can anyone please tell me why the older cat traxcavators have the bucket rollout lever operating backwards to any other loader (meaning push lever forward to roll bucket back and pull lever back to dump bucket). there's got to be a good reason, please enlighten me. (not a dirt guy).
I have allways heard that it was like that for loading trucks.
Pull em both back the arms raise and bucket dumps, after you get used to it you will wonder why they are all not that way. Btw, it's not just the older ones, as far as I know even the D machines are that way unless they are joystick Pj
I will third that. I was operating a joy stick model and then went to that setup. I thought it was crazy at first but after a while saw how it made since. We had that 963 for several years. The company bought a new replacement about four years ago. (Joystick). What a piece of crap.
It takes a while but really is the best. I don't know why Cat wheel loaders aren't the same.
Even my old allis with a 4 in 1 is set that way, you get used to it and you won't like the others.
I disagree, I would rather have a joystick any day over a two stick.:cool2
Hey Mr super Moderator Cory....am I allowed to comment on this subject? The twin stick track loader setup is done that way because in general track loaders are a cut and spread machine rather than a load and carry. You do a lot of lifting and dumping to spread material. I have been running a twin stick machine lately and frankly I'll take my joystick over them any day. I will say one thing for the Cat track loader twin stick controls...why on earth are they still so far apart and why are the sticks so long? Look at a Cat wheel loader. They are close together and short so that you can one hand functions in opposite directions very easily. Track loaders on the other hand....try and raise and curl smoothly with one hand. I will say another thing for Joystick vs. Twins....try and multi function a twin like a single. I dare you. I work with guys that have only run twins and they can't multifunction their 973 like I can with a single and trust me...skill level is not in my favour.
No but that's never stopped you before.:tong
The burnt out is right... the set up is for a better grading/spreading motion than truck loading. If it was because of truck loading, than the wheel loader twin sticks would be the same way as the track loaders. I don't have much experience with joystick controls, all we have in our 963's are twin sticks, personally I don't have a problem multi functioning, never noticed them being all that far apart either...:beatsme
The newer 53s and 63s I've been on have 2 sticks pilot controls . I like the alot. I have run one with a joy stick it was ok but didn't seem to get full movement of the valve like a 2 stick. If I bought or could buy a new one it would have 2 stick pilots.
I haven't been on anything newer than the B series. I too have trouble with reaching both levers with one hand when they are fully moved in opposite directions. My dad used to have a 977h that was really hard for me to reach. I hope I get to run a new cat before long pilot controls I bet are nice. Those steering pedals bother my knees too.
I used to think that way too! Our newer 963 is a piece of crap for more reasons than just the joystick control. You can not do two functions at once with it. Dump the bucket and lift at the same time. Our mechanics says its suppose to be like that and I tend to argue.... Lot and lots of arguing haha. I did operate a 963 back in the 80's with a joystick and it ran like a top. Our two stick 963 had narrow sticks and was close together and was easy to work. We have a 953 that has big ole round knobs on it and are far apart. Yes I'd rather have a joystick over that setup.
When you have a full bucket and want to spread it, all you need to do is pull both levers back the same amount at the same time. The cutting edge stays right at ground level(or where ever it was) and the back of the bucket raises and dumps until it's empty. Running a loader, I probably do that more than any other motion. After dumping a bucket full in a truck, back away, push both levers forward, let go of the tilt lever and hold the raise lever forward until it's lowered, the bucket will auto return to dig position and be ready to dig when it's down. Do it for a week and there's no more thought required.
I bet after 20,000 hrs, the two sticks have saved some time in maintence,,,,,, just saying.
Yep; designed like that because track loaders were more a excavating tool, and when dumping and spreading you just grab both levers withone wide hand and pull back. loader linkage rises and bucket tips forward. Learned to drive on a 933G. with 9 levers to think about Going to a 941 was magic after that !
Anyone ever whacked the side of the truck after switching from a track to a wheel loader or vice versa?
I have a 943 with the twin lever setup. I've got rather big hands but when you're digging out of a bank, pulling back on the hoist and pushing the bucket forward to roll back, they do get kind of far apart. I just twist my hand with my thumb on the hoist and my pinky finger on the bucket. I've never ran a joystick track loader but I don't see myself ever wanting to. I can't grade with my dad's 580K since I bought my 943.
Welcome to the Forums jmoney86!:drinkup
Thank you sir. I've been watching for a while, just figured I'd chime in. Looks like there's a wealth of knowledge from alot of dirt guys here.
Does it have round knobs or straight. If I was going to have to operate one for a long time I'd switch them out. They are a lot better for me
It has the round, sort of mushroom shaped knobs. They're only about 4'' apart in the hold position.
You should see if you can't locate some straight knobs. It sure made it easier on me. I can grab both real easy.
Do you mean straight knobs like a throttle lever knob? I have pretty big hands but to use the older twin levers I find it a lot easier to wear a work glove for traction on the knobs.
Yes. Our 963 had them and it was great for holding pulling both handles back at the same time. I had to think about that for a minute as our new 963 has an electronic throttle.
Well, I learned a bit from this thread. I can count my minutes on a track loader without running out of toes to add, but would love to find a reason to add one to my spread. I can see a lot of useful things to do with one. I have wondered about the reason for the controls being the way they are for a while now. Despite my lack of experience on one, it seems the lever pattern would work much better while cleaning up with a 4 in 1 bucket. boom down, curl up, and clam close is all 3 forward, making life easier than the same task on a 3 lever wheel loader.
In a farm setting it seems that a track loader would be the way to go for an all around machine. Only when large excavations you might want something else.