Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Transm. Clutch pres. low warning on Cat M316C

Throttle74 · 2021-10-22 15:08

Hi We have a Cat M316C with a warning on the dash saying Transm. Clutch pres. low The machine only has 5.5k hours so there’s no big usage on it. I’ve changed the fluid thinking it might be the problem but it’s still there the warning I’ve put a gauge on the pilot and steering and got low revs 38.9 bar and high revs 63.7 Anyone had this fault with possible fix to it ?

Replies19
  1. #1Nige2021-10-22 17:52

    There was something about one of these a few years ago IIRC. Not a lot of knowledge around TBH. Post a Serial Number as a start.

  2. #2Throttle742021-10-24 12:40

    Thanks for the reply back my notifications email had gone to junk email hence my late response back. I’ll get the serial and post it.

  3. #3Throttle742021-10-24 20:01

    Serial number is M316CPBDX00322

  4. #4Nige2021-10-25 04:39

    First you need to check Pilot Pressure. See attached. Don't go adjusting anything yet, just check it and report back the result in psi please. There are two possible methods for checking transmission pressures but I don't know which one applies to your machine. Attached are both of them. Use whichever one suits your particular transmission arrangement. Post back the results. All the specifications are attached,

  5. #5Throttle742021-10-25 05:43

    Thanks for them I’ll check them out and come back too you we did stick a pressure test on yet just on idle 38.9 bar and on revs 63.7 but I’m not sure what travel mode it was on and wasn’t pressing anything such as travel pedal etc when we got them pressures. It stops if we press the parking brake button yet still can’t travel then obviously, pedal has no effect on the warning going off though.

  6. #6Nige2021-10-25 06:15

    To avoid any conversion errors can you take pressure readings in either kPa or psi please. That's all the specs indicate.

  7. #7Throttle742021-10-25 06:22

    Will do in future I’ll try to get it checked it out tomorrow…

  8. #8Nige2021-10-25 06:44

    Do you know how to use the Monitor to bring up Diagnostic Codes.? Has that been done and if so what was the result.?

  9. #9Nige2021-10-25 06:56

    I'm going to suggest something else having thought a bit about this. There is an accumulator in the brake system that could cause all sorts of shenanigins if it is not fully charged. Try this........... Turn the engine start switch key to the ON position. If the accumulator is not at normal operating pressure, the monitor will display a "BRAKE PRESSURE LOW" warning. Start the engine. Run the engine for two minutes in order to fully charge the accumulator. At this point the warning message on the monitor should have turned off. Stop the engine. Turn the engine start switch back to the ON position. Apply the service brakes by pressing the pedal fully down and then release. Continue to do this until the "BRAKE PRESSURE LOW" warning comes on again. Count how many cycles of the brake pedal it takes to generate the low pressure warning.

  10. #10Nige2021-10-25 07:06

    There are also accumulators in both the transmission system and implement hydraulic pilot systems but there is no quick & dirty test for either of them. I'll have to go digging........

  11. #11Throttle742021-10-25 09:30

    Thanks for your help Nige it’s very much appreciated and no idea on the diagnostics codes i never knew there even was any. I’ve seen it on never generation cat machines yet didn’t know it existed on ours I’ll search the menus if there is any in there.

  12. #12Throttle742021-10-25 09:33

    Also I’ve not seen a “brake pressure low warning” yet i turn the ignition and soon after start the machine to which it says something like “level checking cancelled” i think it’s just the warning about “Transm. Clutch Pres. low” that we get.

  13. #13Nige2021-10-25 12:11

    If the brake accumulator is working as it should then you ought not to get that warning at key on under normal circumstances. However I'd still like yo to do the test and count how many pumps of the brake pedal it takes to activate the warning. Meantime we have to figure out a way of checking the transmission and implement pilot accumulators.

  14. #14Nige2021-10-25 12:22

    The attachments might help you somewhat, especially regarding the "level checking cancelled" message. I need to find out what the password is to get into the "Active Error" menu........... I take it you don't have an Operation & Maintenance Manual for it.? You really need one, It'll probably be the best 35 quid you ever spend. It can be downloaded in pdf form from t'interweb. "How to" instructions are available if you want them.

  15. #15Nige2021-10-25 12:30

    How to get into the part of the Service Options menu that is password-protected. Password is the standard "FFF2".

  16. #16Throttle742021-10-25 14:47

    Thanks i'll try it out tomorrow your suggests tomorrow and yes we have the operation & maintenance manual we have the paper one which cost a fair bit more than £35

  17. #17Nige2021-10-25 16:57

    My bad, these machine the manuals cost a bit more. SEBU7430 costs £59 in paper, £50 on either CD or a pdf download. If you paid Finning more than that you've been had........

  18. #18Throttle742021-10-27 18:20

    I’m just updating my post incase anyone else has the same problem as i had, the fault was the parking brake solenoid coil. This is on the accumulator block which is behind the cab under the steps.

  19. #19Nige2021-10-28 04:48

    Glad you got it sorted.