We have been looking at trailers for a while now and I have just come upon some brand new trailers for about 2/3 the price of any others we have found. The main difference is that they have springs as opposed to Torsion axles. Now, the salesman that has the springs says: "when you are hauling equipment onto a site and you have uneven ground the torsion axles aren't any good. You end up having all your weight on one axle if your back axle isn't the same level as the front one. You should only use a standard axle as the weight will be distributed evenly on both axles" This makes a lot of sense, since a torsion axle is actually bolted/welded to the frame. Although I have read that torsion axles ride much better and don't bounce around without a load. He had also mentioned that you have nothing but trouble with repairs if you use a torsion axle. The difference in price is $6500 for 2-7000# axle trailer with torsion axle and $4100 for a spring. Also has a 3-7000# axle for $4400. Unbelievable prices!
Prairie Dog, I prefer the spring trailers in the type hauling that I do. You mentioned the torsion riding smoother when empty. I try not to haul an empty trailer any farther than I have to although it is unavoidable at times. Loaded = $$$ in the pocket pulling an empty trailer is an extra expense. Ok back to the trailers check the framing and cross members and also bracing on both styles before deciding. The quality and workmanship will also play into retail price. As far as one being better than the other they both have thier place.:my2c
I'd make sure the metal thickness in each trailer is the same. The one place a company will try and skimp is in the thickness. Its not readily noticeable unless you really look! Springs are fine. They have worked well for many years, they are simple, easy to repair and parts are widely available.
I would go with springs. We have a 24' gooseneck stock trailer with torsion axles and every time you go over a bump the tires come off the ground either the front or rear axle. All of your weight is on one axle at a time or just on two tires. just my :my2c .
As has been stated, Torsion bar axles are good for highway and Tandem axles are more all-purpose. It kinda compares to the "Truck Suspensions" thread where the pros and cons were discussed for Air bag vs. Walking beam suspensions and the different terrains each is better suited for. Springs have been around forever and parts are cheap. I've had both (talking 7,000# utility trailers) and I prefer the springs.
I ran my gooseneck Moritz trailer for 5 years with torsion axles. 300 bales of hay in and out of fields, tractors and equipment all around off road and construction sites (6000-8000 lbs equipment with 6000lb trailer on 2 7k axles) and every rough spot you can imagine. Although I can see their point, I've never seen one fail, and would buy torsion if given the chance. My next one will be torsion, and had I not been suckered into the Cam Superjunk trailer I bought last year, I'd have a Moritz torsion 14 k trailer.