Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tracking down hydraulic oil leak

suladas ยท 2017-06-27 23:45

Got a hydraulic oil leak that has developed recently in my 06 Takeuchi TB153FR. Oil is coming out of both sides where the lines come out of the body to the tracks. I've tipped the cab forward two times now, and cannot see which line it could be. Is there any specific one that could be the culprit based on oil location? Is there something i'm missing that makes the lines more accessible than simply tipping the cab up? I can't imagine trying to replace most of them. It's become a fairly substantial leak, lost probably 2 gallons in about 40 hours since it started. Also when topping up the oil do you need to bleed both pumps of air? I have done so just based on caution and not wanting to take out a pump, but I don't think it's required unless i'm actually draining the tank?

Replies8
  1. #1Ads2017-06-28 04:19

    Have a look under the machine for an access plate. My 138FR has one so the 153 should. Might give you a better look. As for topping up the oil you should be good. Adam.

  2. #2kshansen2017-06-28 07:49

    One note, be careful when checking for a leak if it is a high pressure leak you don't want to get your hands near it while there is pressure on the system. While not likely it is possible to have the oil injected through the skin and that can be a serious medical problem. Same if checking a fuel injection system leak.

  3. #3suladas2017-06-28 19:59

    Yes it has that access plate, I was just hoping I didn't have to try and find it from there. Yes that makes sense, which is why I don't like the idea of trying to find it with machine running, this is one of the times I wish the line would just entirely blow so there is no guess work in which one it is.

  4. #4Ads2017-06-28 21:12

    There's a bunch of hoses in there for the boom so you'll have to clean it up properly and run it to see which hose it is. The previous owner of my machine had to remove the boom to get to the one he blew. They ended up changing any hose in there that looked suspect.

  5. #5suladas2017-06-28 21:19

    Oh that sounds fun. If I have to do that I will most definitely be replacing any with any sort of wear or anything on them, considering lines are so cheap anyway. But in order to get the room wouldn't you need to remove where the swivel boom mounts right to the frame? I don't see where removing the boom where it mounts onto the swivel to be any benefit? Also since i'm digging into it, any idea where the grease hose for the slew bearing goes to? Line got damaged and having a pain trying to get a new end on it, would rather just replace entire line, but no idea where it runs to. Looked at diagrams and it only shows the end where you grease?

  6. #6Ads2017-06-28 23:31

    That's where they removed it from.

  7. #7Bls repair2017-07-24 12:23

    Tip for replacing hard to get at hoses. Get factory hose ,connect hoses together inline . When you pull old one out you will pull new one in.

  8. #8f311fr12017-07-24 19:44

    We use a flag pole string tied to the the 90 degree end and pull the straight end through, Untie the string and make new hose. Plug new hose and use string to pull new hose back through. Attach 90 degree end first. If flat face o ring fittings replace o rings at time of new hose install. A set of hydraulic wrenches are a great help. Martin Sprocket and Gear makes the as well as Tecton,