I was curious what everyone does with their track shovels during the work day? I run a Cat D6K2 and am trying to come up with an idea to mount the shovel on the machine. I do road work and can't always park my car near the machine and sometimes finish the day very far from where I started, so I prefer to keep a track shovel with the machine. If anyone has pictures or ideas I would appreciate it.
Shaggy, not sure if you can See this pic, I'm new to the forum. this D6T is a bigger tractor than a 'K2' of cause but its gives an idea of how you could look at mounting it. by the way how do you like the D6K2? I had a D6K '08' model and sold it to a friend, I Badly miss it. I still have a D5K in its also a good little tractor!
I would like to see more of that trailer L/G Guy.
Aussie Made one Bro, Drake are nice il see what other pic's I've got
This is a Contractors Rig Pretty sure its a steering axle float too.
I thought of bolting some brackets on the back, like that but the back panel is smooth with no bolts exposed like the older tractors. I like the K2 better than the 6K I had before, Mostly because of the old style SALT undercarriage instead of the system one I had before, much smoother ride. The K2 seems more refined, better door latches, that actually open easy and stay closed(our 6K and 5K have the worst latches known to man) its quieter at idle and a bigger blade. The D6k constantly had dirt coming over top of blade when bulking dirt. Had Topcon 3DMC2 installed as well, and it is really dialed in and working way better than the last machine. The stable blade and traction control features are interesting as well. What GPS system are you running?
Shaggy, You could drill and tap it but you'll need to be carful cause there is a plastic fuel tank in behind there eh! that's interesting I didn't realise they went back to a Salt, I've never had that set up, you are right about the door latches they can rattle them self locked too. we have Trimble and Kommando Digpilot systems on the machines Kommando isn't an auto system but it has Wireless sensors and can be all easily swapped off onto the excavators, sensors and all, plus it is a very user-friendly screen setup. Did you have any trouble this week with your GPS?
Not sure about your dozer but I have slipped the spade end through a handle and then held handle end with a tarp strap.
You can get some tidy little shovels from Off-roading stores(4X4) and come to think of it I've seen shovel holding clamps there too
I'm not gonna drill anything especially with that tank back there. The system one is an option now, my boss is cheap so he gets what ever is cheapest, but in this case I am glad. No problems here this week. The auto on the 3DMC2 is so nice, had the speed up to 2.7 today sub-grading a road, and still smooth as glass. Fresh off the trailer
looks great il have to keep my eye out for a 'K2' rippers are a must have over here.
Is that the job by the prison? I think I saw you running that machine when they loaded me, last Friday when you guys went home because of the rain. You still have a lot of decent soil coming out of there?
If I had a ripper I wouldn't have this problem. Rippers are nice at times I wish I had one but we work in really tight spots sometimes and it would really get in the way. On the older 5G's the rippers kind stuck out and didn't raise up very high, is that still the case with the 6K? I had Deere 650J the ripper pulled up high and tight to the machine, very convenient. I miss that machine
Yes that's the job. We just finished loading out that section today. Gotta do some pipe and put down stone before moving to the next section. They say we are about half way through with the dirt export.
no where near as compact as the D5K but very easy to see what is going on back there. and they are high as you can see
(opps same thing twice, I'm the new kid on the block and still getting use to this)