I have a 2012 wilkens walking floor trailer, we have put new drums, and new shoes on it and even after adjusting the brakes will not hold a loaded trailer. Any help resolving this problem would be appreciated.
Strange.... couple questions first. Has Automatic slack adjusters? It should have. 2 Are you experienced with this type of brake work? Is a picture of the brake shoes, drum, brake pot and slack adjuster with brakes released available?
When you say hold a loaded trailer are you talking parking brakes ? If so the springs may be broken in your brake cans take the rubber plug out shine a light in for a look run your finger in the spring checking for breaks given that they still rely on the foundation brakes to be in good working order have someone apply the brakes and measure the stroke, look for wore s cam bushings brake can mounts rusted and flexing
Parking brake spring check.
I does have automatic slack adjusters, I have done some brake repairs, but I'm no mechanic. I have done some further trouble shooting, and 3 of the S cam shafts have some play in them at the bushing, could this be the problem? Everything else seems to be working properly.
Yes, the parking brake does not hold, stroke is good on all of them, however there is some play in 3 of the bushings, not major, but some. We are thinking this could be the problem.
Parking brake side of the brake chambers is more than likely bad. Moisture, and dirt will cause them to rust the killer spring inside and eventually it breaks. Average life of a brake can is 4 to 6 years and those start to fail.
Will the trailer hold with the jonny bar on the brakes? If it does it would confirm the springs being broken
I will check that out, but just wondering, will the brakes look like they are working with a spring broke?
They do seem to hold better with the jonny bar, but no totally. I guess I better check the springs. Thanks for the info.
Yes-It's really obvious on trailers with sliders.
I will check them out, Thanks.
Need pictures of each brake chamber, brakes set, released, and applied with the jonny bar. Needs to show axle, slack adjuster, and s-cams.
What for? those air chambers are more than likely original equipment. 11 years old.
We have trucks and trailers that are almost 20 years old, and have never had to replace a chamber due to a rotted spring. Not saying that isn't his problem, but I'd sure as heck be verifying that he has the slacks properly adjusted before assuming the chambers are shot. By his own admission, he says he isn't a mechanic.
Really when it comes to brakes unless it's a hands on inspection-all the advise is pretty worthless including mine. 2012 should have auto slacks and unless he measuring the stroke we won't know because there is no camera that will perform that. And one real big fact unless the OP or anyone else on here is brake certified and carrying a {Brake Inspection Certification Card as required under mandate 396.25 section 3{A} as described within the federal register. They can't even touch a air brake system-can't even adjust them. So it's hands off for everyone. But I have been trained and updated to cover all air disc and carry a card.
A couple of the chambers have been replaced, I am not a mechanic but I do know how to adjust the brakes, and they are properly adjusted. They are automatic, but I have found that even these need adjusted ocassionaly, but I don't like messing with the chambers, or s cam bushings, the boss has decide to take it to a shop. Thanks for all the responses, I appreciate them.
Our trailer hauls garbage to a landfill, so they take a lot of mud, and other debris, 2 of them have been replaced, but not recently.
Brake chambers packed full of mud under the piston.
No kidding.
In hellinois, we hauled limestone from the quarries. I used to replace chambers every other brake change which was between 3-4 years depending on the driver. The springs were usually shot a short time past that.
I actually discovered the problem when I checked the travel of the rod with the parking brake on, and with the hand brake on, all 4 chambers had a broken spring, replaced 2 so far, and the park brakes hold like a champ. Thanks to all for the advice, I appreciate it.
Truck I drive is a 2015, all FOUR Spring cans were replaced soon after I started driving it, ALL had bad springs and all four auto slacks were junk.
I have 2 bad adjusters, that is why I haven't changed the other 2 chambers. Doing it this weekend.
I did go to a brake certification class, but I never received my certificate, that was about 24 years ago. I may have forgot some of it, that is why if I don't know, I don't mess with it./
Smart.