Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Transport Question

IdleUp ยท 2009-04-24 20:54

Just curious to know if a transport rig can haul to a D5G and a 939C on one trailer. Each machine weighs about 20K each. Thanks

Replies19
  1. #1Kgmz2009-04-24 21:16

    Sure why not. Your only talking about 40,000 lbs, loaded length of about 29' end to end, and a hair over 9' in height. A spread axle step deck can usually haul about 60,000 lbs. and the deck is long enough, and with the lower height of the deck height is not a problem. And with that height someone could even haul them on a normal height flatbed.

  2. #2IdleUp2009-04-24 21:24

    Any leads on who might have the best price and good drivers?

  3. #3willie592009-04-24 21:49

    What the heck are you doing IdleUp...selling your machines and going out of business???

  4. #4IdleUp2009-04-25 07:34

    Nope, I've lined up another job and trying to figure the expense of moving the equipment!

  5. #5Truck 5052009-04-25 08:29

    New to the forums but have been lurking for some time now. Keep seeing people needing info on moving equipment so I figured i would register. Where are You wanting to move these machines to IdleUp.

  6. #6IdleUp2009-04-25 09:03

    I'm in Roanoke Va and we'll be moving the equipment to a job just north of Atlanta- is there a per mile rate?

  7. #7JD450J2009-04-25 11:17

    ...

  8. #8JD450J2009-04-25 11:22

    Sorry to hijack the post but, I need to ask a question and new members are not allowed to start a thread. Im new to the game and just bought very low hour, like new 450J and new 35D to do some local small jobs on the side. I need to know what I will need to buy in order to pull my dozer. I have a basic understanding of GVW & GCW but, not a lot of dump truck listings post that information. I think the dozer is around 18K with the cab. Can you guys point me in the right direction of dump truck and trailer needed to pull this around? THANKS!

  9. #9YoungBuck2009-04-25 17:35

    Well my guess would be any tandem axle truck with the right wheight rating. Ive even seen a single axle I think it was a 650 furd pull a Cat D5 on a goose neck trailer. I would go with a tandem axle dump with 20 or 30 ton tag so you could split the truck and have a driver witha class b haul dirt or rock to feed the dozer and then hook up and haul from job to job. As far as what kinda of truck and trailer thats up to you but with 18k weight your gonna need atleast a 20 ton tag to be legal on the roads as far as your state regulations im not sure of. Good luck with your choice Steve

  10. #10YoungBuck2009-04-25 17:40

    What would the total milage be? if it can be done in a day im sure you could find someone witha daycab lowboy to haul and save a little bit. I know of a couple of people with lowboys just sittin and could probably get you a good price.

  11. #11IdleUp2009-04-25 20:52

    It's a 7-8 hour drive 380 miles. By the way, the guy looking to haul it himself - make sure you have a CDL or you could find yourself on the side of the road!

  12. #12roddyo2009-04-25 21:55

    Trucking I got a Guy that does my hauling over 300 miles or so that I'm very happy with. I would guess a little over $2.00 a mile if you have a loading dock or can push up some dirt to load on a Drop Deck. Send me a PM if you want his number.

  13. #13YoungBuck2009-04-26 20:00

    Well of course I have mine I purty sure someone with a Truck is not gonna stick someone out there with out having a cdl unless your talkin bout your self doing it.:beatsme

  14. #14YoungBuck2009-04-26 20:04

    7-8 if you have someone up there drive it down to GA take bout a day could get flat rate from someone local. If you go witha carrier thell usually charge by mile good luck:usa

  15. #15Kgmz2009-04-26 22:25

    Young Buck: Learn your state truck weight laws, and federal bridge law if it is enforced in your state. Then you will have a idea of what the larger trucks can carry. Around here we are required to go by bridge law, so lots of axles and longer wheelbases are required for the very heavy weights. So if you stay with Class 6 or larger trucks in my area, these are the simple axle weights. Single axle with sufficient tire - 20,000 lbs Tires are allowed 600 lbs per inch of width, so a normal tire duallly and a very large 425 super single can carry this weight if the axle rating is sufficient Example: My first dump truck was a GMC C65 single rear axle with 5 yard box. This truck could carry 20,000 on rear axle and 12,000 front axle. One of my current dump trucks has 425 front tires with a 20,000 lb front axle and can carry 20,000 on front axle. Standard tandem axle - 34,000 lbs. Most standard front axles - 12,000 lbs or more depending on tires and axle rating. Lift axles with single tires - max of 10,000 lbs, or less depending on tires and axle ratings. Trailers are subject to the same rules, but weights may vary depending on axle spread. Standard less than 8 ft axle spread tandem - 34,000 Over 8 ft but less than 9 ft spread - 40,000 And 500 more per ft up to 11 ft. Now how bridge law lengths affects you. My Kenworth T800 has a wheel base of 20 ft from front axle to last axle. Front axle is legal for 20,000 Tandem axle is legal for 34,000 2 lift axles legal for 8,000 each, because of light weight axle and small tires to save weight and more was not needed because of bridge law. Tandem and lift axles have a 12 ft. spread and are allowed 50,000 lbs. So total carrying weight of 70,000, but bridge law only allows 60,500 based on wheelbase. If this truck did not have lift axles then the weight would be limited to 51,000. Same rules apply to the truck and trailer total wheelbase. So check the wheelbase of both, the trailer may be rated for more weight but bridge law will limit that if it is a short trailer or if the truck has a single rear axle and you can't transfer enough weight to the truck.

  16. #16KY Jim2009-04-30 23:54

    Also, double-check the weight, you may require a Permit for Overweight. Yes, get someone Local, that way you can get your hands around his neck if any problems. My drag has a 24-foot well, but I can walk some stuff up on the sponsons behind the front tires when neccessary. KY Jim

  17. #17IdleUp2009-05-01 09:24

    Ok, is this possible on one trailer: 939C Loader / D5G dozer / 323P compactor - 10K lbs

  18. #18cbhfour2009-05-02 15:11

    Do you still need the machine hauled back to Atl? The guy I use is making a delivery to Moorefield, WVA in about 8/9 days and coming back to North Atlanta.

  19. #19IdleUp2009-05-02 17:42

    I'll never finish my current job by then! Thanks