I've written about this somewhere on the forum before but I came across pictures of the incident. Six months to a year earlier, Verizon (or NY Telephone or NYNEX or whatever they were called then) put fiber optics in the ground where the shoulder was. Apparently they didn't do much compaction when they backfilled and the crane pulled to the side to let traffic pass. It immediately sunk to the axles in the soft soil. I thought I remembered two cranes being required to put it back on the pavement but the pictures show a heavier crane and tow truck to do the job. It took the whole day to get the job done. Based on the Sheriff's car I think this was in the early 80s.
t750 p&h being lifted by 80t grove on consolidated dynamics carrier
Yep, looks like a P&H T750 to me as well, I've operated one back in my younger days, roughly 115,000 lb GVW depending on options.
Bet there were dents in the pavement from the outriggers on the rescue crane. They would have larger pads under them or someone would be looking for a new job where I work. Seen a statistic the other day that stated that 30% of crane accidents occur while cleaning up crane accidents. This came from our corporate insurance provider at a crane safety seminar.
Steve , Thanks for posting the pictures . I remember you telling the story but cant recall the thread. Nice looking R model Mack & 750 Holmes . Looks like the early 1980's.
makes me think of a mishap a few years back, it happened to a company I used to do service work for thank god & greyhound I had other thing more pressing jobs to do that day!!! it all started when the "operator" got the boom hoist line mouse nested, couldn't go up or down. The owner got another crane company outa indy to come out & set up hook up cable to the disabled crane boom then they cut the cable!!!! SOMEONE didn't figure the load right & it tipped both cranes over. the guy that was in the house that cut the cable was very lucky cause the other boom fell on the house. no one was hurt or injured everyone was very lucky that day!!! that pic makes me think of the saying " you cant park that there" lol
I'm not remembering whose wrecker that was. The crane that sunk was Fitzgerald Crane Service and the recovery crane was Costanzi out of Kingston. They had a fleet of top shelf cranes that were always in pristine condition. I haven't seen one for several years now, I don't know if they're still in business. The Mack dump in the background is NYS DOT, they've since changed their colors to all yellow. It's pretty neat to see one painted like that again.