 2009-05-04 22:35

Anybody know offhand the torque specs for the mains, rod caps, and head bolts on a normally aspirated 453 Detroit. All I have been able to find is for the 453T. Thanks for any help, Pel

Replies16
  1. #1willie592009-05-04 22:56

    Contact these folks, they should be able to tell you, http://www.expertdiesel.com/detroit.htm

  2. #2bolt thrower2009-05-04 23:46

    Head bolts 170-180 ft. lb. , lubed. pattern starts with center bolts and works toward both ends alternately. Rods with 3/8''-24 bolts 40-45 ft. lb. Mains 120-130 ft.lbs, lubed. According to my book, these specs are for all 53 engines.

  3. #3Pelicanroost2009-05-05 21:01

    Thanks a ton for y'all's help. Pel

  4. #4willie592009-05-05 21:07

    And I always run a tap in the holes for the head bolts to clean the threads to insure accurate torque on bolts. And lightly lube with motor oil as bolt thrower said. Are you doing a rebuild on one Pel?

  5. #5Pelicanroost2009-05-07 21:55

    Yep Atco, we doin' an inframe. New liner kits and rods, mains, rebuilt head, new injectors. Old Ho' ought to be ready to work when we through. Pel

  6. #6willie592009-05-07 22:07

    Rock on Pel! Sounds like you've done it before. I've done a few 53 in-frames also. By the way, I noticed your about as far south as your gonna get in Alabama.

  7. #7Pelicanroost2009-05-07 22:21

    Not me. My first time with something like this. Got a fella helping that was a diesel mech with International Paper Co. for 21 years. He know's Detroits. I'm the gofer and fetcher . Yep, bout 10 miles as the crow flies to the Gulf. I can leave my pier on Nolte Creek go into Magnolia River to Weeks Bay to Mobile Bay and go into the gulf between Dauphin Island and Ft. Morgan. Got a 24' tritoon with a 140 Suzuki an it'll make in in under half an hour. Problem is I got no time to fish Later, Pel

  8. #8willie592009-05-07 22:40

    Well now, that's different. You be sure and pay attention, your going to be looking at the innards of a very unique engine with the Detroit. It's good you have an experienced mech doing it. And he should know to use SAE 40 (not multigrade) in the engine. Many moons ago I was working north of you in Choctaw County. One weekend I drove down to Mobile, stopped in to see the battleship Alabama, and made the trip over to Dauphin Island in my service truck. That's quite a bridge going over to the Island.

  9. #9Pelicanroost2009-05-08 22:22

    If'n you ever see you're gonna be down this way again give me a hollar ahead of time. Mayhaps we can get together and talk equipment over lunch. Later, Pel

  10. #10willie592009-05-08 22:35

    You darn skippy I will! Ain't nothin' I'd like better doin' than visiting folks I've met on this forum. A bit busy raisin' three grandkids and working to support them right now. But one of these days... I've got to go to North Carolina first though, Red Bank said that if I bring the beer...he'll provide the steaks! Send us some pics of your 53 as your rebuilding it. BTW, it's a true southerner that uses the term "If'n".

  11. #11Speedpup2009-05-09 17:33

    You always have bed and breakfest here on Long Island if you make it up here. I would also like to see the rebuild as I have one also which may be a bit tired. I also have a manual if you need any other info on the motor.

  12. #12willie592009-05-09 19:58

    Yeah boy, I would like to see Long Island.

  13. #13Speedpup2009-05-10 08:09

    40 minutes from NYC and on the water on the South Shore. I have a new 19' Whaler tied up to the dock in the back yard. Two small ten pound dogs, 95 lb Shepherd mushball, and another mutt mushball. We have the room for two.

  14. #14willie592009-05-10 10:12

    Sweet!

  15. #15Pelicanroost2009-05-10 13:31

    Well Atco, if'n ya ever gets down to the Redneck Riviera (Alabama Gulf Coast) I'd be happy to fix ya up with some fresh fried mullet fillets, a bucket of grits, a loaf of light bread, and some cold adult beverages - don't get no better'n that That invite goes to all my heavy equip board friends. Later, Pel

  16. #16willie592009-05-10 20:41

    Yuh Huh...Cheese Grits! :drinkup