Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track won’t tighten further

Moulin ยท 2012-11-20 12:18

One of the (steel) tracks on my 5T excavator has become a little loose, and the other isn't far behind. I've tried to tighten with a grease gun however it extends easily and then contracts straight back. First thought is the cylinder seals are bad however surely the idler would have loosened right off? The idler assembly has slid a long way out of it's guide (over 2 1/2" with the pulley spindle showing). Could the ram simply be fully extended? If so, is removing a track link/plate advisable? Thanks in advance

Replies3
  1. #1maddog2012-11-21 07:09

    I'd start with the seals especially if they've been used for a while. I have taken pads out (different machines)before and they've been fine. What machine do you have?

  2. #2ben46a2012-11-21 18:59

    May be alright taking a link out. I'd say if the idler guide is out past the track frame your pins and bushes are wore out. If found with larger machines the chain starts beaking after you take a link out, because everythings just wore thin. But on a light machine you'd likely be okay for a while.

  3. #3Lee-online2012-11-21 19:18

    If its like other machines i have worked on, when they pump out too far they reach over stroke holes that stop it from pumping totally apart. Thes hole can also cut the seals so they should be resealed when the track is removed. It sound like the problem is worn out tracks.