Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Transfer Tank & Toolbox Setups

9420pullpan · 2014-01-27 19:05

I figured that i would share a few of the combinations that i have had, was hoping some others would post theirs My 2005 Duramax, Weatherquard 88 gal tank with a wide and deep toolbox This is my current truck 2007.5 Duramax, Weatherguard Low Profile toolbox, hammerhead tank with spray bedliner. I ran the power wire from engine compartment to the stake pocket came through stake pocket into toolbox, i put a switch inside toolbox and ran the power wire accros the inside of toolbox by the hinge and out the other side to the pump. The switch inside the box ensures that no one can just pull up and tunr the pump on and suck out my fuel. In the last pic Backrack with originally (4) now just (2) Cat light really bright, i also put a pair of recon SMOKE 15" Mini LED Tailgate Bar with reverse lights wired them into reverse and a constant with a 3 position switch under dash i bought a really cool Transfer Tank Locking Cap works real well

Replies66
  1. #19420pullpan2014-01-27 19:12

    I also set up my cousins truck as well, he has a 2001 F350 6.7 Stroker, he has a powder coated Pro-Tech rack with (2) Cat lights wired to an upfitter switch. Weatherguard 88 gal tank, Weatherguard standard width and deep toolbox. I wired it up off the battery to a relay, used one of the pass through wires going through firewall to on of the upfitter switch. Ford makes it too easy to wire accessories to the upfitter switches. Ran power wire to the stake pocket to pump.

  2. #2lumberjack2014-01-27 19:23

    Why use a relay? Switch 1 and 2 are rated for 30 amps, 3 and 4 are rated for 10 amps.

  3. #3CM19952014-01-27 19:27

    Nice work. I like the GPI pumps, have been running them for years. The only issues I have had is replacing the toggle switches, which is a PIA due to no space. I want to wire my pump to an up fitter switch for the same reason, although I haven't had anyone steel fuel off the truck yet. I'll get some pics of my rather plain jane setup. I run a Weather Guard 88 gal tank and the WG big tool box and still need more room to carry stuff but that's what the back seat is for. Are you going to Conex?

  4. #4lumberjack2014-01-27 20:17

    My truck is a short bed F250 with a gooseneck hitch, so I have a 100 gallon tank in the back and carry 3 tool boxes and the laser in the back seat. My next personal vehicle will be a long wheel base, the current idea is a crew cab F550, 9'-11' hauler body with a built in 100+ gallon tank.

  5. #5Sawdus222014-01-27 21:34

    I love this thread already. Keep the setup pictures coming.:thumbsup

  6. #69420pullpan2014-01-27 23:25

    the reason i ran with a relay was due to the size of the wire that passes through the firewall and going o up fitter switches. we actually used an old extension cord for the power wire for pump. it wouldnt be good to have a 12 gauge wire from battery to a 16 gauge wire going into the cab. The upfitter switches worked real well already being fused this makes it even easier to hook up to relay.

  7. #79420pullpan2014-01-27 23:27

    Ive been trying to figure out a way that i could have a tank and toolbox and still have enough room for a 5th wheel or gooseneck in a short bed truck. i know that i could get a tank/toolbox combo but i think they might be too long to put a hitch in.

  8. #8nedly052014-01-28 05:28

    I have a uws combo box, 88 gallon. The tool box is huge, really deep. I have a short bed and it allows me to put pipe in along side it which is nice. For my rack I have a westinn hdx, it's a sweet rack, very well built but it makes a really annoying whistle at road speeds that drives me nuts. I've tried everything I can think of aside from modifying it, might have to call the dealer I guess. I'll get some pics today. Pullpan, is your avatar a picture from rt 3 when they brought the iron from plattsburgh for the Olympics? Looks familiar.

  9. #9lumberjack2014-01-28 08:00

    When I was looking, the only option I found to have a ~hundred gallon tank and tool box was to custom build if.

  10. #10pondo2014-01-28 13:07

    Sorry slight twist/hi-jack off thread,does ford upfitter switches have power to the switch...Are they actually smart enough to provide power junction box easily accessible...I am operator because I don't have patients to stand on head and turn wrenches and fish wires.

  11. #119420pullpan2014-01-28 13:40

    There are 4 wires one for each switch, they all have different amp ratings which are all fused. The 4 wires are the hot ones just have to find a ground

  12. #129420pullpan2014-01-28 13:44

    I took a pic from inside my toolbox here is how i ran the wires *nedly05 - Yes the pic is from the 1980 Olympics, i couldnt figure out where it was taken but Rt3 makes sense. Im from LP born&raised

  13. #13pondo2014-01-28 13:48

    Thxs pullpan. Never would have guessed those.

  14. #14nedly052014-01-28 16:36

    Heres mine, its wired to a trailer plug for power. You can see how I put pipe insulation on the louvers of my rack to try and stop the whistling. Pullpan, Ive seen that pic in a JD book that my grandparents had, if I remember right they were being walked from Wilson's heavy equipment in Pburg to LP. I know your cousins and a bunch of guys you grew up with up there!

  15. #15245dlc2014-01-28 19:41

    Excellent thread! I'm hopefully getting a Chevy Duramax myself and want to get a headache rack and slip tank combination fuel tank soon around a 100 gallon capacity. And the setup that pullpan has with the spotlights on the headache rack is similar to what I would like to do except I would like to have a left and right side facing light that I can switch on individually.

  16. #16heymccall2014-01-28 19:50

    Weatherguard 88 gallon L tank with 127 toolbox. What makes this unique is that the driver wanted no vision restriction out the rear window, passenger side, and, I needed a meter and filter assembly that wouldn't stress the pump mounting collar. The pump is a GPI M-180S. The filter head is sandwhich mounted to the lifting lug. The nozzle hanger is nothing more than a section of pipe secured to the inner beside with coated cable clamps, that sits above the factory bed drain hole, albeit, slightly enlarged.

  17. #179420pullpan2014-01-29 00:39

    I think the next truck i get ill put the pump on the drivers side still on the fence about it but it would be nice not having to look at it. I had to put the pump on my cousins truck on the drivers side it wouldnt fit very well on the pass side with the rack. If you keep an eye on craigslist these tanks come up fairly often for a good price. my shortbed tank i paid $200 for and it was already had the spray bedliner on it. I then bought a 50gal tank to get my pump. I sold the tank for what i bought it for minus the pump. I will say this about GPI they are a great company i had a leak on on of their nozels on the swivel called them and expalined the issue expecting them to send an oring for me to replace they sent me a new nozel. I also didnt have the gaskets for the adapter piece that connects pump to tank they send 3 to me for nothing!

  18. #18LT-x72014-01-29 15:37

    This is my old setup in my little Dakota. Pro tech rack, RDS 52 gal tank, UWS box for a CC Tacoma. Worked ok but I'll never go back to a mini pickup work truck..... Haven't got my new pickup setup the way I want yet.

  19. #199420pullpan2014-01-29 19:08

    looks sharp for a mid-sized truck though

  20. #20Winch Cat2014-01-29 19:58

    The location on Route 3 looks like Brandy Brook Hollow, east of Merrillsville. I had forgotten that Gordy had sent so much iron up for the 80 Games. Nedly05, What is the name of the book that the picture is in?

  21. #21Sawdus222014-01-29 21:43

    I always thought about this. If you dont want to use your diesel truck everyday and your not pulling a machine everyday. This seems like a perfect setup in some cases. If your on a site for a couple days and you really dont want to put useless miles on the big trucks.

  22. #22LT-x72014-01-30 02:19

    It seems like a good idea in theory, but really it doesn't work out too well. That truck got 11mpg hauling around me and a box full of tools. With the transfer tank full you could really feel the truck bog on hills, it wasn't happy at all with 1,000 pounds in the back. But on a positive note it was payed for and I wouldn't even attempt the trail in the picture in my dually!

  23. #23nedly052014-01-30 05:30

    Winch Cat!!! I can't remember it has been a long time. I will have to see if my Father has it now, as I recall its fairly thick with a green hardback cover.

  24. #24Winch Cat2014-01-30 05:49

    Thanks buddy! I would appreciate it. I ought to get over to see you sometime. Did you get the hydrant wrench/ hose wrench alright?

  25. #25LT-x72014-02-24 18:40

    So I'm in the process of setting up another truck with a tank and box and I'm trying to figure out a better solution for the hose. In the pictures it looks like most you have just left a gap between the box and tank to stuff the hose into. I wanted to avoid mounting the box like this to maximize bed space and leave room for the GN hitch. So has anyone thought of or tried using a quick connect between the pump and hose? I was thinking about using a quick connect hydo fitting then just stowing the hose hose and nozzle in the tool box. This would also made it just a little harder for someone to rip off fuel. Any recommendations on what type of fitting to use for this? Would a hydraulic fitting even work? I know the transfer pump operates at considerable less pressure than a hydraulic system.

  26. #26still learn'n2014-02-24 20:07

    My bil had a custom tank built to go under his crossover toolbox but it was for extra capacity for his pickup not for equip but he has shortbed and he wanted to be able to still hook up to gooseneck! LT-x7 we have camlock fittings on one of our pickups but wouldn't want it for what you are talking about cuz it makes a mess when unhooked! We use it to hook up a piece of pipe to fuel hose when burning tree piles to get them started.

  27. #27LT-x72014-02-24 20:29

    That's exactly why I was thinking a hydro fitting. Because your right, if I have to deal with a big mess every time its not worth it.

  28. #28Andrew_D2014-02-24 21:15

    I think you'd need a 1" or larger hydraulic-style connector. The 1/2" ag style connectors are at their limit running fans on air seeders with around 15-18gpm. Some of the chemical totes we get have a 1" or 1 1/2" no-drip quick coupler. Plastic, but a stainless one is likely available as well. Andrew

  29. #29heymccall2014-02-24 22:02

    On mine, the gap is required to allow the lid to actually open. It's just coincidence that there is enough gap to lay a hose in there. On a couple here, the hose runs from the pump, under the toolbox, and then connects to a filter head bolted to the bedside. From there, it rests on hooks mounted to the bed side.

  30. #30CM19952014-02-25 06:31

    Same here. A weather guard box needs the space to let the lid rotate back to open. I have 2 swivels on my hose to help prolong the life of the hose and put it between the toolbox and tank. In a LWB there is enough room to have a fuel tank, large coffin lid weather guard box and a gooseneck hitch however with very little room to spare.

  31. #31JNB2014-02-25 10:27

    The lid design on my toolbox allows it to be mounted right against the tank. On my LB SuperDuty, I mounted the tank back a few inches from the front of the bed to leave room for gallon jugs of oil, coolant etc. I also stood up a single jack there for quick access (short handled sledge hammer.) The fuel hose was wrapped around the pump a couple of times and hung in that space too. There was still plenty of room to access the GN hitch. On my present Dodge flatbed, I moved the jugs to an underbed box, but I left even more space in front of the tank to store shovels and a broom. There's still enough clearance for the GN.

  32. #32CM19952014-02-25 18:32

    A couple of pics of my plain jane set up. A swivel on the filter and nozzle end helps prolong the hose life from cracking and eventually leaking. Gooseneck ball in the bed, amongst a lot of other crap disregard that. There is enough room but it's tight. This truck came with a Ford factory gooseneck hitch which I like. If you look closely in the last picture there are the new track hoe batteries I had to buy yesterday because someone stole the other ones over the weekend..

  33. #33Sawdus222014-02-25 20:27

    Nice setup CM! You should post some pictures of the whole truck for us.

  34. #34mitch5042014-02-25 20:35

    Why so many shortbed pickups used for work vehicles?

  35. #35lumberjack2014-02-25 20:39

    Is that a long or short bed? What's your tank capacity?

  36. #36CM19952014-02-25 20:44

    There are few in this thread and some history about how I have a '13 F350. The windows have been tinted and I bought some 18" factory wheels (I already had the BFG's off my old truck) to sharpen it up a bit. That I don't understand why, mine is a LWB. I have had a SWB CC in the past and it was nice getting around but couldn't carry the things I needed to. LWB, the tank is a 90 gal.

  37. #37lumberjack2014-02-25 22:04

    My 250 was bought before I needed a fuel tank. My next truck will be a long wheel base, or a 9 or 11' hauler body on a F550.

  38. #38Scrub Puller2014-02-25 23:57

    Yair . . . you folks in the US don't use the plastic? http://www.polydieseltanks.com.au/ Cheers.

  39. #39BPMfore2014-02-26 06:43

    Do you guys need any placards to carry a certain amount of fuel? I was thinking on putting a tank in my truck but heard the DOT calculates the total on board as the amount in your vehicle tank and what is in the transfer tank.

  40. #40CM19952014-02-26 08:46

    I seriously considered a hauler bed on a dually 350 but went with a SRW. In an ultimate world I would like to have a F350 with a hauler bed like this one with storage space, mount a 110 gal transfer behind the bulkhead and have a 150 or a Toyota with the new Cummins V8 as a run around truck. We can dream can't we? Nope, never seen them. I think the Fed DOT threshold between having to have a HAZMAT license is 118 or so gals. Most transfer tanks are 110 and below. I haven't heard of anyone in my area having an issue with DOT over a standard transfer tank. I need to get some DIESEL stickers and put them on my tank just for classification.

  41. #41CRAFT2014-02-26 13:49

    "CM" …… WTH …… You own the hauler bed company ! …. why do you have to dream ??? ……. your names on every one ! …..LOL We have the same volume threshold as you guys CM ….. only ours are posted as 100 Imp/gal or 454L anything over the rules get Heavy !

  42. #42245dlc2014-02-26 15:18

    What are the rules regarding using a semi-truck fuel tank as a slip tank? My brother in law and I have seen a few guys using these as a slip tank is this illegal in Canada? And if it is, is it just poorly enforced or is it regulated Provincially as opposed to Federally? I'm not thinking of doing it myself I want a proper toolbox combination tank but I imagine it must come down to a regulation regarding double wall versus single wall etc etc.

  43. #43CRAFT2014-02-26 16:43

    We have a lot of guys out here that use those …… But they have to be secured to the frame of vehicle, have Roll over protection (so that the fuel can not drain out when on side or inverted), proper tank venting (x-psi rating, not open air) c/w check valve, a shut off valve between the tank and pump, proper decals (as in 1202, 1203 etc.) including dangerous goods MOT numbering ……… Can't remember if I forgot anything or not ……. I don't know where the cut-off volume is for where the double wall takes into effect, I'm thinking that has to do only with the portable/stationary Enviro-Tanks ……… The tanks I use are 410L (about 108US/Gal), steel, L-shaped c/w dry-box Attached with the pump mounted inside of the locking dry-box (Made in Vancouver area By Tidy Tanks) ….. Ohh I just remembered the Tanks have to have the current Foil metal Tag, DOT/MOT approval fuel transport Numbers (can not be removed or transferred) ….. I had an Aluminum 90US Gal Tank/Drybox combo made by the US company called DeZee …… It "WAS" great until the back bottom welded seam Split (and it was a baffled tank too)

  44. #44245dlc2014-02-26 16:49

    So as long as the tank itself is made safe with those features it is legal to use a semi-truck fuel tank then. We had somebody trying to tell us it's illegal because the tanks are not double wall, but that didn't make a whole lot of sense to us since semi-truck fuel tanks are located in a much more risky place than a slip tank and also we see quite a few tanks mostly farmers though that are setup like that.

  45. #45CRAFT2014-02-26 17:07

    Yup ! …… But National Safety Codes should be the same across the country, and we know that has been proven wrong many times ……. I think it has more to do with the Volume as to where the Hazmat reg's come into Play as well ….. I personally have not seen a double walled tank in the back of a vehicle in the sizes we're talking about

  46. #46245dlc2014-02-26 17:40

    Ok thanks Craft it can be difficult to find a definitive answer to some of these things in this line of work.

  47. #47CM19952014-02-26 18:54

    Here is one from today at the borrow pit.

  48. #48Sawdus222014-02-26 21:15

    Shes a beauty CM! I'm glad you tinted the window and put the 18" rims on there. I dream about having a truck like that. I will one day!

  49. #49CM19952014-02-26 21:42

    Thanks Sawdus22. Dreams, hard work and determination is all we got. On a side note my trusted job site supervisor was in the back seat, watching over the site. She even barked at the owner of the pit when he came by.

  50. #50CRAFT2014-02-27 02:22

    CM ! …… is that the truck you bought to replace the one the Beetle Ate ??? ……. if it is that is a sweet ride !!!

  51. #51CRAFT2014-02-27 02:27

    The answers are ALWAYS Loud and Clear After you've gotten pulled over by the DOT !!! …. and they give that really nice piece of paper with all the descriptions of *** you didn't do right !!! …… $$$$$$$$$ ….ooops to late …now we know the rest of the story !!! ……. then they turn around and invent some more DA rules to invent another "Cash Cow" ………. Grrrrrrr !!! ….. LOL …. here we go again

  52. #52CM19952014-02-27 06:07

    Yep, same one. BTW - I didn't even think about the bed thing, ha I wish that was my company.

  53. #53CRAFT2014-02-27 12:26

    That's OK CM …… It's not True what others say about You ! ………… LOL …… I knew sooner or later you'd get it !!! …… Cheers !

  54. #54245dlc2014-02-27 12:53

    Lol! yeah it's just a matter of getting those answers before getting pulled over. But I know what you mean.

  55. #55ddigger2014-03-16 11:35

    Its not as fancy as most, but it works for me. Oh and I haven't traded down, I just use the little hoe around the ranch.

  56. #56CM19952014-03-16 17:32

    I like your setup ddigger, been thinking about setting my F250 up like that. Right now it has an L tank, side to side toolbox and the lube skid in the back - air comp., grease keg, small tool box and hose reels. Problem is this takes up all the bed space. I have some WG side boxes in the shop..:idea How did you mount your air comp. to the L-tank?

  57. #57ddigger2014-03-17 08:57

    Simple, all I did was lay some 2x6s on the tank which also support the side boxes, and on the outside board I just screwed on another 2x6 to act as a lip, some wood screws thru the bottem of the boxes to keep things from moving around. The compressor is heavy enough that it doesn't move around. Plus it makes a nice space for extra hitches shackles and hammers and those on gallon oil jugs you see. The best part of the whole set up is having the drawers at the back like that for all my hand tools one side is standard the other is metric.

  58. #58Sawdus222014-06-01 15:39

    Anbody else have some sweet setups to show off? I would if I had one!

  59. #59Mark132014-06-05 22:50

    Since this got bumped up here's a few pics of my work truck. L tank with a 15gal per minute FillRite pump. Swivel on the end of the hose by the nozzle. Standard size weatherguard. I used to have an extra width weatherguard but it made for very little clearance pulling my gooseneck flatbed. BackRack has a 22" Federal Signal Mini Legend in all amber. 2 white light heads point out the rear under the bar and 1 point out each side. There is also amber led hide-a-ways in the turn signals and back up lights. Edit. I'm not sure why they don't show up like normal. They're linked as img tags. Edit2. I don't know what I'm doing.

  60. #60CM19952014-06-06 07:13

    I have one at the filter and one at the nozzle. Got tired of replacing hoses. Tractor Supply has them for around $30 for 3/4" and 1". Good investment considering what a new hose costs.

  61. #61Mark132014-06-06 09:33

    I carry 20' of hose so 99% of the time I don't use all of it and leave some tucked between the tank and toolbox. I thought about a swivel right off the pump as well but it wouldn't do me any good most of the time.

  62. #62Aliate2014-06-07 11:24

    I know this thread is old but to clear up the hazmat rules, it is calculated based on weight. Over 1,001lbs of a flammable liquid requires placards and at least a class c license with a hazmat endorsement. The fuel tank used to power the vehicle is not included in this calculation.

  63. #639420pullpan2014-06-08 14:52

    Nice Setup!

  64. #64Mark132014-06-09 01:24

    Thanks! It's nothing special, it's far from new but it does the job for now. I think it's replacement will be a 6.7 F450 or F550 hopefully within a year or so.

  65. #65Gooseidi2014-06-18 21:15

    I will get some better pictures tomorrow. I have a Protech cab shield and toolbox (very well built), 104 gallon tank with a 20gpm pump and spin on filter. I have a #10 wire going to the reverse lights and use the factory reverse circuit to control a relay that's behind the driver side taillights housing. Reverse lights are twice as bright and have LED's also under the bumper. I also ran an override switch into the cab for hooking up trailers at night. The box, tank and rack have been in the truck since it was new. Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

  66. #66Gooseidi2014-06-24 23:32

    Here are a few closeups Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk