Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trailer weight

Brandt ยท 2025-05-07 18:30

What is the difference in weight for an all steel step deck vs a steel frame - alum deck vs an all alum step deck?? I need a 53', but if you have numbers for a 48' I can take that into account.

Replies14
  1. #1Tyler d4c2025-05-07 19:05

    The new all aluminum walbash stepdeck is 9990 pounds its a 48 i think.

  2. #2Truck Shop2025-05-07 21:06

    53' spread axle step decks for aluminum run anywhere from 9,500 to 10,800. Steel 11,000 to 12,500. But there are allot of variances with all of these because of all the special options for crossmembers, binder/chain boxes, load winches and so on.

  3. #3Brandt2025-05-07 21:39

    Thanx. Good info. Yes, I know it is a general question, with lots of variables. I always hear of the infamous 48,000 lb load that must be hauled. My Western Star is 21K full of fuel and ready for the road. I want to make sure I was gonna be able to haul the 48K load. I'm looking at a 53' all steel now. It has a beavertail, so I'm gonna guess 13K -13.5???

  4. #4cuttin edge2025-05-09 18:57

    What is your allowed gross weight? In this province. I can gross 49500kg or a bit over 109000 pounds. That's tri axle trailer, tandem truck

  5. #5Truck Shop2025-05-09 21:05

    Down here a tandem tractor with 3 axle trailer will max at 88,000 on average gross. A tractor with a drop at proper distance from center of rear drive can carry 12 on steer 43 on the drop/ drive group, and 43 on a 60" axle spread three axle 53' with axles all the back on slider for a total of 98 thousand. And depending on max tractor WB 99 thousand. From bumper to rear edge of trailer at 75'. And that's not all states, many have restrictions.

  6. #6Brandt2025-05-09 21:18

    The 48K load is for 80,000 states. With a spread axle you can go 86K if the axles are all the way back. The trailer, I would like, the axles won't be all the way back due to the beavertail. I would guess I could go 84,000 but won't "know" until I hook onto it and do measurements. The reason for the trailer purchase, is that I am tied of pulling heavy. Currently I go 112K in a hopper A-Train, and winter is NO fun at all.

  7. #7cuttin edge2025-05-09 21:20

    At one point we could run an air lift axle with adjustable down pressure. Rule of thumb was 65000 pounds on the trailer would be 65 pounds in the air lift. I think it was an extra 10 pounds for a Turner quick lift. If you were a bit over on the drives, a bit more air would make you legal. You can still run sn air lift, but it can't be adjustable.

  8. #8Truck Shop2025-05-09 21:41

    68 to 70 psi on tag for tractor=9,000 for drive group of 43.

  9. #9skyking12025-05-10 00:57

    I always marveled at the crap weather my friend Slim had to run to Boise. He'd cross into Oregon at Hermiston and triple up for the rest of the way. I can see getting back to simple.

  10. #10cuttin edge2025-05-10 06:52

    This was an air lift on the trailer. Center axle. It was always placed farther ahead than the other 2. You hauled on the dot scales, they would have a pad for your steering axle, one for your drives one for your tri axle or air lift and one for your rear trailer axles. In those days, your trailer was 43, 45, or 48 feet. Never heard tell of a 53 footer. No idea of spread numbers. I was 19. Tri axle lifts were all set the same for the weight of your load except a Turner quick lift. It had 4 airbags for down pressure, and 2 upside-down leaf springs to bring it up off the road for sharp turns. New Brunswick and nova Scotia had scales at their border. If you were over on your axle weight you were given the chance to adjust it without being fined. More or less air in the lift, would change weight on your drives to a point. Jump to today. Air lifts are still a thing, adjusting them is no longer a thing and 3 rear trailer axles are set equidistant. Scales no longer have a lift axle pad. Our float truck has a pusher but I have no idea if it is adjustable. Only time I see it being used. Is when they move the 470, or the asphalt transfer vehicle

  11. #11Truck Shop2025-05-10 07:16

    It's always been a max three axle weigh pad here with DOT scales, but everything has been individual axle weights for years down here. Only years ago, like back in early 80's were you allowed to adjust. Haven't been able to do that for years. Drop axle regulators {outside of cab} can have switch to raise/lower and psi gauge in dash. Never were allowed to just add psi to correct/adjust weight. 53 foot trailers are standard issue down here for years, going back 30. DOT sales here have been weigh on the the fly for years. I hauled into Vancouver years ago and those scales were drive through at that time-port entry.

  12. #12cuttin edge2025-05-10 08:17

    in those days, air ride trailers were rare. Only airbags were on the lift. Some single axle trucks would have a rear tag axle with air down, spring up. But that was mostly short haul. For a while, canadian trucks that were bound for the states would be air ride, and have a huge spread and no 3rd axle. 53 has been the standard here as well. My over the road driving was short lived once I realized how much I would be on the road. This would have been during and right after high school. It actually turned me towards a short stint in university which in turn pushed me to construction. And here I am 30 some years later. Edit. I was rambling. Around the time I was getting sick of trucking, 53 foot vans were getting more common, and have been the standard since. 89 90

  13. #13Truck Shop2025-05-10 19:33

    We didn't go air ride on trailers till 10 years ago, were all 60" spread spring ride. Not much heed for it with frozen loads. We had less issues too.

  14. #14DMiller2025-05-25 16:17

    Did not get onto Air Adjustable Lift Axles beyond Dump Drops that were Cab Controlled until recently. DOT Looked poorly on Regulators in Cab for the Dump Trucks Drop Axles but was no legislated rules back then for them here. ALL The axles we have at the yard are Cab Control UP/DOWN and Regulators are on the Panels except the Drops on the Short Travis End Dumps.