Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track pins frozen up

samson73103 · 2024-06-07 22:03

I have a 4X D6D farm dozer. I have a couple track pins that are seized up. I thought they would free up after running the tractor a bit but so far it hasn't made a difference. I'm here looking for suggestions.

Replies10
  1. #1IceHole2024-06-07 22:07

    And old timer told me they'd trench 2 troughs and pour old diesel, oil, etc then park the dozer in it. Dunno if it ever worked. Shoot a friend logged with a 1960s Allis Chalmers dozer for years and it could only turn left. One day the Utah broke loose and he didn't know what to do. Got so used to backing up to make turns!

  2. #2Nige2024-06-07 22:29

    Water works as good as anything.

  3. #3Welder Dave2024-06-08 22:47

    Water apparently works the best. Have read of cases where nothing worked and then the dozer was ran through a shallow creek bed and it feed everything up.

  4. #4TomA2024-06-09 10:04

    It takes time for a lubricant to seep in there. It is nearly impossible to get in there unless the joint can be submerged for a while. I have a couple of links locked up on my D4. I plan on digging a hole, lining with plastic, filling with water and parking it in there for a while. A creek would be best.

  5. #5BC Placer gold2024-06-09 12:54

    Our 210 had one frozen pin, although it was walked in excess of 40km over a couple of years it wouldn’t free up….tried diesel etc. no luck. Parked the machine in a depression I knew would have water in it over the winter/spring; put kink under the front idler and set the weight of the machine on a heavy steel plate. Came back in the spring and the pin was freed up.

  6. #6Coaldust2024-06-09 18:13

    I hear ya, when I get frozen & stoved-up, a good soak in a hot tub gets my frozen links moving again.

  7. #7Welder Dave2024-06-09 18:39

    Who else is in the hot tub makes a big difference too! I wish I had a hot tub. My back is really aching after moving 1350lbs. of bagged lime out of my truck on Friday. The gash by my eye could have been a lot worse but was maybe a sign I need to stop doing this physical stuff.

  8. #8IceHole2024-06-09 18:52

    I prefer to not marinate in ass juice.

  9. #9ianjoub2024-06-09 19:21

    I have a hot tub. I treat it like any other bath tub. I clean it and fill it with fresh hot water every time we use it.

  10. #10Welder Dave2024-06-09 19:25

    If you have juice coming out your ass you have much bigger problems.