Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track Tension:

Bandit44 ยท 2008-01-14 07:21

The owners manual says to have 2" slack in the tracks to have them properly adjusted. When I bought this dozer the tracks were level across the top of the tracks. Now they are sagging a bit but I have measured the sag in the tracks and they are still not 2". I have noticed that they are quieter with the sag they have now. When I first bought the dozer I noticed some popping while pushing and turning. My question now is which is better proper setting or let them be a little loose? I have noticed while looking at other dozers for sale that the tracks are so tight that they are completely level across the top of the tracks.

Replies8
  1. #102Dmax2008-01-14 07:44

    I'm not sure what's technically correct but, I get alot more wear out of our rails if the tracks are a little loose. I'm not talking about alot but an inch or two sag between the top rollers is about where ours run. If I try to get them tighter they just end up loosening themselves up. As long as they're not trying to walk off the rollers you're ok

  2. #2Northart2008-01-15 03:05

    Track tension ? So what kind of Dozer are we talking about ? Caterpillar Oval track and Hi track got different specs ! Generally on oval tracks you lay a 2x4 across the tracks. 1 1/2" would be normal. Check the Book ! Tight tracks can be, also when parked, in certain circumstances. So make sure it is in neutral, and on level ground, so no braking action is on the tracks, to create tension.

  3. #3wormkiller2008-01-15 06:32

    Who did you buy it from? I hope not a dealer. Over tight will eat up sprockets. Read the book you may want to back them off a bit, more so if yer runnin in mud. Dont back the release valvecompletley off,some arent meant to be removed without further disassembly.

  4. #4allen3752008-01-25 11:25

    I'm currently runny a JD 450 H LT. My track tension is spec on at 2"(which is what the book says), but when I'm turning and going up hill I find that the low side track starts to make a really bad popping noise. I have very little experience with dozer tracts so maybe its normal, but it sure doesn't sound normal? Any answers guys? Thanks for the help P.S. I love my job now that I have a dozer ::usa

  5. #5DPete2008-01-25 12:02

    Hi Allen welcome to the forum No, that's not normal. Does it look like the sprocket is tring to climb the rail, are there chips out fo the sproket teeth? Poor roller flanges or a bad back roller or rollers ( as in totally shot we call it" cowbell ")or broken recoil spring or just plain worn out UC can cause what you describe

  6. #6wormkiller2008-01-25 16:01

    Allen Check the rear bottom rollers, if the flanges are shot the chain will want to wrk itself into the sprockets and chewin on sprockets sound like popping. If thesprockets feel "sharp" or are tapered on the sides, it's parts changing time.

  7. #7Bandit442008-01-25 16:50

    Northart my dozer is a John Deere 550HLGP. I think when I bought it they had the tracks to tight, they were completely level across the top with no slack. Now that have loosened up some there is about an inch and a half of sag in the tracks. They seem to run better with less noise now.

  8. #8allen3752008-01-29 09:51

    Thanks for the advice. The sprocket still looks pretty good, but the last couple of rollers look pretty rounded off but still have the center groove. I can't really look at the tracks when it does it because no one is usually around and in 8 hours of driving it only does it maybe once or twice. It feels like it is the right track and only happens while turning left and going up hill at the same time. When I look at the left rollers compared to the right ones, they all look the same as far as wear is concerned. Tension is the same on both sides as well. Both sprockets look good. Could the actual track couplings be worn out as well? Just wondering, don't really know a thing about dozer tracks. Happy digging!