Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

track life

watglen ยท 2015-05-24 17:50

My 240 volvo tracks are nearing the end of their life. The idler carriers are sitting at the end of the track frame. I don't have much tensioning left available. So what do i do here. Can I pull a link out? or should I just go straight to new chains? Sprocket segments aren't too bad yet, not really pointy. The machine has just over 4000hrs. Ken

Replies7
  1. #1Scrub Puller2015-05-24 18:43

    Yair . . . watglen I'm way out of my league, here but many years ago I remember seeing three inch hardwood spacer blocks under the carrier/support rollers of an excavator to finish a job up in PNG. Cheers.

  2. #2lantraxco2015-05-24 18:44

    If the sprockets still look good, then it's likely the internal pin and bushing wear is not that bad, but the combination of sprocket, idler, chain, and roller wear are using up most of your takeup travel. By all means remove a link and run them on out is my opinion. When the chains wear internally the pitch distance between bushings gets longer and longer, so they don't fit the sprockets well anymore and you can see the chains eating away at the sprockets, the teeth get "C" shaped and they will begin to make clanking noises when it gets bad. Might get another 500 or even a thousand hours out of it, but it may be time to get a courtesy measurement and quote from your local dealer anyway, just so you can plan for the day you decide it's time.

  3. #3Garrie Denny2015-05-25 02:59

    I am presently replacing the under-carriage of my kh151 excavator. I purchased cheap,(thank God) I Knew the drive sproketswere US But the seller had 2 new $1400 each sprockets included in the sale,great im thinking. replace drive sprockets,get another 500-10000 hours out of the tracks ? WRONG Whe I split the track 1 side and rolled back to replace the sprocket im thinking this is a piece of P1ss,why didn,t he do it ? The I put the new drive-sprocket on,ran the track back up and guess what ?????????????. he had taken out 2 complete track links to make up for the worn d-sprocket. So now I am getting 2 new steel tracks complete from Brisbane ad will send some photos of this rebuild as they happen The wear on the drive sprockets will you when you see old -New.

  4. #4lantraxco2015-05-25 04:10

    That shouldn't even be possible, same tooth count?

  5. #5uffex2015-05-25 07:16

    Good day Watglen EC240 Volvo measure over 4 links five pins new = 190.3mm when 100% worn 194.3mm. If you would like the measurement instructions drop me an email. Suggest you avoid renewing chains and using worn drive sprockets one will have a negative wear effect on the other component. Kind regards Uffex

  6. #6uffex2015-05-25 07:30

    hi Watglen information added KR Uffex

  7. #7Garrie Denny2015-05-26 01:58

    lantraxco, believe me it is. The previous owner took out 2 complete track pads to get adjustment. The exact same original drive sprocket was replaced,same tooth count. Like I said I will definitely post photo of the old worn d-sprocket sittig on top of the new one, when you see it you will be gob-smackett at the amout of wear. Later...