Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tracks on Snow

LWG ยท 2011-09-09 21:22

I have a T200 CTL that I use for snow plowing on a very steep driveway with a 90* turn in the middle, sloping downhill. When it gets icy, getting up and down the driveway is a challenge. I have spun downhill doing "donuts". There are a number of studs for sale on eBay. It seems that some of the cheaper steel studs are used for motorcycle tires, and the more expensive carbide studs are for skidsteers. The thicker parts of the pads on my tracks could easily take 3/4" shanks for the studs, and the ads imply that the studs can be taken out as easily as they are put in. I have read that while tracks can "ramp up" over snow better than tires, on icy surfaces the low ground pressure of tracks results in horrible traction. Has anyone tried studs to increase traction on CTLs? I've never heard of it, but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Replies8
  1. #1Bossfoss2011-09-09 23:16

    I too plow snow with my track machine and incur the same problem. Love it when I slide down hills out of control lol. I have thought about studding mine but didn't know if it would damage the tracks. I would do it in a heartbeat if I could take them out and know that it didn't produce long term problems for my tracks. The floatation on just snow is amazing. I enjoying pushing the limits on where I can take mine just to see what it can do

  2. #2LWG2011-09-10 10:08

    My tracks are getting a little chewed up, and I have started thinking about replacing them. If the studs were to tear up the tracks, at this point I wouldn't be losing all that much. So, this might be the winter I give it a try. Part of the driveway has just been resurfaced, and looks great. I don't want to tear it up. I guess no matter what I, there will be some damage, whether I use a smaller wheel machine with chains, or the studs in tracks.

  3. #3KSSS2011-09-10 13:58

    Bridestone makes a Polar Track that is supposed to be pretty effective on snow and ice. Having a set of snow tracks and a different set for dirt would be an investment for sure but might be an option. If you go to ******** they will have the answer to your questions.

  4. #4KSSS2011-09-10 14:02

    ******* Really? Block a website name that talks about the snow removal industry?

  5. #5BDFT2011-09-10 19:08

    Try this thread. Google is your friend. http://www.letstalksnow.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19809

  6. #6Bossfoss2011-09-10 23:29

    That polar tread looks neat but I don't plow enough to justify a second set of tracks

  7. #7MChabra2012-01-02 03:34

    I use maxigrip snow studs. They screw in with a standard drill and are great. Use them on tire machines too ... or screw them into the bottom of your boots!

  8. #8LKOIVULA2012-01-02 16:40

    I bought the right track system,edmonton,alberta.they supply ice cleats for tracks.phone 780-4819473