Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tractor anti-freeze/oil problem/leak HELP!

ProudMarineDad ยท 2009-12-18 09:12

I'm not sure if i'm in the right place to ask this question. I have 1998 Ford/NH Boomer 1630 27 hp compact tractor. I noticed the other day i had anti-freeze dripping from overflow tube. It had a dark oily look to it not normal green color. Temp gauge on dash was normal. I also noticed a small drip leak in the front bottom area of engine. I checked the oil dipstick, oil level normal but it looked thin and had some small bubbles in the oil. I'm no mechanic but i know this can't be good. Can someone tell me what i need to do,ask or look for when i take it in to be checked. Head gasket or cracked head problem? Could the bubbles be anti-freeze in the oil and vice versa? Any help on this issue is appreciated.

Replies4
  1. #1bill onthehill2009-12-18 17:53

    I would drain the oil and see what comes out. As you are in Texas I doubt that it froze and hurt something. Did you overheat it lately? Could be head gasket but start with a good look at what comes out.

  2. #2gggraham2009-12-18 18:11

    Let the machine sit over night, if there is anti freeze in the oil it will settle to the bottom. Pull the plug carefully as there may not be much in the pan. Just let it dribble out into a clean pan. If there is anti freeze in the oil I'd guess you have a head gasket problem since I believe that engine is not a wet sleeve. If you end up pulling the head and find a bad gasket thats great but if the gasket is intact I'd send the head out to get checked. I have seen engines crack heads and allow anti freeze to seep up into the rocker area.

  3. #3taggmann2009-12-25 23:04

    hey Proudmarinedad; Make sure you resolve the antifreeze in oil issue. If enough antifreeze gets picked up buy the oil sump it will seize a crank bearing.

  4. #4Ace2009-12-27 00:41

    Did you find out what the problem was? I just purchased my first backhoe, a 79' Deere310A last week and im afraid I'm having the same issues.