I own a Case 580 Super K that i regualrly use around my cattle farm for all kinds of daily projects. I have recently been going through transmission filters like they're going out of style. Everytime the problem has been the O-Ring on the actually filter just spliting and loosing seal. Ill be driving and just hear a pop and the spray of expensive case hy-tran blasting all over the ground. HERE is the kicker, today I put another new filter on (they've been lasting about a month) and THE POST THE FILTER THREADS ON BROKE OFF. Do I have to buy an entire torque conv housing? or can I replace the post? I have the manual and I've searched the web and can't find anythign that leads me to believe I can just fix the "post". Also wondering what I'm looking at price wise for the housing when it just says "quote". ANY IDEAS? Thanks for reading and any and all help on the situation is much appriciated!!! Thank You, your friends at Little Spring Creek Farm.
Welcome LSC Farm! According to CNH, yes, you need to replace the entire housing. I do recall, quite some time ago, repairing such a problem. You need a machine shop to fabricate an adaptor for you - just drill & tap the housing to suit. I can't recall what size or thread it was that we used, but it should not be too hard to work something out. Goes without saying - thoroughly clean the housing after the drilling & tapping process. PS - What brand of filter are you using?
I own a super K, but I haven't had transmission trouble, so I don't know the fluid path in it. I have, however, had this exact problem in hydraulic systems, and it turned out to be a restriction downstream of the filter.
LSC farm.... do you have hydraulic lines going to the back of this tractor? On one occasion I found a line that had quick coupler's in the back that were hooked together to complete the circuit. (dunno why it was plumbed this way but it was). The couplers had come unhooked but still appeared mated. Symtoms of this was it keep blowing the filter up. Fluid for this loader was stored in one of the support frame's of the loader. Plugged the connectors back together. End of problem.
I am using CNH filters straight from the dealer.