Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tractor hydraulics

[email protected] . · 2025-03-12 19:55

Hi, I have been having an issue with the hydraulics on my tractor. The pump is driven by the timing idler gear and twice in the last week the pump has stopped stripping the timing gear. When the pump is off it moves freely no sign of any issues. I installed a relief valve on the pressure line just in case the pressure was building up and stopping the pump. There I a woodruff key on the driven gear of the hydraulic pump that has sheared but not until it has stripped the timing gear. Any ideas that could cause this, or something to check?

Replies2
  1. #1Entropy12025-03-18 09:50

    How long was this pump working properly - before you started having issues? Did you do any other work on the system? (e.g. installing new spool valve, new hoses, cylinders, etc?). Is this problem unique to a newly installed pump? Installing a closed-center spool valve downstream of a positive-displacement gear pump could absolutely cause this problem. When troubleshooting a problem like this, the best place to start is by revisiting the last place you touched before the problem manifested.

  2. #2[email protected] .2025-03-18 20:00

    Thanks for the advice, no changes to the system, just all of a sudden the stripped gear. The pump is only producing 1000 psi. I have a new pump to go on, and then I’ll check to see if that improves things. I will check the log loader valve bank to see if it is open or closed Center. I have a pressure gauge installed on the system now to monitor.