Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tracks in cold weather

hd78glide ยท 2011-08-31 07:36

I'm trying to determine if I want a wheel or tracked skid steer. One question about a track machine, how to they stand up and perform in -30? My primary use will be personal snow clearing. Thanks...Jim

Replies19
  1. #1Digdeep2011-08-31 10:19

    I have an RC50 and although I haven't been that cold here in Wisconsin the ASV tracks have no problem in cold weather. I was told that they had the same limitations as rubber tires because they have no steel in them. I do know that Bridgestone used to have a temperature limitation becasue it impacted the bond between the rubber and the cables and bars.

  2. #2gggraham2011-08-31 16:53

    A wheeled skid steer vs tracked to clear snow is an easy one...go with the tracks. A wheeled skid steer because of the short wheel base is useless in heavy snow. If the snow is deeper than the bottom of the belly pan they can get stuck real easy. The tracked units do a great job clearing snow. As far as cold temperatures it has no effect on the tracks. Going over curbs and rocks or back dragging with down pressure does all the damage to tracks.

  3. #3hd78glide2011-08-31 19:32

    Thanks! How are the tracks that go on wheeled skid steers?

  4. #4grandpa2011-08-31 19:39

    i wouldn't be so fast to jump onto the track bandwagon for snow removal. I admit that a tracked machine is better at pushing snow than tire's...goes thru deeper snow than tires and does everything better than tire's...... except............ tires can move snow and have been for many years. The cost difference between track's and tire's make it a no brainer.... park the track machine and use tire's.... keep the money spent on track's in your own bank account.... and i own both types.

  5. #5dirty4fun2011-08-31 20:32

    Been pushing snow for quite a while, with a wheeled skidsteer. Had a 10' Western that I made work for a few years, with lots of strengthing due to not made for a skidsteer's extra push and the weight. Last year I switched to a Virnig A plow, the only time I couldn't push right through was when we had 18" of wet snow. The lot was about 600' long and it was pushing so much extra snow I had to back up once and hit it to get through. Never had a track machine so not sure how the tracks would hold up on real quick turn arounds. I am more than happy with the way my rubber tired machine moves snow. Most of the people in town can't believe how fast the skidsteer can do a big lot. Small lots and back dragging are the best as you can see how close you are with the blade a little down pressure and pull it away from the garage, then push it out. I have a pickup truck and almost hate to plow with it,as it takes for ever to do anything tight with it.

  6. #6CM19952011-08-31 21:44

    Grandpa you know that I have no experience pushing snow but I as well have been re-evaluating the track skid vs wheel skid and that is some very good advice depending on operating conditions. I believe that as folks get to replacing undercarriages on track skids they will start to see the true operating costs. A tracked skid has it's place but at a cost. Having a wheel skid and a track skid is the ideal situation, as both machines have their places. The undercarriage costs per hour on my T250 is higher than any other piece of iron I have (from my historical costs), which includes a 953C and a D5G.:cool2

  7. #7hd78glide2011-08-31 22:30

    I appreciate all the info! So much to think about. There is a 1989 Thomas T133 heated cab with three buckets with 4000 hours for sale local, but I didn't want to get something that old, however the price is 10,900. Got some thinking to do...

  8. #8hd78glide2011-09-03 07:14

    Well after ready a number of comments here and on other threads, I think I will go with a wheeled machine. The extra cost to purchase and the operating costs are too much to justify a tracked machine. The only way I would buy a track machine is if it had a new undercarriage, or was brand new. And I won't be buying brand new.

  9. #9grandpa2011-09-03 08:15

    :tong Grandpa you know that I have no experience pushing snow but I as well have been re-evaluating the track skid vs wheel skid and that is some very good advice depending on operating conditions. Ya I know. The only cold things you push is ice cube's with your swizzle stick!! :tong

  10. #10CM19952011-09-03 09:34

    I have been known to do that on occasion....:beerchug

  11. #11AdoptedYooper2011-09-03 10:12

    I assume chains on all 4 wheels would give it an edge over a tracked machine in both snow and ice. Is this correct?

  12. #12grandpa2011-09-03 16:55

    No chain''s won't have an edge.... track's float over deep snow.

  13. #13grandpa2011-09-03 16:57

    Wise decision... very wise.

  14. #14BDFT2011-09-03 18:40

    Actually chains do give you an edge if you are plowing snow. You are usually driving on the road you just plowed. If you just want to drive around in the snow like a snowmobile, get a track machine. Another thing I have found with the track machine. You can't chain them up on the ice. They either push or they spin.

  15. #15grandpa2011-09-04 05:17

    I guess probably in your area chains would be of benefit due to the warmer temp's. Here in Minnesota the snow only melts once and thats aroung april...lol.... traction is not an issue in cold climates. Depth is.

  16. #16xcmark2011-09-04 10:25

    backing out of pile having chains is the big benifit , My track machine in wet snow is like driving on ice once you scrape it once. I know there is track and tire ice screws that I may try at some point.

  17. #17cartzblown94z2011-09-06 14:47

    the asv and newer cats to me seem the only machines worthy in snow, otherwise wheeled machines are the way to go

  18. #18Kobe1302011-09-14 13:17

    One of my skids in a Thomas 233HD. I love this machine. Used it a lot for snow removal and some times clearing beach debris. I made a set of chain-type tracks for it by copying other designs. They actually work pretty well. In snow they turn the machine into a nice little Cat with cleats. The only problem with it is it can't throw snow. In dry conditions on normal soil they are of no benefit. :cool2

  19. #19ctheddy2011-10-21 00:12

    Have both, been there done that, would even considering buying a track machine to clear snow unless it was to maintain a mountain trail. Nobody has mentioned this yet, but I would definitely get something with 2 speed, and a damn good cab and heater! After all time is money and comfort = more time in the seat. Good money in snow clearing especially with 2 speed lots go twice as fast and its easy to travel without a trailer I also find that the reduced torque in 2nd gear allows less tire spin...(even more money in your pocket) Tires are much more forgiving when you run over all that stuff you couldn't see under the snow. They are a little tough to get thru to the lot but once you get a spot clean your in business. If the snows too deep to drive over without draggin the belly pan, just push it... Aside from all that you should look into cutting edges, parking lots destroy those things, and that adds up regardless what machine you have... Good luck