Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track tensioner repair

elkjunkie ยท 2018-08-25 23:12

This tb135 tensioner would bleed down in 5 minutes. The o-ring was badly scarred and the back-up ring was half gone. The outer seal was installed lip out (backwards I think). The piston was pitted from previous water damage. My plan is to braze the pitted ring and reinstall with new seals. My brazing skills need improvement. I could still- 1) JB weld the remaining pitting 2) attempt to braze again 3) grind off, weld, and pay for turning 4) buy a new piston for $95 5) call it good and put it together

Replies5
  1. #1Bluox2018-08-26 05:09

    Can you turn the slug around and use the other end? Bob

  2. #2elkjunkie2018-08-26 12:51

    Unfortunately one end of the piston has a cavity for the idler rod and spring assembly. If I had a drill press maybe. The metal seems pretty hard though. Thanks for the idea

  3. #3RZucker2018-08-26 23:45

    The outer seal should be lip out, it's there to exclude dirt. $95 bucks for a new piston seems reasonable to me, I doubt a machine shop would spray weld and refinish for that price.

  4. #4elkjunkie2018-08-27 10:15

    Dammit.... thanks RZ I guess I put the seal in wrong. It is double lipped so I hope it lasts a while. I will have to pull the track and motor again as I couldn't figure out my 2-speed problem and the idler fork on that side is cracked and spread around a half inch. I'm going to limp it along and do some adjusting and welding when winter hits. The track adjuster held for 4-5 hours yesterday.

  5. #5elkjunkie2018-09-20 21:45

    Finally got around to the other tensioner. This one wasn't nearly as problematic. The outer seal was installed "lip in" and I haven't been able to find a definitive answer on the proper install other than RZ's which sounded logical. No pitting on this one so a new o-ring and back-up ring replacement should do the trick. BTW the other tensioner is still holding well.