Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trailer Tire Recommendation

sagepf · 2018-09-22 20:17

I have just recently purchased a 18ft Maxey tandem axle equipment trailer that was used to haul an ASV RT-120 for a drilling company. The machine with attachment weighed about 14k so I was told they upgraded the axles to 8k axles because they kept blowing axles. The heaviest machine I haul with it right now is a Bobcat S300 but that can change. The tires on it need to be replaced and I was hoping you could give me some suggestions. The current tires on it are Goodyear G614RST Load Range G LT235/85R16. For the most part it will be highway miles but I am on dirt roads also. Right now I'm not wanting to switch over to 17.5 rims only because I'm not sure how long I will hold onto it.

Replies14
  1. #1Tenwheeler2018-09-22 22:02

    Those Goodyears are expensive for a 16 inch tire at about $275. I thank Michelin and Bridgestone have something similar but I only got deer eyes last time I asked. Used to run Yokahomas but I was told that did not exist. Yes it does because I am reading off the tire while I am talking to you on the phone. Those were some really tough 7:50-16's with a sidewall as thick as your thumb. In these size tires you can read things like: 4 plies sidewall 6 plies tread same as 10 plies. To my understanding some of the new products used making tires allow for less plies and the tires last longer due to less heat retension. The 614 may only have 2? sidewall plies but is rated for 110 PSI. I keep trying to slow my wife down but she says the truck performs best if the cruise is set at to 78 +. Never had a problem with a 614. That being said you know the sidewall is thin. If you are running over sticks and stumps I would buy something else. Keep with the load range G. If you go from 16 to 17.5's you also have to change all the wheel studs and nuts. Buy North American, European, Australian, Japan, anywhere but you know where. Oh I just meant to say tires are speed rated if you check it out. If you buy a tire speed rated at 60 MPH and run it on the interstate expect problems.

  2. #2old-iron-habit2018-09-23 22:52

    Can't remember their name right now but there is a wheel manufacturer in the Minneapolis area that will make wheels in the size and with the bolt pattern you want. When my tire wear out next time on my 12,000 lb gooseneck axles I am going to the low profile 19.5s. Built like a real truck tire running 100 lbs. of air pressure folks using them are claiming to get twice the mileage per set as the smaller wheels and no more blowouts. Some trailer manufacturers are offering them as options now on new trailers.There are a couple of posts on here about them from about a year ago if you search.

  3. #3ianjoub2018-09-25 09:53

    I have Carlisle 235/80-16 G rated. I pay $125 each for them. The 85 series in the same tire is $130.

  4. #4Tenwheeler2018-09-26 21:35

    Are they DOT approved? The 16 inch and low profile 17.5 have about the same overall height. The 19.5's is a pretty good jump. Have you ever put them on the interstate when it is 100 degrees for long periods of time? Probably great for what he is doing and a good price.

  5. #5Junkyard2018-09-26 21:51

    If it’s a 100 degrees and you’re loaded close to capacity I don’t care what tire you have in use during a long period of time you’re going to severely shorten its life. Maybe not that day but in short order it’ll sling the tread. Short of some of the total crap tires if one applies common sense you can get good life out of most brands. Keep them properly inflated, stay off curbs and the shoulder, keep them out of the sun and for Pete’s sake don’t run 75 mph when it’s a 110 in the shade.

  6. #6AzIron2018-09-26 23:28

    Dido to junkyard You can always tell when it's hot lot of trucks on the side of the road needing tires around here usually guys are running good tires by mid ju all the junk ones wont make a summer at 115 degrees in the afternoon I just put a new set if 16 on last week it's an off brand tire but seems to be made well enough they are 14 ply noticed a big difference in side wall give with the first load The big thing you got to watch with 16 inch rims is the rim rating wont hold what the tire will on most rims unless you buy the beefy ones

  7. #7ianjoub2018-09-27 08:00

    No. My long runs are 15 miles and I rarely hit 60 mph. 4400# rated tire x 8 tires is 32,500#. My trailer load limit is 26,000#. This has to help a bit too.

  8. #8Tenwheeler2018-09-28 20:37

    Have had great luck with Firestone Transforce local.

  9. #9old-iron-habit2018-09-28 22:17

    The 19.5s are the factory tires on the F-550s. I switched mine out at 77,000 because I wanted winter tread for in the woods. Plan on using the six summer tread ones off the truck on my trailer to run them out. Having to buy only 2 tires will just about pay for the rims. The F-550 capacity is rear axle at 12,500 lbs, front is at 6,000. I have run them hard loaded non-stop to CA and back a number of times with no problems in both heat and cold. Admittedly the winter tread I am running now is wearing the tread faster. Both sets are load range H. The 19.5s are the same height as the 17.5s on my dump trailer and a inch taller than my stock gooseneck tires.

  10. #10sagepf2021-01-08 13:12

    I ended up going with Hartland brand (Discount Tire) and they have been great. I have only been on gravel roads a handful of times but they've held up. I put the same tires on our 24k gooseneck and they've held up great. Thanks again for all the recommendations.

  11. #11Old Doug2021-01-09 21:33

    Did you have them shiped to you or get them at a store?

  12. #12sagepf2021-01-10 12:57

    I got them at the local store.

  13. #13Legdoc2021-01-10 21:15

    My 20' trailer with 7k axles came with China bombs that were out of round. Unloaded that trailer jumped like a bronco. Even make anyone in the dually nausiated. Replaced them with Goodyear 614s at about $300.00 each. That was painful but now smooth hauling.

  14. #14NepeanGC2021-01-15 13:19

    I've been happy with our Sailun S637 tires. Still a china tire, but much better than the cheapies. Cheapies used to last me a year with the mileage we do. These we're going on season 3. I tried a set of Goodyears and only got a season out of them too.