So I'm scraping some snowy parking lot area, 2nd and 3rd gear on a Deere 644E, easy workload, get to the end of a run and hear a *pop* followed by a hissing sound, shut down and get the smell of hydraulic oil big time. CB'd my partner in crime to come over with some paper towels and started scouting the leak, everything is covered with fluid over a huge area. After some poking and prodding, cranking and watching it turns out the spin on trans filter is spraying oil out of the mount area. It seems the gasket has squirmed out! Pulled the filter and the gasket was loose, cleaned it up and reinstalled it, snugged it down tight and it seems fine now. The book says spin till the gasket hits then 1/2 to 3/4 turn, pretty certain we did that, but its a really high profile gasket. Put it down snug with the wrench and will see. Is there something in the trans that'd cause the pressure to spike and blow the gasket out? shifting from reverse to forward?
Any chance that the old gasket was stuck on and the new one installed over it? Seen that happen. Or did filter come with more than one gasket/seal and the wrong one got put in by mistake?
Yeah, always been good about keeping an eye on that, part of cleaning the seal area thoroughly! On both replacement filters, it really looks like that gasket is too tall to mate up with a flat face boss. No leakage after putting it back on but I'm totally confused.
OEM or aftermarket filter? Have you verified the part number to make sure it's the correct filter number?
The oem ZF filter are made heavier duty than after market ones will bend and leak .But I have seen ZF ones leak or bend when trans passage out of the filter gets blocked .But are a better made filter.Just look at the two side by side and you will see.
I've seen this on Case 721 and 821 loaders in cold weather with aftermarket filters too. I've also seen the outlet passage blocked by a piece of sheetmetal that comes loose inside the filter and covers the center hole internally. Not sure what that piece is, but I've seen it happen twice with oem ZF/Case filters.
This is a wix filter, it had the same look/feel as the john deere filter. I wasn't aware that ZF made filters! The only other change was a new filter, new oil and cleaning the intake screen, completely possible that it could have boosted the pressure.
If you buy the filter from Deere it will be a zf filter
certain brand machinery doesnt like aftermarket filters, whatever the oem has done to the filters are different internals than after market..I tried baldwin( good quality)filters on new holland and went back to new holland filters as there were issues with the baldwin filter not working right, sounds strange but thats reality..
The filters could made by Wix,Baldwin or who ever.But are under contract build and are made with different specs to meet the oem needs like ZF,Cat ,Cummins and so on .I see this every day working on loads rental equipment from every brand under the sun.
I'm going to think I didn't put it on tight enough, it it was an offbrand filter issue there'd be a stack of complaints, I can't rule out user error When you pull the gasket out of the filter its 1/4 inch square o-ring, Wix says the burst pressure is 700 psi, and 16gpm well I know that trans unloaded 2 gallons in about 6 seconds! the other behavioral change is before cleaning the suction strainer and changing the fluid, the 'trans' light would come on between shifts, its now stopped doing that. Maybe there's a flow spike when shifting directions.