Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Training Day

770G ยท 2012-06-06 20:08

I have taken a rookie under my wing as per the higher up's. So I'm out with him and we are grading in tandem, stopping along the way to assist him and give pointers. Kinda funny cause he's so nervous, I remember when I was just starting out I was the same. But today he wanted to do the 1st cut on an 8km road, so of course I said he could. Keep in mind that I am trying to teach him everything I can.....BUT You gotta have a bit of fun with the new guy too. LOL http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh530/ONTHEPIPE33/ed657ed7.jpg Here we are on 1st and 2nd cut, rookie in the lead. When we stopped he was so worried he was going way to slow. I just told him "Ah man, just f#$kin with ya".

Replies10
  1. #1770G2012-06-07 23:14

    Well a week has gone by and he is now getting cut loose..... For now . Cause I'm being sent out to follow the belly dumps, 2 weeks of fresh gravel. YIPEE Not sure if he is ready though, he has the no how but still lacks the confidence. Time will tell I guess

  2. #2robin yates uk2012-06-07 23:35

    he will remember you in all the years to come. A good teacher is never forgotten and I'm sure he will improve with your continued support, good luck to both of you:drinkup

  3. #3lonkinggroup2012-06-07 23:48

    Envy you guys,keep working.

  4. #4Bluetop Man2012-06-08 09:15

    And he'll know years down the road when he's got you beat...:beatsme

  5. #5770G2012-06-08 19:24

    No doubt in my mind

  6. #6Dozerboy2012-06-08 22:14

    Lucky guy sounds like he has a good teacher hard to find those these days. Most guys just want to sit and complain they can't fine any good operators and don't want to be babysitters. Yet when a guy is making mistakes they don't want to point him is the right direction.

  7. #7770G2012-06-09 19:27

    Ya ain't that the truth!!! I was thrown to the wolves so to speak. Put in the grader years ago....sent out to fail. Never liked that boss and I was damned if I was giving him the satisfaction of me failing. Best part was his boss told him that I was doing a great job and to keep me in it.HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! I don't know everything about runnin a motor grader, but I'll be damned if I can't help someone out that wants to learn.

  8. #8HEO Girl2012-06-10 16:45

    This is awesome to hear! He is very lucky!

  9. #9770G2012-06-10 21:43

    Thx

  10. #10Dualie2012-06-13 02:39

    Some times being cut out on your own is the best teacher. especially after you been taught by a good teacher. You gotta get out there screw things up and fix em on your own to realize why you screwed them up in the first place.