I've worked in logging and construction for 25 years. Ran everything from skidsteers to 400 size excavators. Now it looks like I might have a job in an open pit copper mine. I understand that I'll start on an ore truck. Should be an interesting change of pace from the 2850 Madill I'm running now. Any advice for an up and coming miner?
I'm in no way qualified to share any advice on what to do, but if you watch a few episodes of Gold Rush Alaska, I have a feeling you'll get an idea of what NOT to do!
You mean, don't act like a complete idiot? Yeah, I pretty much got that.
The biggest thing these days is pretty much to follow the company's safety rules. It will surely be ointheaddifferent at other mines, but here, they will happily turf somebody who is taking shortcuts, and not following the rules. Remember, it's their sandbox, so their rules apply. Other than that, I think you'll find mining can be........well, a "bit" boring. Mind numbing in fact, but it pays well.
Don't know about Canada but in the states they make the ore trucks run on the wrong side of the road. Wasn't a problem for me until I noticed the truck drivers were spitting their chew into the passenger seat instead of out the driver's side window.
BDFT, Mt Milligan by chance?
The best part of Mt Milligan is the "freedom this way ----->" sign on the road out.
Not Mt Milligan, Huckleberry out of Houston.
Good for you! I have a friend who used to work for Imperial at Mt. Polley, and she has nothing but good to say about them. Another perk of working in a smaller operation, is you'll get a bit more variety thrown your way. Are they running as a union operation? Just curious.