Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trailer for d6r

d6peg ยท 2008-07-27 21:58

I am sure this is probably in the wrong forum but I thought it would get more exposure here in the dozer thread than in the trailer section. I am hastily looking at buying a new or a nearly new trailer to haul my D6r on. My question is this what do ya'll recommend, a hydro-tail or a detach? I am leaning to a detach because of the initial cost. Plus I like the benefit of the 22.5 tires versus the 17.5 and the lower center of gravity on the detach. We now have a hydro tail with 8.25by15inch and every time that I move my dozer I have a blow-out and I am sick a tired of it. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies36
  1. #1Countryboy2008-07-27 22:24

    It's a trailer thread though, so it goes in the trailer forum. Gosta keep it tidy around here. I did ya one better though. The thread is located in the trailer forum but there is a "Redirect" left in the dozer forum. How's that for exposure. Now, who's gonna be the first to help d6peg out with his question? :cool2

  2. #2d6peg2008-07-27 23:24

    thanks for the explanation CB. I did put in the title D6r though.

  3. #3fireman0502008-07-28 02:21

    i say go with the hyd detach

  4. #4OCR2008-07-28 02:24

    Hats off to the mods: As of my last count... about 10 minutes ago... HEF had 5,629 registered members. We live in all parts of the world... we are all individuals... all with different dispositions... differing opinions, languages, politics, levels of education, knowledge... young and old... you name it. The one thing we do have in common... all of us... we belong to HEF. I don't want this to come off as sounding corny or patronizing, and to tell the truth, I really have no idea of the inner workings or behind the scenes stuff it takes to run a site like this. There are always times when some, my self included, will push on the edge of the envelope... this is human nature... and it's to be expected... but I've seen very little rudeness or disrespect from the members... and especially so, from the people who run this forum... takes good " people skills ". I just wanted you to know this, and it's my opinion only... I'm sure a lot would agree though. So... thank you. OCR Probably in the wrong thread...

  5. #5Tri-Star2008-07-28 18:52

    I dont know if you have a truck with a hitch to pull a tag but my buddy has a 25 ton tilt top he pulls behind his dump truck and hauls his 6R and 963 on and loves it. It pulls great and he can get in alot smaller spots than a detach! Dont know if this will help but just thought I would run it buy you.

  6. #6hvy 1ton2008-07-28 19:16

    D6r weighs somewhere around 45,000lbs so you can sneek by with a 25ton lowboy. A 35 ton lowboy would probably be better an allow you to expand the range of your equipment without having to buy a new trailer. Then beyond that you need to decide how you want to load and unload your dozer. You can get a mechanical gooseneck, hydraulic gooseneck, or a rigid gooseneck. You could get a folding gooseneck, but those are mostly used for oilfield and winch truck applications. I'm pretty sure Murray has a dealer in Texas now, if not it might be a long drive to their shop. The murray trailer is a MDG that is designed to be rear loaded with anything you can get up the back end. If your in a hurry or not in the mood to detach don't have to. One downside is the truck needs murray ramps installed. http://www.murraytrailer.com/images/new/EasyLoad/Easy_Load_small.pdf Fontaine either stopped making 35ton HDG's or doesn't list them, but here is a MGN they make, not easy to rear load like the Murray http://www.fontainetrailer.com/pdfs/Renegade LXL.pdf 50ton HGN fontaine if you feel that's more your style. http://www.fontainetrailer.com/pdfs/Magnitude51.pdf 35ton HGN trail king http://www.trailking.com/trailers/files/TK_Advantage_Series_Hydraulic_Detachable_Gooseneck.pdf Trail king 25ton and up RGN http://www.trailking.com/trailers/files/TK_TK50LP_Special_Tag.pdf http://www.trailking.com/trailers/files/TK_Rigid_Gooseneck_Trailers.pdf With a little info i can narrow done the choices.

  7. #7Greg2008-07-28 19:32

    Detatch lowboy is the only way to go. My opinion this is to big of a machine o go on a tag trailer. We have a tag but use it for nothing larger than a D4B, D3's skidsteers and the like. I don't like the feel of that big of a machine as far off the ground as a D6 would get. Detach is so sooooooooooo slick to load and unload too.

  8. #8d6peg2008-07-28 20:38

    Thanks for the help guys. I am sure leaning toward a detach. I have found a eager-beaver detach plus it has a beaver-tail and ramps also. The problem that I get into with the beaver-tail is the extra added weight of the trailer, I have to try to stay under 80000lbs if I can because I am running conservation plates. I rented a detach for a month to haul our d8k with and liked the low center of gravity, but it was a pain in the butt to hook up if you were on unlevel ground. I guess the oil boom has snatched all the used detaches up.

  9. #9Tri-Star2008-07-28 20:46

    I agree a detach is the way to go, But depending on where you live and work, alot of roads arent very manuverable with such a big trailer like here in East TN.

  10. #10tonka2008-07-28 20:47

    um here you go.... http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/...on=&keywords=&Name=&Cty=&LS=&SO=42&GroupSort=

  11. #11d6peg2008-07-28 23:03

    Tri-star, that has been a concern for me, as I am on co. roads alot. Tonka, I have that site set as one of my favorites. I kinda like the witzco challenger NGB on the front page. I wish I was closer to Dallas, I would sure have to take a look at it. If I buy it I'll let you deliver it for me.

  12. #12hvy 1ton2008-07-28 23:39

    If your worried about weight the murray easy load would work out really nice. Haven't tried to work out the others, but i'm pretty sure to stay under 80K you'll need a MGN, but you might find a light 35 ton HGN. 10,500lb trailer 20,000lb truck +47,000lb doze r 77,500lbs If you unload the dozer on ground that would make hard to get the detach back together(uneven, soft, or crowned ground) often, something with a beaver tail will be good. I keep suggesting the murray trailers cuz i have seen some other lowboys torn up by rear loading. They make a big deal about being able to rear load anything you can get up there. Hamm doesn't detach their lowboys for anything less than 50K unless it's impossible not to. Their lowboys are speced to be rear loaded, unless they have flip axles.

  13. #13d6peg2008-07-29 00:07

    hvy 1ton, Of all the trailers I have looked at I like the murray trailer probably the best, but it takes too many $$$$. Nice trailer though. Plus I would like to go with 22.5" tires. Thanks for the info. I like to see all the different ideas and I am open to any new ones if they fit in my budget.

  14. #14Chaz Murray2008-07-29 00:31

    I really doubt you will be able to stay under 80,000 with a D6....that 10,000lb trailer weight I think is a bit of a dream unless you can find one of our old 1970's model 16 tire trailers thats 8 wide... the newer stuff is just bigger and in turn makes it heavier...the lightest easy load I have seen in recent times has been in the 12,500 to 13,000 area and that was a bare bones no options trailer. I think you will be stuck, no matter what Mfg. trailer you purchase, with running with a over weight permit. And 17.5 wheels and 235 tires are not a problem...we have used them for years in our own trucking fleet and sold hundreds of trailers with 235 tires and they hold up just fine. there is not much of a benefit going to the 22.5 except that your spare would be interchangeable with the truck ...well that is unless you are running 24.5 on the truck. just curious what kind of price range are ya looking for?

  15. #15Chaz Murray2008-07-29 00:36

    We do not have a dealer in Texas yet but we are looking for one and will be at the Great American Truck show in Dallas next month, Aug 21-23rd. we will have 2 trailers there....a 16 tire professional and a 3 axle interstate...stop by and see us if you are in the area

  16. #16hvy 1ton2008-07-29 01:09

    The PDF lists the easy load at 10,500lbs for a 20ft deck and 11,600lbs for a 24ft deck. Is it low b/c no one orders them at that weight, or b/c they have increased in weight structurally?

  17. #17Chaz Murray2008-07-29 01:29

    that weight is right but that is a bare bones trailer no options at all. We have not built a 20ft deck in at least 2 years and I think that was for a Fire Dept anyway...About the shortest we have built in recent times is a 23'4". But nowadays everyone gets 3/4" flanges vs. 5/8" or 1/2" like we use to do, fenders over the tires, ramp storage pockets in the rear, chain boxes etc etc etc etc...so all that stuff adds up quick 100lbs here 500lbs there and there ya are up to 13,000lbs in a hurry. I guess we need to come up with a carbon fiber trailer or something then we can get the weight down to almost nothin haha

  18. #18hvy 1ton2008-07-29 01:47

    That's what i figured, just curious was all.

  19. #19d6peg2008-07-29 22:33

    Chaz, I would like to stay around the $45,000 for a new trailer. Ultimatly, I would like to find a good used trailer that is about 3yrs old and in very good condition. I have a dad that is 76yr old and he needs something that is pretty much automatic, that is why I love your trailer with the air beaver-tail, plus I need to be where I can get my little pickup on the trailer when I need to. I think I can get under the 80,000lb limit with my truck and the machine alone, axeling out might be a problem though. According to the specs my operating weight with the 6R is only around 44,000 to 45,000lbs and the truck only weighs about 17,250lbs.

  20. #20Countryboy2008-07-30 02:22

    Thank you for the kind words. We appreciate feedback like this, good and bad, because it lets us know how we are doing with the site. We strive to give yall the best experience possible. Yall, the members are the ones who make this place what it is though. Without yall, there would just be the staff, trying to out-moderate each other. We would just be sitting here playing "Moderator Roulette" with the ban buttons. Before you know it, all the staff would be banned and there wouldn't be anybody left. So, back to the topic....What are Conservation Plates?

  21. #21OCR2008-07-30 03:58

    Bite the hand..... I see... try and give the Mods a little complment... and you get made fun of... ... Seriously though... you do a good job of keeping things civil here... :thumbsup OCR I thought that post would let me get away with more stuff. ... :lmao

  22. #22Countryboy2008-07-30 04:13

    Naw, it was actually a serious question. Us Mods aren't born with the infinite wisdom some believe we have. We do have to ask questions sometimes. Finally, the truth comes out... :nono :drinkup

  23. #23OCR2008-07-30 04:29

    Hijacked!!! I knew it, I knew it... I should never have given my user name and password to that "so called friend of mine"... The real ... OCR... :lmao... :lmao Now back to " Trailer for d62 " What are conservation plates?

  24. #24Bellboy2008-07-30 13:32

    Um,,, I would say go for folding gooseneck, but you kinda need a winch on the truck, otherwise just a stepdeck with ladders works just fine. Just my .02 cents worth.

  25. #25Chaz Murray2008-07-30 17:03

    Just for my own curiosity why a folding gooseneck vs. a hydro or mechanical detach?

  26. #26d6peg2008-07-30 21:47

    Here in Texas conservation plates are issued through the county, but only 1 plate per contractor. So if you have 2 trucks on one then you are SOL on the other truck. Conservation plates allow you to go over-width and over-height but not over weight. That way you dont have to buy any permits. You have to be registered with the NRCS (national resouce conservation service).

  27. #27Countryboy2008-07-30 22:00

    I'm following you now. Thanks for the clarification.

  28. #28D4E SA2008-07-30 22:35

    The Murray easy load would be the best for a D6.There not the cheapest just the best.I have 13 murray trailers.We load everything we can over the back from skidsteers to 115,00 pound machines. I havnt had any problems with cracks in the trailer.The detachable gooseneck is good for certain conditions or loads.The wide gooseneck the Murray has is a lot safer than the narrow necks the other trailers have.The resale value is better also.The problem with a hyd tail is,you cant always unload on even ground, with a dove it does not really matter.We work the fire departments so the unloading conditions arent always the best.Just my two cents.Buy a Murray Problem solved.

  29. #29Countryboy2008-07-30 22:47

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums D4E SA! :drinkup

  30. #30hvy 1ton2008-07-31 01:04

    Have a feeling that bellboy suggested a folding neck trailer because it's what he is used to. I wouldn't use a folding neck for anything but oilfield work. Folding neck trailers are normally on the heavy side, the winch on the truck eats up more payload, and the trailer is pretty useless if your winch truck goes down. Plus, you're shoving the plate into the mud or whatever else every time you fold it. The military uses folding neck lowboys, and it makes a lot of since. Their heavy prime movers all have winches, the extra strength and weight is a plus for the application. And, It's not like the dot is gonna pull em over, I mean they're built overwidth from the get-go.

  31. #31Bellboy2008-07-31 11:01

    U kinda right. i can only suggest those two as they are the onlt ones i know. I have NO idea how mechanical & hydraulic detach work!

  32. #32Chaz Murray2008-07-31 11:34

    There is a video on the front page of our web site, www.murraytrailer.com of a mechanical neck detaching. or search on you tube for Murray Trailer and there is one on there also. A hydraulic neck trailer works kinda the same way but instead of having to pull the truck out from under the trailer to get the deck to set on the ground. Hydraulic rams in the neck would lower the deck to the ground then you would just pull away with the neck still on the truck.

  33. #33Bellboy2008-07-31 12:36

    Very interesting. But so much back and forth for that. But thanks, now I know.

  34. #34Bellboy2008-07-31 13:08

    Thanks.

  35. #35catskinner 102008-07-31 16:37

    I personaly like the 50 Ton LoadKing that I have. It's folding gooseneck is Hyd powered from an on board set-up or from a wet kit on the truck. It's also 102 wide, and with a leg on each side,and control valve you can level up the trailer on uneven ground. TGP 38yr member IUOE 520

  36. #36RKO2008-07-31 22:04

    Folding Neck trailer I'm just the opposite, I would not own a detach trailer. I have had two and now have two Hyd. Folding neck trailers and would not own anything else. First they are not any heavier than a detach. I know I weighted them both. Second you can use them on any truck you want. Next the truck is not tied up while you are loading , the truck can go do some thing else while you are loading. also You can load some thing on the neck on a folding neck trailer. I usually haul my S10 Blazer or fuel trailer on the neck. The necks on a folding neck trailer are the same width as the trailer most detach are just 38 inches wide and are not able to haul anything. No weight or stress is put on truck while loading of hitching truck up. I have never had a problem raising the trailers with the feet. Last. the neck gives you a good ramp. My trailers ramps/neck raise about 16 inches in 15 feet. That is a little over 1 inch raise per foot. Most detach ramps raise 18 inches in 2 feet. Try to pull something dead up that???