We had a truck driver pick up a pipelayer last week on a trailer that was a 2 axle jeep+ 3 axle trailer+ 2 axle tag, the trailer did not have a normal neck on it, the neck was solid and to pick the trailer up to ride height, it has 2 hydraulic rams on top of the trailers kingpin. Has anyone seen this kind of trailer before? It seemed kinda sketchy to me.
Did it look like this? http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=4300737
yep, that's the trailer
There is nothing to be concerned about anything like that. I am the one that had Etnyre build the trailer specifically for and sold it to the people who have it now. The person who has that trailer now is CD International out of Edmington, AB. They also have a 85ton 13 axle setup that is similar that I sold them. It is an old design from back in the 70's, but I had it updated to today's engineering. The reason it has such a high lift on the tower box is because it does not need rollers on the front or ramps on the jeep to pick up the trailer like the old design was. It has more travel to compensate for not needing it. I did it to keep the empty weight down as much as possible, but still have hydraulics on the trailer if you wanted to "short neck" the trailer on job sites. The trailer weighs 10,000# lighter then any other west coast 2+3+2 65ton of similar setup. Justin Blackwell
Here are more pics of it. He is only 62,500# empty which most anyone that knows anything about trailers would call them a lier.
Here is a 1974 Cozad with the same design. This is a double gooseneck steerable trailer, so it has a tower in thet rear neck also. This design has been around quite a while.
HA, arrow trucking. I think theres still people looking to put their old CEO's head on a platter.
Thanks guys, I was curious. The first picture of the trailer was taken in front of our shop.