Just curious about what trans are preferable in what applications and why. Most truckers around here are running 13 speeds, or other Roadrangers, like 10speeds. I think the Mack 12 speed is popular now, too. Just a hypothetical question, if you were spec'ing out a truck (that you had to drive yourself) which transmission would you prefer in, say a triaxle dump? (80000 gross weight). Or a tractor to pull a lowboy? Or pulling a dumptrailer?
I prefer the 8LL. In excavation I love the lo lo reduction for walking through a lot of sand, it doesn't seem to wheel hop like the other trannies.
Thanks. I was going to put 8LL in the poll, but I didn't want too many choices, I figured 2 varieties of RoadRanger were enough, lol.
In a dump truck I feel it's the only way to go because of the Lo Lo or what I like to call my Go Go through the sand lever.... lol corny I know but it works
Would like to try a 9LL in the dirt 8LL will do.The 4axle dump I'm driving now has the super 13 (hate it on road & off)
Thanks for your reply. What do you hate about the 13 speed?
^button on the high side,I like to feel it drop in to the hole. Grinding or offroad needs a lower range forward & reverse. Perfer the old Eaton 13spd .
Thanks, Deere500. I didn't know they changed the 13 speed.
Super 13 lo,1,2,3,4 flip into hi 4 lever + 4button shifts like the super 10 .Buddy has a 10wheeler with the super 13 a relay is out in the trans so the button shift does not sync & grinds pull out put it in neutral flip back,fight it trying to get in gear with out stopping. Fun times using that truck one day
My favorite is what I have in the lowbed truck, a 2000 KW wide nose T-800. It has an 18 sp RoadRanger, and 2 speed rears as well. You can split every gear high side and low, if needed, it has a low-low, that is rarely used except in extreme uses, and when in the hills, drop the rears into low, and mainly just work the high side of the gearbox. It keeps you from needing to continualy split high side to low side. With the rears in low, it tops out at about 55 in high gear wound out, so it is not road gear. Pop the rears back to high, and it is still an 80+++ truck, best of both worlds. The only thing better I have seen was an 18 speed like mine with a 4 speed aux behind it.
synco all the way
Allison 3000 RDS one of the best ever made.:notworthy
I'll set my fire extinguisher by the laptop and say I would spec/want a Allison 4500 RDS in a tri-axle.
I was just thinking how my baby[8LL] has got some fresh Mobil Delvac juice in her for tomorrow's workout.Love that tranny.
I have a Freightliner tandem dump truck, Cummins L10, Eaton automatic tranny, 130,000 miles Yes this is a Eaton automatic, not ultrashift, no clutch pedal I have owned this truck for about 8 months and it has worked great, until a new driver, forgot to release the parking brake and drugged one set of tires, until it wore them to the rim (about 3 miles) Truck has automatic slack adjusters, so I guess just these two tires were tighter, than the others Tranny worked good until this problem, now it wants to pause before going in gear, after you get it going it shift to high gear, then it will downshift into first gear and the tranny temp will start running hotter, it has gone to 230 degrees. I had the oil and filter changed in tranny, same thing There is no one in my area that knows anything about this tranny, I was told the torque converter was messed up, about $4000 just for the torque converter, then labor to change it out and hope there is nothing else wrong, could be $6-8,000 Humm thats alot to invest in a 97, even though its a good truck No the driver, is not working with me anymore Anyone have any ideas
yank it out yourself and put a manual in it, clutches are a lot cheaper than torque converters.... just my 2 cents
I agree 100%, but this is one of the first business class cabs and Freightliner told me more than likely I would have to replace the clutch frame member in the dash area and then try to find the correct mechanisms. I have tackled many many issues, but to change that frame in the dash, in all that wiring, is tough to tackle. Im thinking about selling it and letting someone else worry with it, but its a great truck and I just put a barn door kit, on it to haul debris Well see
Mack 18 speeds here. Love um
Right now, I have an 18 speed Fuller with 46,000lb rearends and double lockers. Power is a 550 Cat. I would still prefer a 5x4 for a transmission setup since it is what I grew up on and after all these years it still comes more natural for me. On the highway, I tend to use the 18 speed as a 13 speed, splitting only the upper range. However, on an 18% down grade I like to have the choice to split the lower range. The only time I needed help this winter was on a 6% adverse with a full 105,500 lb load and the cat on the side had to drag me about a half mile in two feet of fresh snow. I might have made it, but why tear up the chains and the drive train to just prove a point?
eaton RTLO-205018B
Dualie Can you help me on the code for the trans you posted. If I recall right, the first 2 numbers, 20 in this case, represent the engine torque rating, 2000 lbft, and the last 2 represent how many speeds, 18, but what are the middle 2 numbers for?
I think i screwed up the numbers im pretty sure now that the trans in my T-800 was RTLO-20918B the first two numbers being the torque rating. I have NO idea what the heck the 9 is but im 90% sure all the 18spds were the tq rating then 918 then the ratio either A or B
Made me curious, and I found this: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...nG9zUtJTG8Od6lnQA&sig2=TaUOhJh9W_Y_GrjqdtuChg I tried to post it, but its too big.
Thats a pretty slick ID poster! Thanks for that!
Man, That was the fastest reply ever, and you had to open the file first, then answer! I am impressed.
Well I love 18 speeds we have Allisons and fuller 18s one 15 speed> i like the maunal transmissions because well I like to shift. The automatics are ok if i was buying trucks it would be the Full18's. The new trucks we Ordered have automatics because we casnt get a motor that meets tier with a jake and a retarder combo. We are hauling 47 ton and need the braking.
So how does the automatic help whith the lack of the Jake/retarder combo? I can relate, as that is what I have, and it gives real peace of mind on downhill runs. I have better control on downgreades at 63 ton than the ordinary trucks at 40 ton.
Just finished my HEF browsing for the night and opened my E-mail client and there was your reply waiting for me. Otherwise im usually slow on the reply here
We run Cats with jakes and retarders with the 18 speed We also have Detroits with Alisons with the jake retarder combo,now we are getting Cummins and they have to run a automatic to get the jake retarder combo. If we went to the 18 speed we could on have Jakes. and the 47 ton load and the gross weight of 200k we need the breaking power.
18spd on a lowboy and a 8LL for the dumps. Our 13spd we have now works well starting out on a long steep grade being able to split the lowers would be nice. We also have a 87 ford with a 10spd with deep reduction and it dosen't seem to bad. Let ya know once we get some more time on it.
Quoted for true wisdom. :exactly
Love my Mack 18 speeds and my Fuller 10 speed with deep reduction. They both have something to offer for everything I do.
I used to think that Volvo's 16-speeder was the dogs' danglies, that was until I drove a Scania 12 + 2 range-splitter equipped with Opticruise & Scania's 300HP hydraulic retarder ......... :thumbsup
5 spd main 4 spd aux would be my favorites. I grew up driving those things on really bad logging roads.:bouncegri 18 spd 2 spd rear axles nowadays Gary
How do you shift the 2 speed rears?
VERY CAREFULLY ! ........ It can be done ..... but not by a novice unless you are willing to support him with a really fat wallet ! I've got Eaton DT-461's which are 2spd 46,000 lb Diff's ..... they are awesome but very expensive to repair when things go wrong .... ive had to upgrade them from the original DT-460 that was original from '86 My rear-end ratios are 3:90 top end and 5:21 on the bottom end behind a Super 13spd ....... great combo and love it ! .... ton's of lift and good top end To answer your question .... usually when stopped.
I pull a lowboy. RTLO 20918B and a airshift 1241 behind it. I keep a spare 1241 around to go in in a hurry cause mine boils its oil ALOT. I'm getting quick at changing it out now. LOL The middle number ins the 18spd is it's design series number. For example, A 18718 is a roller bearing transmission where a 18918 is a tapered bearing transmission. (I could have that backwards.)
I prefer the 5 speed with a 1241 behind it. All my trucks have a winch or multiple winches, and they make running the winch nice. For a road truck I really like a 13 or 18 speed. I had a 34,000#gvw service truck with a 8LL and it was a sweet combination also.
No such thing as a 10 speed w/deep reduction.That would be a 15 speed.Myself, I'm partial to the little red button.
Your right. The next day I went and looked at the sunvisor and there it was, 15 speed. I've had some time to drive it and It's not bad. Still perfer an 8LL in the dirt.