Hello to all, need a little help, lost a steel track, was able to get the track on, and I have about 5" of slack in the track, I can't get any more grease in the idler. Any suggestions how to get the track tight.
What exactly are you trying to tighten the tracks on?
Possibly the chains are worn out and stretched or a link needs to be taken out. Need more info though.
Thanks for reply, 1994 Samsung 130, Chain and Undercarriage are in good condition,only 4000 hours on the machine. Track was tight before I was walking and turning the machine. The track got caught on a rock, The track only came off on the Idler side, Spocket side remained on. Thanks Again
Normally when you lose a track you would slacken off the track adjuster and push the idler back a bit to get the track back on. If the idler won't readjust then the grease nipple could be defective or the adjuster piston rod may be seized. You could try traveling the machine slowly forward whilst pumping the adjuster or lifting the track off the ground and turning it while adjusting.
Possibly the seals that keep the grease in are bad & will not let the adjuster move out.
I moved the adjuster out, and I moved the machine about 50 yards and I did not lose any grease, nor did the idler go back in, I just need another 2" on the idler arm and I should be good. Thanks for the reply
Have you checked to make sure you didn't bend something? If you let the tracks get loose, it shouldn't surprise you when you throw one off, but if it was tight and you still lost it, I'd be taking a careful look to make sure there wasn't further damage...
Check these things first, i have had it happen several times where the grease nipple either wouldnt accept any more grease, or it wouldnt hold it in. did you try to just slightly lift that side of the machine so that you can walk the tracks around and try pumping some more in, move the tracks, pump, etc. dont raise it very much though as then you would also have to lift the track as you push the idler out making it much harder.
How much mud is packed in around the idler and track adjuster? Or might there be a rock wedged in there? I've had it before that mud gets into the barrel and wedges the piston tight. How tight are you running your tracks? The Samsung manual I have here doesn't give track tightness specs but the average 120 size machine is 10-11 inches between the bottom of the track frame to the top of the pads with the track raised off the ground. I don't know if this helps any but let us know what you find.
Thanks for the help, I have tried everthing, the undercarriage is aboput 90 % good, for what every reseason I actual pull the idler out and pump grease in that seems to work I need to go about one more 1" on the idler,
After a good pressure clean, rotate the track with it lifted off the ground while watching the idler...the bearings can collapse fairly easily.