here are a few pics from a train wreck i went to a few weeks back.
Gotta love those panels, just cut out the bad stuff, lay those down, bolt 'em up and you've got track. We used some of ours at a derailment I tell ya, that's the fastest 150 feet of track I've ever laid down. We had 10 premade and sitting in our yard, load them out at 5 per truck and we were off. Unloaded them either using log trucks, excavators or loaders. How long was that? Did you use just panels or did you rebuild some too?
the panels were about 25ft each we used two truckloads of them and had to rebuild the rest. my crew was one of two subcontracted by rjcorman the main contractor on the job. we ended up replacing nearly a mile of track. while we were there we had amr and fd on scene due to some hazardous material in some of the cars 45 of the 70 cars on the train derailed.
this is corman's website www.rjcorman.com
more pics
Hello 95zIV, and fireman050, Clue us in on the panels if you could... I was looking at picture #4, and it looks like track pre-spiked to the ties... I would guess these are panels. If so, can you lay them on the bed with an excavator, or does it take a machine that runs on the rails? On average, do you have to do much work on the bed after a derailment like this... sounds like you've done this stuff a time or too. You know how some of us are... have to know every thing about everything...:cool2 I might be totally of track with all this guessing too... :lmao Thanks, OCR
OCR you guessed right panels are prefabricated sections of track
Thanks a lot... that didn't take long... but I see you're on line. And now I know a little more... about a little more... ... Thanks again, OCR
no problem you should check out corman's website lots of cool pics
got to see one happen in front of my house in the 70s very scary. 9 railcars tossed around like toys. a little advice to those that stop right at the crossing as a train goes by. 40 ft. from my crossing a car or truck and everything in it would have been history
Thanks again, I did check the web site... and I see Mr. Corman is recovering from a very nasty illiness... the prognosis looks like a complete cure... :thumbsup Unfortunately... a friend of mine with the same thing... well, the future doesn't look so bright... ... OCR
No body seems to think about it???? Couldn't have been said better... I've told lots of people that same bit of advice... me, I stay as far away as I can... and I mean far... for that very reason... OCR
Were those trolleys part of the cargo or were they removed from the wrecked cars? Are the side boom dozers for uprighting the cars or are they part of the track repair crew?
Steve, Those are called trucks, but they came off of the cars that derailed, the only thing that keeps them together is gravity, the cars sit on top and that's it. I've got some pictures of the bottom of some cars that were flopped in a derailment that I worked here in VT. The side booms where most likely there to pick and clear the cars off the track. I don't know how many of those cars weren't hurt, but if they're in good shape, they'll set the axles and trucks back together on the track. Then pick each end of the cars and roll the trucks underneath then push them down the track to clear the area. The side booms can also be used to do the track work too, but what dealings i've had with corman, they upright and clear the track then either the railroad or a contractor comes in and does the track work. We had full 39 foot panels with 115lb rail on them and 2 pairs of joint bars on them so that we had everything we needed on the site.
The panels that we use are 40 ft, they are pre spiked, anchored and drilled for a bar joint. All the derailments that I have beeen on, there was really no damage to the subbase. It was just a matter of removing the old ballst, and setting the panel in place. we used volvo T-hoes to set the panels with(290,330,360).
What division were the Corman guys from? Was it just one crew? Which R/R was it? Where was the wreck? How long till traffic was back online? Great pics! Thanks. :thumbsup
they were from memphis they had one crew doing the cleanup and another doing reconstruction it was a kansas city southern line the wreck was in copiah county the line was back online in 5 days
Thank you.
I had a train wreck just down the road from me, and I got some pics. They sent down the Spoornet Krugersdorp recovery train, and the Germiston recovery train, both complete with Cowans Sheldon and Gottwald cranes, both with two massive Cat D9 traxcavatas. Will post pics. Germiston is quite far away, but the closer train was lacking a crane. Krugersdorp is also far away, but we were up visiting family there when we found the recovery train at Millsite. We saw it at our local station, Cedara when we came back down. Millsite is supposed to be for steam railway preservation, and to cut a really long story short, I also found a Samsung high cab, don't know model, loading trucks with the scrap from all the cut up locos. looked like an abattoir, with all the cut up loco parts everywhere. Got pics, will post.
There was no Corman Division there, The Division that that cleared the wreck and provided and set the panels was B&P Enterprisies Derailment Division out of Southaven, MS. We cleared the main of the cars with a CX330 while Hulcher's Jackson, MS Division used there sidebooms and there bucket to drag the cars into a field.
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums BIGDIRT! :drinkup
I was going to say that track loader and side booms were hulchers. We worked with them on a derailment here in North central Pa two years ago.
http://www.budandraven.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=322 if you go to that link there is about 800 pics from various derailments and other rail road jobs i have been on in the past 4 years. i would have alot more but i ran over my camera last month.
oh ok i could have sworn that was corman by the way the trackhoe looked, by the way did you see our mini pumper there it was a white ford f550 from hinds county?
I've worked around Corman's Atlanta Division. Their equipment and Hulcher's equipment can be hard to tell apart from a distance short of the decals.....:Banghead