Has anybody had a torque wrench that won't adjust and the handle just spins? I borrowed an Armstrong 3/4" drive torque wrench and wanted to loosen the torque off so I could torque my new wheels in stages. It was at about 500ft./lbs. and it turned under tension till about 325ft./lbs. then it got loose and the handle spins freely without doing anything. I thought after using it at this torque it might adjust again but the handle just spins freely. It clicks properly. Anybody else ran into this and know how to fix it?
Was the wrench stored at 500'Lbs?
Was it used to break things loose? Also, most torque wrenches are not supposed to be used for LH fasteners. At least as far as i know
I broke a 1/2' drive torque wrench because I tried to loosen a very tight bolt with it.
Yes I think it was stored at around 500 lbs. That's where it was when I picked it up. The guy I borrowed it from said he had used it for loosening stuff too. I don't think it's broken just stuck. Looking online I found a video that said not tightening is usually because the grease inside has dried and gets sticky. I certainly didn't want to try take it apart to fix. Now I'm wondering if I'll have to pay to get it fixed. I could have rented a torque wrench and socket for $35.
BAD TINK! BAD BOY!
The spring probably is worn out from storing it at 500Lbs.
I think the spring is OK. I called a place that fixes them and they said there's a couple simple things it could be. Only problem is it's a flat rate to work on it of $72.00. I'll talk to the owner and see if want's to try and fix it himself or maybe pay half of the cost to fix it if it doesn't need any parts. Sad thing is it went loose before I even used it. It worked at the lower torque it's stuck on but that's it. I could have rented one with a socket and current calibration for $35.00 so if he'll pay half to get it fixed is about the same as renting one.