Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track Loader or Dozer?????

Nicker ยท 2007-11-16 10:40

If you could buy only one machine, what are the opinions on which is more universal. This would be my first piece of heavy equipment besides my 4100 deere and I will be pushing and moving dirt for a motocross track in rock and clay. Thanks.

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies43
  1. #1digger242j2007-11-16 12:27

    Without a doubt, the loader is the more versatile. You can push dirt with a loader, and grade to a certain degree, but you can't achive the precision grading that you could with a dozer. On the other hand, with a dozer, loading anything is strictly out of the question, and moving material any great distance is more difficult.

  2. #2AlabamaDirtGuy2007-11-16 23:11

    Loader definitely!

  3. #3TALLRICK2007-11-18 00:25

    For smooth dirt roads, I would say the dozer. But for a motocross track, definately the track loader. Grading ability will depend on the bucket used, but for piling and moving dirt around, definately the track loader.

  4. #4Deas Plant2007-11-18 07:30

    Dozer or track loader. Hi, Nicker. Firstly, welcome to the forum. Now, dozer or track loader? A dozer is great for shifting bulk dirt over short distances, up to about 100 yards with a larger dozer where you can work in a slot. A track loader will not move dirt efficiently over anything like those sorts of distances, either pushing or carrying. On the other hand, a dozer can't load trucks without some sort of aid, like an old-fashioned 'chinaman'. Some people above have said that a dozer will grade better than a loader. I would dispute this, especially if the loader is fitted witha 4-in-1 bucket and you know how to use it. Yes, most dozers these days have tilt cylinders and some have PAT blades. What they don't have is the bucket floor to act as a skid plate. Personally, I would be opting for a track loader with a 4-in-1 bucket and rippers but I certainly wouldn't rule out a 4wd articulated loader with the same equipment either. Some people may laugh at this but I have done things with a 4wd articulated loader that even a bigger track loader could not do. A good 4wd loader with ballast in the tires will climb in places where a track loader will struggle and it is amazing how much rock you can take out with bucket teeth properly angled. If you do choose a loader with a 4-in-1 bucket, another good investment would be a spreader bar. You can find photos of one in this thread: The one shown in those photos is 13 feet wide, designed for leveling house sites. For a motocross track you might not need it quite that wide, say maybe 10 feet. Hope this helps.

  5. #5HeyUvaVT2007-11-18 09:39

    I had this same quandry a few months ago and was sent down the loader path by the good folks here on the site...ended up with a CAT 939c ...love it would never think twice about recommending one to anyone...although I do have a deep fondness for the in-your-face power of a big dozer pushing mountains around :notworthy

  6. #6Wolf2007-11-18 15:05

    big dozer pushing mountains around There is nothing like the feel of power from a big dozer pushing mountains around. That's why we all love this heavy equipment so so much.

  7. #7Nicker2007-11-19 13:00

    Thanks for the repies. This is a great site. Now to start the hunt for a Track loader with a 4 in 1 bucket and rippers at a decent price. Pedal steer or lever steer?

  8. #8lgammon2007-11-20 00:27

    we have an old 941b for sale no rippers or 4 in 1 bucket, never needed them. the clay here is easy to dig with just the teeth. as far as a 4in1 bucket well we just get it close going forward then back drag it and it always gets it fine for us. call me if you need the loader we are in the kingsport area of tennessee. i think dad wants 15 for it. we use it as a spare right now. just came in off a job pulling a sheeps foot roller 423 306 8892 lynn

  9. #9Deas Plant2007-11-20 02:22

    Lever or pedal steer?????????????????????? Hi, Nicker. You have just made it very obvious, at least to me, that you don't have much track loader time. I don't know anybody who has spent much time on pedal steer track loaders who would willingly go back to a lever steer machine. I personally would not entertain for a moment the thought of buying a lever steer machine. Just my 0.02.

  10. #10Z24O2007-11-20 04:40

    what about the choice of transmission hrdrostatic? powershift? direct drive?

  11. #11Deas Plant2007-11-20 08:26

    I'm a LAZY type. Hi, Z240. Direct drive is out for any serious commercial work for the same reason that lever steer is out. You might think you can imagine just how much busier you would be if you had direct drive and lever steer on a track loader but I'd suggest doubling your best guess and then add the last number you thought of over 100. Then you might be somewhere close. I once spent ONE day on a stick shift, lever steer Cat 933 loading 12 cu. yd tippers. I was a LOT younger and probably a little sillier then. I have no wish to repeat the experience. They're fun to play with - - - - - - for about 10 minutes. Then the novelty wears off. Powershift or hydrostatic? As far as ease of operation is concerned, there isn't a lot to choose between the two. Where the hydrostatic leaps ahead is in manoeverability and speed control with its infinitely variable speed range. Also, when properly adjusted, a hydrostatic is automatically brake-applied when you put the control lever in the neutral position.

  12. #12TALLRICK2007-12-31 10:58

    I can only imagine what a pain it must have been to play with levers and try to load and dump. On a dozer you can get away with lever steer, but what a bother it must be to have to fiddle with bucket controls. Glad it didn't drive you nuts!

  13. #13Sparffo2008-03-24 06:16

    Dozer ! HI! I would search for a D6C size dozer! 14-18 tons machine with 6 way blade and 5-7 tooth ripper/scarifier. I have a lot of experience of motocross track maintanance, both on hardpack and really soft sand tracks. I as former pro rider i have also been keeping the track in good shape over 10 years rofessor The second option would be a trackloader with 1/4 bucket and ripper, 10-15 tons machine (cat 955, 951). single grouser or dubble grouser would be the pads to prefear. make shure the machine you buy have powershift tranny!!! and it on the track its better with accelerator pedal instead of deaccelerator pedal, but its easy to change, and doesnt matter so much when you get used. I have tried almost everything on the track, ag. tractors, excavators 1-30 tons, wheel loaders and back hoes. the problem with agricultural tractors, even if if they are BIG 4wd's is that they don't cut the top's of the braking and aceleration bump's. They just push the soft material betveen the bump's and then it goes in bad shape really fast again. I have used a 5,5 tons, 6000series Deere with loader and blade in the rear. also preparing jumps is a lot harder with ag tractors and wheel loaders, with a dozer you can make really good jumps when you get used to the blade! The wheels are so sensitive for small bumps, they don't float on the ground like tracks do. also an big excavator is quite good to prepare the track with, but it's slow and expensive compared to the dozer. with the dozer you can use a blade up to 4 meters wide, then again the excavator can hardly carry a bucket wider than 2 meters... with the dozer you can make one long straight in one push, with the excavator you have to move the machine all the time. The first dozer i had on the track weighted only 7,5 tons, and it was all to light to use in hardpack. when i bought the D6C things started to happen! the fuel economy was a lot better and i could prepare the track a lot faster (2-3 times). I use the trackloader and excavator mostly when i need to do some bigger changes, it's quite rare othervise that you need to carry dirt. to prepare the stadium whoops i use a smaller excavator 1,5-5 tons, with a wide tilt bucket. Have fun!

  14. #14Nicker2008-03-25 14:53

    I found the perfect beast. I went ahead and bought a Case 1155d that is 27,000 pounds with a 6 cylinder cummins, 4 in 1 bucket and rippers on the back. It seems to be exactly what the doctor orderd. Next will be a root rake of some sort to clear more area. I plan on enviting Paul Carpenter and Bob Kinery whenever they get close to my area again.:notworthy

  15. #15bildrrick2008-09-27 13:56

    I move a lot of dirt and load many dumsters with my bobcat track loader.

  16. #16Countryboy2008-09-28 10:21

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums bildrrick! :drinkup

  17. #17stock2008-09-28 15:27

    A cunning plan bildrrick!!! them machines I would call a drott :thumbsup

  18. #18Forestgnome2008-10-28 22:29

    I have an IH500C trackloader, Drott 4in1 and rippers. Kinda wish I would have found one with the backhoe. I've seen plenty of Deere 450C's with the backhoe. Awesome combination!

  19. #19Sparffo2008-10-30 11:23

    I have been planning to put a backhoe on my D6C that i use on the motocross track :drinkup I have a quite one of D6C! the cab is made for forrestry crane, so the seat turns around and it has the fueltank on the side so it would be extremly easy to add a hoe to the rear! it allready has a mounting plate there, or could also be called a ripper... but it's a ripper modified from a sled connector, my machine was used to load and pull logg sleds from the forrests. Quite sone i will begin to work on the machine, so i will snap some pictures of the wierdo and start a new tread on it! So hold on Deas! (i know you have been waiting) now when i have compared the D6C with angle blade and the Komatsu D41S trackloader with 4-1 bucket on the motocross track, I have to say that the D6C is my choise any day!

  20. #20scrub bull2008-12-18 06:41

    I have been lookin g down the same path, loader or dozer, think a drott will suit me better for now.

  21. #21kwikkat2009-04-04 12:13

    cummins good choice cummins

  22. #22dirtman552009-05-07 08:12

    Track loaders are a good all purpose machine. My Dad & I started the business with a 125E Int. with a quick detach backhoe. Great machine, basement to landscaping, loading & trenching. Takes a bit of patience,but it will make a real operator of you.

  23. #23jaybwas2009-05-07 14:48

    Nicker, Post a few pictures of the track! I own 10 acre horse farm and shortly after I cleared my land, my friends and I built a mile long track. I miss it so badly but the wife said we gotta pay da bills! Funny, I haven't seen my disgruntled neighbors in awhile.:beatsme

  24. #24td25c2009-05-07 22:53

    If I only could buy one machine,I would go with the highlift with the 4 in 1 bucket.It is the most versatile machine.I like a dozer for grading,cutting roads in,clearing trees,and moving dirt the best.I like a excavator for deeper cuts,loading trucks,demolition,ect.The highlift is a good all purpose tractor,and it will do all of these jobs.My favorite is an excavator teamed up with a dozer,there aint much those too cant do.

  25. #25bucko2009-05-27 20:09

    crawler difference what is the difference between a cat 963 loader and the cat 963 LGP loader ?

  26. #26CM19952009-05-27 21:55

    Welcome to the Forums bucko!:drinkup The difference in a standard 963 and LGP version is LGP stands for "Low Ground Pressure", IE wider tracks to distribute the weight more evenly in soft ground conditions. I don't know the exact specs for the 963 but they should be on Cat's website.

  27. #27bucko2009-05-27 22:09

    crawler thankyou I bought a parts manual on line for my 963 and when I received it on the cover it says 963 LGP was hoping I would still be able to use it for my 963 crawler it is a 21Z this manual is 11Z1 and up would that include my 21Z ?

  28. #28BritOperator2009-07-01 15:12

    Hey Bucko, If you haven't already found out that manual you bought online will cover your machine. The only difference will be on the undercarriage. It will be wider to accomodate the wider pads and longer too, all to give an LGP machine better floatation in softer conditions. The rest of the machine will be exactly the same.

  29. #29BritOperator2009-07-01 15:25

    In answer to the original thread. Track loaders all the way. Track loader and dozer operator by trade but would always pick a loader over a dozer. Essentially a 10-in-1 machine.

  30. #30foley2009-07-18 15:03

    i have an old hough loader and i like it i can move dirt push trees and do small dirtwork around my farm but i would like to have a dozer for the weight when pushing trees small chineze elms 3 in dia makes for a rough ride in my 11 ton loader just my 2cents

  31. #31BZ592009-07-23 16:52

    I just bought a Dresser (International) 125E with a 4 n 1 bucket. Sittin under the overhang by the pole barn right now. Got it delivered yesterday right before a all day and nite rain! Havent had time to do anything with it yet! Hope to get a service manual so I know how to take care of it.

  32. #32abouttogobroke2009-12-29 10:50

    Nicker, I am in the same boat you are in. I can only afford one machine. My thoughts are that trackloader will get my by until I can afford a dozer and excavator which is what I would really like to have. My vote would be a trackloader because it is a more versatile machine.

  33. #33deer32452010-02-20 21:25

    I had a jd 450c crawler loader with a 4 in 1 bucket to clear 5 acres. It was great. Much better than a dozer. They seem to be reasonably priced for what you get in my opinion

  34. #34dynahoescott2010-03-05 11:10

    Unless its over a D7 size dozer I would always opt for a track loader and a quick coupler to switch from bucket to 6 way blade, I know they make them and if I was to order a machine that would be the setup.If the setup worked well: I wouldnt even own a small dozer. ointhead

  35. #35BigIron252010-03-05 18:50

    Loader!!!!

  36. #36terraplenagem2012-07-17 18:03

    In places that have objects that may come in tracks and damage them, besides damaging the transmission of the machine, is indicated the use of Dozer. If this is not the case, the track loader is much more versatile and useful for the vast majority of cases.

  37. #3722a2012-07-18 06:13

    During the 70s I spent a fair amount of time on direct drive, lever steer & pedal steer loaders (933,955H,977K). There is no doubt the pedal steer was great especially when loading trucks. Starting on a lever steer (955H) I can't recall them or the direct drive being a problem. The main thing against purchasing a lever steer would be the fact that they are now around 40 years plus, a direct drive loader possible 50+. Also you have to operate a direct drive machine. Another thing, any track loader is not easy to perform the majority of mechanical repairs on.

  38. #3822a2012-07-18 06:41

    It was not a PAIN you did not PLAY with levers or FIDDLE with bucket controls. Operated a power shift, lever steer loader(955H) during the 70s, the lever steer was the least of the problems

  39. #39D6 Merv2012-08-04 01:04

    learned to operate on a 933G with a 4 in 1 bucket. Thats 9 levers to play with and 2 pedals. certainly made you think. And when it broke; i got to fix it too. That made you think abit more too. Then i moved up to 941. oohhh magic. But had to go for a run after work then to get some exercise :drinkup

  40. #40terraplenagem2012-08-04 17:37

    933G? You're a hero, just like my father

  41. #41Forestgnome2012-08-10 19:56

    I have both. Wish I had an excavator.

  42. #42CM19952012-08-10 20:18

    Me too. I wouldn't get rid of my dozer or loader, I just need to get an excavator.

  43. #43PhilDirt2012-08-18 20:13

    Here's a stick 955 being run by a guy who knows what he's doing. Definitely a different technique than on a newer one, and lots more planning ahead. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3pGLrn6rvQ