Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

track questions

code54 ยท 2016-10-16 22:29

I am new to rubber tracked machines and noticed that I sometimes get a "pop" sound now and then when coming up a VERY steep hill (under full power) - is that normal. Does not seem the track slipped and they are adjusted correctly. Thanks

Replies11
  1. #1lantraxco2016-10-16 23:29

    Make sure the tracks are tight enough not to slip but not so tight the idlers start to bind. If the sprockets are badly worn and/or the tracks stretched out there may be enough mismatch to the track pitch so that the track lugs hit the tip of the tooth before popping down into the gap. I usually keep the sprockets on the downhill end if possible, though some people are more comfortable with the blade downhill, if it has one.

  2. #2code542016-10-17 20:47

    Thanks for the response! I checked the tracks tonight and they measured within the specs so I "think" that part is fine. The tracks are a little beat up, as in the edges have cuts and some missing chunks but the center are solid and I can't find any broken wires. It seems they used it along a curb and really tore the edges up. (But the machine price was lowered to cover new tracks so I can leave with that). My machine only has 260 hrs on it and the sprockets and everything is solid and tight. When I say I am coming up steep hills I mean I have to place the boom out a ways in front of me to keep my weight up hill and when I go down the same hill I use the bucket to keep me from flipping over forward. I also notice I don't have a ton of extra power coming up the hill but it does fine. Never thought about backing up the hill to see what happens. Thanks for the advice - always been on tractors all my life so tracks are all new to me.

  3. #3kthompson2016-10-25 17:48

    You running in low range up hill? My tracks will pop sometimes but normally in very tight turns. Not expert on tracks but 260 hours and the tracks are in bad enough condition they allowed price break to pay for new ones? Is it possible the tracks came off of an older machine and may not be the ones for yours? Of course depending on what the rubber tracks were running on guess you could destroy them in less hours. Now we do not have rocks here so no idea how true rocks will cut up rubber tracks.

  4. #4Clguest2016-10-25 19:19

    I have had some " popping" on an E35i with under 100 hours. Bobcat's recommendation on adjustment is straightforward; but seems to make them quite tight and to nearly eliminate the popping...check daily. If a stick or rock of 2" diameter gets in the track I believe that may also result in the popping. Like you said, rubber track are new to me so at this stage I am following manufacturer's maintenance guidelines and trusting that their track is good. OMT, I have been told that the chunks out from climbing a curb from parallel travel is not a problem so I assume you are good with that.

  5. #5melli2016-10-26 01:21

    Yeah, I get that on occasion...either my tracks are too loose, or I have a rock in track (usually latter situation is the issue). If I hear a pop, I will usually back up and go forward a couple times to dislodge the rock. The rock causes the track to over-tighten, which creates a mismatch between sprocket and track, hence the pop. I'm in 'nothing but rock' country, and I do my best to avoid picking up those pool-ball to hardball sized rocks. Over the years, I've preferred to keep the tracks a touch loose. If too tight, I get the tracks binding in the rubble I operate in...ymmv. Never lost a track by having it a tad loose...I try to make all my sharp turns on soft material.

  6. #6kthompson2016-10-26 19:32

    If you need to make sharp turn on a bad surface using the boom to lift it and take much of the load off the tracks helps as it does when trying to keep damage to real soft ground does. Almost forgot you will be using the boom swing with the tracks turning to make the load on tracks lighter.

  7. #7code542016-10-26 19:58

    Pretty sure it is small rocks causing it. We have a LOT of gravel around and I have to travel over it frequently. My tracks are to the machine, it was used along a curb pour and the rebar caused them to get damaged all along the edges - the tread depth is great but they are a little rough on the edges. I was working in the woods last week and even climbing out of them I didn't notice any popping so that made me feel better. I checked all the specs and I am within them so that also helps. Can someone explain the best way to do the tight turns while using the boom? That sounds better than my 10 point turns I been doing.... Thanks

  8. #8old-iron-habit2016-10-26 20:08

    Not really an excavator guy, but wouldn't a excavator be the same as any other tracked machine in that its easier on the tracks if the inside track is setting with the center on a small hump to lighten the load on the ends of the track and ease the stress of turning. Just curious.

  9. #9melli2016-10-26 22:10

    As Kthompson mentioned...I rarely use that method, but if in tight (usually trees), very handy. Use stick to raise one side (track) off ground, and then spin the other track (turn the house at the same speed)...you'll pivot on a point. Takes a little practice.

  10. #10melli2016-10-26 22:15

    Not really advisable...puts a lot of strain on roller(s). One of the quickest ways, imho, to burn out your rollers is to do high speed sharp turns...the torque on rollers will screw up the bearings, and they'll drain of oil in no time. Side to side motion on rollers is what kills them. Been there, done that.

  11. #11code542016-10-27 21:10

    Good info - thanks and please keep it coming