Here is a 20 ton tag being pulled by a single axle it had a Genie boom lift on went around the bend and rolled the trailer the machine stayed chain on but the trailer got lose from the truck. I was on my way to pick up a box and saw this while I was makeing the bend that why the pic was not so good. Later on that day I was getting a pin made and a guy walks in looking for a new pintel hitch for his truck it was the same guy that rolled the tailer. It seem that the latch bent and thats why he lost the trailer.
a good example of why a 20t trailer shouldn't be on a single axle. better yet I have seen contractors pulling 12t trailers with thier p/u's and it would scare you if you saw what they had on the trailers. what happened to common sense or fear ?
When i saw the guy buying a new pintel hitch they where going to put a 45 ton pintel hitch on the single axle. That what i have on my triaxle the problem is not the hitch it is the driver in my view.
Why shouldnt 20 ton trailers be pulled with a single axle? Thats how we pull ours. We are leagl to put 12 ton on the deck. Like NAC said its more the driver than anything. You cant drive the truck like a sports car.
Are those Genies, or those lifts in general, top heavy?
yes top heavy and long putting all the wieght on the tongue of the trailer
there's nothing wrong as long as you don't over load the truck and balancing the load on the trailer is also important. Just like flying weight&balance!!!!
Ooops! O, It would have been a manufacturing fault then. I hope he's going to sue the butt off somebody I was thinking maybe he was going to fast
I move everything we own with a 20 ton trailer and a single axel. We never load it to 20 tons, 14 is the most, and thats not very often. I mostly move our 8 ton excavator, and it's fine, been through DOT and everything. I wouldnt dream of loading a 160 on and going, thats too much for a single axle, a little common sense is all you need.
I'm sure the latch bent after the trl. rolled or he had negitive tounge weight to start with and the eye lifting up bent it
driver was prym mostly to blame
I bet that left a mark.
Looking at the way the tongue on the trailer is broken, it looks like their might have been some fatigue or a previous crack on the right side of the tongue. You wouldn't think that just the trailer coming loose would cause only one side of the tongue to sever like that?? Kinda confusing to me!!
I don't see anywhere the tongue is broken.
Hard to tell if that is a break or a shadow in the picture.Lower part of the tongue at the triangle?????:beatsme:usa
Problem? Whats the problem :beatsme
don't see anything wrong looks like most U-Hauls going down the road lol.
so being complacent is the object to the lesson here? I mean it can't happen to me! Until an accident does happen do we figure out something is wrong :Banghead
I think that's the shadow of the jack. It seems to me the metal floor between the tongue members would have obvious signs of bending if the tongue had failed, but it looks nice and smooth. A friend of mine ended up in exactly the same situation. Hauling a 65 foot Genie lift, on a 20 ton tag trailer, except that he was driving a tandem. It happened going around a corner, after having been stopped for a red light, in (I think) only 2nd or 3rd gear (out of 10). That's why I asked above whether they're top heavy. A lot of people pointed fingers at him, but seeing this very similar accident makes me wonder if tag trailers are just not suited for hauling those lifts. Could it be that a fifth wheel trailer is more stable, while a pintle gives room for the trailer to lean too much? I guess the moral of the story is to be extra cautious if you're the next guy asked to haul one with similar equipment.
I have come very close to doing that exact thing with a Genie lift on tag trailer. Looked in the mirror and could clearly see the springs completely unloaded and I was crawling around the corner . I am a lot more comfortable pulling stuff with our semi truck and lowbed.
The fifth wheel is inherently more stable side to side. a lot less slack in a king pin. The only side to side movement your going to get with a fifth wheel trailer is the frame rail flex of the trailer itself. I pintle or ball mount tag along will lean all over the place before it counters any resistance.
You guys talk about people hauling that much trailer with a p/u or a single axle haha,, I have seen one guy haul a D3 cat dozer on a 10 ton deckover gooseneck trailer with only one chain.. the funny thing was he wasnt smart enough to balance the load out he just put the blade against the neck and rolled out.. But there are numerous people here that haul a 416 cat backhoe (alot of cat lovers in this area) on a ten ton or larger gooseneck behind a f-350.. and the funny thing is these guys do it all the time and have never got a ticket.. But I am not sure about the guy with the dozer I dont know him..
that's nothing. heading north on I-35 past Denton,TX going 65 mph a 99 crew cab 4x4 ford F-350 SRW pulling a Dual tandem gooseneck, with a case construction King back hoe loaded backwards and a D4 Cat blade on the rear. I passed him going 75 Mph pulling my 6 horse and he looked at me Like I WAS the crazy one.
My dads one friend was telling me he was working residential construction out in the boonies in Northern AZ a few years ago, he put a Ford 655 on a single wheel tri-axle and took to their josite with his E250 VAN. Said it was heavy but it wasnt scary heavy to him. I wish he had taken pics.
most likely the driver is the problem