The main transformer on my 111a is putting over 30 amps to the batteries at high idle no load. On the flux bridge, i have tried taking shims out and currently have all I can get in between the coils. I'm not sure why this is happening. Can anybody explain how current is getting around this bridge or what I can do to reduce the current or fix this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like a rectifier issue to me. Shimming out raises voltage, removing shims lowers the voltage. Personally I would add an alternator and do away with the charging circuit. Done that on a few older electric steer machines. Of course you have to find a positive ground alternator.
Both of our 111a's have new rectifiers and both are charging 30 volts to the batteries. We pulled all the shims out of the flux bridge and couldn't get it to drop in volts. We did however bring them down from 31 or 32 volts. I probably should add the new rectifier is an air cooled type and no longer use the old selenium type, and also running two 12 volts in stead of 4 * 6 volts. We did all the checks as stated in the manuals and everything else is fine just charging high. They've been running like this for over two years now and haven't given to many head aches.
Preciate the response guys. Yea I replaced the selenium rectifier with a air cooled diode rectifier on the battery charging circuit a good while back and that could very well be the problem. It wouldnt be a issue except its boiling the acid out of the batteries and they end up shorting out. Thanks again.
Boiling the batteries may be due to a bad diode allowing some AC to get through. You might want to disconnect them and check each one. It's been a few years since I have dealt with that system, I need to dig out one of my old manuals and refresh.