Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tree Huggers The Worst

Wolf · 2008-05-07 22:26

What's the worst thing you've ever done to **** off the tree huggers? They can be a royal pain in the A. I know there are some good stories out there . . . do tell.

Replies126
  1. #1humboldt deere2008-05-07 22:55

    I was not involved with this, but in high school some buddies of mine rammed some tree sitters car off the side of the road with a truck. It tumbled down the hill and got pretty messed up. The guy in the tree had a camera and filmed the whole thing.........There was trouble as you could guess.

  2. #2bobcat ron2008-05-07 23:31

    One of our ex-employees came down a mountain from a residential building site with the D6 and flattened the make shift "camp" and covered up the stop work order signs and went back up the hill. He did the same thing again the following morning. And he did not want to do it, but he felt better about doing it the next morning.

  3. #3CatSkinner77V2008-05-08 02:50

    well, I have not done much to p off the tree huggers, but once I was working up in the Rosiele hills, which is hardcore hippy country. I was clearing bush for farming..... well anyways, I got back up there early one monday morning and noticed a beer bottle or 20 laying around my D8. got looking around... all my gauge glass was smashed out. and i notice lots of foot prints around the rear end..... $%&holes put a bunch of sand in my final drives!!!! on another note, i was working for an outfit many years ago in northern alberta building oil leases in the middle of nowhere. we were having coffee one morning with the cats all in a circle. we happened to notice a long bone sticking out of the ground.,..... we started looking around and found alot more bones...... then one of the fellows found something that might resemble the top of someones skull.... seems we stumbled apoun an old indianburial site we all just shrugged it off and vowed not to tell anybody. or our whole sector would have been shut down. not really a tree hugger story but just the same.

  4. #4euclid2008-05-08 08:50

    I'm not real big on the death deal or memories of those who leave this earth. I mean when I die I'll be burnt to a crisp and I won't even have a head stone because it means nothing to me. Did you guys add more dirt to the site to cover up the bones?

  5. #5alan627b2008-05-08 10:15

    You guys will love/hate this....I was searching Google, looking for equipment pics, and came across this tree hugger Nazi site. Page after page of how to destroy heavy equipment. Fiqures, it's from California....what you guys out there have to deal with. It's so well illustrated, it makes a good guide for maintenance too. What a world. alan627b http://www.omnipresence.mahost.org/

  6. #6Wolf2008-05-08 10:25

    Nutty website for treehuggers I looked at that site. It is nuts. I'm surprised that they identify themselves because the cops would love to get their hands on these guys (as would we). This is pretty violent, not to mention illegal. Development is an attack on life. Yours and the ones you love. It pollutes the water you drink, poisons the food you eat and the air you breath ("Every cancer is a homicide" - The Coup). Cancer and many other diseases are a by-product of development/civilization. Therefore the destruction of bulldozers (and other heavy machinery), the burning of track "homes" under construction, smashing windows at a construction companies offices are all acts of self-defense. They are acts to protect the wild and free. Acts that protect an ecologically balanced future, where we can live happy healthy lives. If we fail to act we are surely doomed. So gather your strength and courage, we've got a world at stake and the fate of all.

  7. #7Buckethead2008-05-08 10:27

    I don't know if I would want to disturb graves. Everybody should rest in peace. If they have to move graves that's alright but they should be reburied somewhere else.

  8. #8bobcat ron2008-05-08 10:37

    Idiots, they think they are saving the planet by burning vehicles and equipment, when in reality, those toxic gases and smoke are creating even more harm to mother nature!!!!!! :lmao

  9. #9alan627b2008-05-08 10:38

    I found the main part I was referring to...reading all that other crap will just give you a headache...I sometimes feel bad, trandforming a nice farm into another neighborhood I can't afford to and wouldn't want to live in...but it's what we do. But the kind of BS these people believe in, the sort of the "end working, stop progress, destroy civilization and go back to living in caves" mentality just infuriates me. I don't believe the "Earth First, We'll Stripmine the Other Planets Later" mentality either, but come on... Anyhow, here's the main section I was referring to. Monkeywrenching http://www.omnipresence.mahost.org/ch5txt.htm

  10. #10alan627b2008-05-08 10:49

    Long Winded Diatribe.... :Banghead It's interesting to think these nuts want to destroy the one country you can live in that gives you the freedom to print this sort of xxxxxxxx without unfair prosecution from the law....:usa I'm betting that most of these nuts are offspring of fairly well off upper class priveledged people, who didn't really like working for a living or even knowing the satisfaction of creating or doing anything constuctive. Saving the Earth must be sort of a religion to these people, and anything they do is OK as long as it's for the cause...notice I said religion, not faith! I ponder, the website they have is on a computer (gasp!) that uses electricity (horrors!) that was generated by either coal burning or nuclear energy (for shame)......so that makes them guilty of harming the environment too! Hypocrites. And I'll bet they drive a Chevy Suburban or some SUV that get's 6 mpg, alone, to their club meetings to get exhalted together..... I think I'll stop now. Alan627b

  11. #11Buckethead2008-05-08 11:05

    Probably the best thing to do if you get confronted by environmental protesters is to ignore them and go about your business. Unless they break the law then let the cops handle it. If you go after them you can get in trouble and give them free publicity, which is exactly what they want. Most people I know around here who criticize us for building things also are quick to criticize you if you become unemployed, don't they understand if there is nothing to build that is exactly where we will be?

  12. #12Deere96702008-05-08 11:13

    I bet they ride in a hudge bus that gets 5mpgs as well!! I read the part about the tree sitting on there, and if I was doing a land clearing project, running a D8, well I guess I just might not have seen them up there with the d8 smoking thick black diesel smoke all over!!

  13. #13alan627b2008-05-08 11:29

    Sorry about the BS word, Steve.... ointhead

  14. #14BrianHay2008-05-08 12:08

    A couple months ago I was leaving Victoria on my way to Nanaimo with my fifth wheel in tow behind my diesel. There was group protesting a new development project that was just getting started and they were clearing the trees next to the highway. The traffic was backed up and I ended up stopping right next to the protesters. They had all the usual signs trying to get it shut down. Most were glaring at me, my truck was an obvious construction work truck with the slip tank in the back and all. I was sitting there thinking...where do you guys think YOU live? How was your subdivision built? How many of you will buy a house here when it's finished? Or your kids later? What makes it ok for you to have a home but no one else? Well one sign right next to me read "Honk if you love oxygen!" The temptation was to much...I reved my truck up and gave em a nice big shot of black smoke There was not one person except the protesters of course that didn't bust out laughing

  15. #15Deere96702008-05-08 12:25

    HAHA I love it:lmao:lmao:jerry Lets keep these tree hugger storeys rolling!

  16. #16dirt digger2008-05-08 12:29

    its funny they never once mention how crazy some of the owner/operators are...if we leave equipment in a "shady" area over a weekend or something, i will drive by it whenever i am in the area...we do some jobs in town where the crime is higher, so when i pass through town i go a little out of the way to make sure it is still ok and christ help someone if they are "monkey wrenching" i particularly liked this line "Large machines, in the form of earth moving and logging equipment and haul trucks, are the most pervasive tools of land rape." I almost spit the soup i'm eating all over the keyboard when i read that

  17. #17bobcat ron2008-05-08 14:24

    Most of the protesters around the Lower Mainland are just a bunch of street bums and welfare idiots, they smell and look like hell and obviously are in their dire situation due to the over priced education they paid for.

  18. #18humboldt deere2008-05-08 14:37

    I would like to see a certain amount forests conserved for future mankind just like I'm sure most of you guys do. When I see people standing up for responsible land stewardship I think that is fine because without anybody caring I guarantee some timber companys would cut all their forests and subdivide for development. If you guys are following the pacific lumber bankruptcy deal you will know what I am talking about. With that said when I read literature about how to destroy somebodys machinery or vandalize real estate it makes me furious. When you hear about one of these protesters having a tree fell on them or a log truck run them over I just don't care, because as I see it their the biggest threat to mankind.

  19. #19treeman2008-05-08 15:37

    I agree with you totally humboldt deere. My Dad and I aren't by any means a major tree hugger. We love trees and all of that. (One part is because that's how we make our money, installing and pruning them!!) But we also like to see our trees and other tree live. Often too many times we see toped tree around here, which is illegal to do here on city owned land, so many times we have to report it. And as far as stories go, I don't have anything major. Dad might have seen some crazy stuff, but so far nothing from me.

  20. #20stretch2008-05-08 15:40

    As a home builder, we always save the nicest and the biggest ones. However, I've no good stories to tell here. Just the usual complaints from the neighbors.

  21. #21alan627b2008-05-08 22:52

    An interesting thing came in the mail today, from an individual concerned with responsible forest stewardship, and was sympathetic to both sides of the issue, as he stated he was both a "tree hugger" and a "tree whacker". http://www.forestdan.com http://www.oswa.org/ I haven't checked the site out yet, not sure how I made it on to his list, but the brochure was interesting. Pulling a logging arch....with a Volvo station wagon! alan627b

  22. #22CatYelloBlooded2008-05-09 17:23

    I was in school this last summer and there was some sort of 'go green' protest going on with the usual banners and hippies. They were all over the sidewalks around a jobsite pouring into the street. I laughed when i saw some almost get into the traffic. Anyways, i drive a 97 dodge dually 12v cummins that is, lets say, out of adjustment on the fuel settings. It has twin 7" stacks in the bed. That being said, anyways i was coming past these protesters and i had to actually almost come to a stop due to their blocking traffic entering the jobsite. When i got a clear path finally i took off in third and i could no longer see the protesters in my mirror from all the unburnt fuel they hate so much that i cropdusted them with. Talk about a rewarding feeling--- It's a good thing i was leaving though as they all got quite upset from it. I noticed as i left i had crowd of laborers cheering me on from the jobsite. Most fun i've had in a while. Maybe that was wrong of me? Nawwwwwwww!

  23. #23Wolf2008-05-09 17:31

    dually 12v cummins great story 'bout you and the smokin' dually 12v cummins. that is hilarious. sounds like you fixed 'em good. And I like the part about the laborers cheering you. Why were they protesting that jobsite anyhow?

  24. #24stretch2008-05-09 17:31

    Ummm...Volvo cars are built by Ford now...and don't try Ford backhoes, they're CNH now. We keep getting brochures and calls from RFK Jr. telling us to save Alaska or something like that. Let's keep this one going! :usa

  25. #25CatYelloBlooded2008-05-09 17:38

    Well, Wolf, I only drove by the site twice. It was a hospital expansion that involved demolishing a park. They were building a new larger park a few blocks over to replace it but we all know that's never good enough. I doubt these protesters ever thought about how the new technology brought in with a bigger or newer hospital might benefit them someday. . I wonder what the predicted lifespan is if they start living in caves and destroy all industry like they want to? I'd bet they wouldn't like to hear that number. That was definitely memorable and i'd loved to have someone with me with a camera recording it. They enrage me and i love that stuff.

  26. #26Wolf2008-05-09 18:03

    Yeah, they prolly had to take out a couple of old trees in demo'ing the old park--maybe some buildings the protestors remembered from their childhood. Boo-hoo-hoo. You did the right thing. Any more good stories like that? Love it.

  27. #27OneWelder2008-05-09 18:14

    I must lead a sheltered life , I thought these protests had stopped with the last nuclear power plant built. To my knowledge no protests around here (N.H.) once they stopped the second phase of Seabrook (nuclear power plant)

  28. #28stretch2008-05-09 19:31

    And now even Seabrook's gone! And ConnYankee and Yankee Rowe. But strangely not Millstone, which is right on Long Island Sound! I'm surprised the treehuggers haven't been all over that with all these little mechanical problems they've been having!

  29. #29Temu2008-05-09 20:24

    Tree hugger joke...I couldn't resist While walking through Golden Gate Park in San Francisco , a man came upon another man hugging a tree with his ear firmly against the tree. Seeing this he inquired, "Just out of curiosity, what the heck are you doing?" "I'm listening to the music of the tree," the other man replied. "You've gotta be kiddin' me." "No, would you like to give it a try?" Understandably curious, the man says, "Well, OK..." So he wrapped his arms around the tree & pressed his ear up against it. With this, the other guy slapped a pair of handcuffs on him, took his wallet, jewelry, car keys, then stripped him naked and left. Two hours later another nature lover strolled by, saw this guy handcuffed to the tree stark naked, and asked, "What the heck happened to you?" He told the guy the whole terrible story about how he got there. When he finished telling his story, the other guy shook his head in sympathy, walked around behind him, kissed him gently behind the ear and said, "This just ain't gonna be your day, cupcake

  30. #30humboldt deere2008-05-09 20:32

    I'm gonna stay away from tree huggers and golden gate park.:ban

  31. #31mikef872008-05-09 21:05

    About 10 years ago I did a job in Conn. The contractor I was working far had a laydown yard at the nuclear power plant. Well One day we came in and these morons handcuffed themselves to the gate. The security came and swung the gates open. The side of the road dropped off so the knuckleheads were hanging from the fence by the handcuffs. The stupid things people do to try and stop something that they cant.

  32. #32CM19952008-05-09 21:17

    My biggest chuckle I get with tree huggers and eco-anarchist is their reasoning that humans can and are make a lasting impression on this earth. Let's face it, if all humans were to disappear tomorrow, all of our buildings, roads, equipment, pollution, etc would eventually return back to the basic elements they were made from "ashes to ashes, dust to dust". Granted this could take 1,000's of years, but in a cosmic time frame, this is just a small blip on the timeline. There was actually a show on the History Channel about just such a senario. What happens if you leave a piece of unpainted steel outside - it rusts right? Has anyone seen an abandonded house that has not been cared for in years? The roof falls in, trees start growing through it and it becomes a varmit condo - many years later it is all but erased from the landscape. Ever seen any old roads that have been abandonded for years and have trees growing through the asphalt? Even concrete and asphalt will break down over time due to erosion from water - ever been to the Grand Canyon? We keep nature at bay, we do not have total control over it. We as humans can make the earth uninhabitable for ourselves, not for every living creature. Even a nuclear cotastrophe can't kill all of the roaches. Now I am not one to clear every acre and put in a parking lot. We have to be responsible with our development but being responsible does not mean we do not move forward. The way I see these Enviro-wackos are they are not truly for the environment, it is a "religion" like alan said. They use "saving the environment" as a reason to be criminals and anarchists. If they truly believed in saving the environment then why do they burn heavy equipment and the like, creating air pollution and in time "fuel the fire" of further industrialism by creating a need for replacement parts.:beatsme It seems quite hypocritical to me.:cool2

  33. #33CatYelloBlooded2008-05-10 01:35

    Well put indeed. I second that.

  34. #34bear2008-05-10 02:13

    I had a group chain themselves to the front bucket of a backhoe i was operating down around Cumberland Falls. Went and told the foreman what i was going to do about it, he liked the idea. (talking a foreman into some of my ideas aint the best thing in the world) I went back to the hoe fired her up raised the front loader as high as she would go tilted it forward alittle bit shut her down and walked over to the office. Did i mention they had thrown thier keys away? and they got bounced some on the way up? At fisrt some very P/O'd hippies. later after about 16 hrs of watching us go about our bisiness and 98 degree heat and 100% humidity they were some sad lookin critters. I invited em back the next day but they never showed :beatsme

  35. #35OneWelder2008-05-10 09:29

    Second unfinished Seabrook plant is being or has been torn down. They started refueling first plant in January so should be back on line, or about to come back on line.

  36. #36stretch2008-05-10 15:17

    Ooops...I was thinking of Maine Yankee. The treehuggers (Connecticut) also managed to keep I-291 from coming from its terminus at I-91 in Windsor to the West Hartford/Farmington line where the "Neverpass" crosses I-84 and starts Route 9.

  37. #37[-Agent-]2008-05-10 16:21

    That sounds like they wanted it. :cool2

  38. #38Ray Welsh2008-05-10 18:23

    Some of the worst "damage" to earthmoving gear that I have ever seen was done by professionals in the same industry. Hydraulic rams removed from dozers and scrapers, batteries and radiators etc etc removed for resale. Years back, earthmovers wouldn't steal from each other but times have changed. How about the armoured D11s the jews are using to remove the houses and scatter the occupants in invaded Palestine?? Do any one of you anti tree huggers wish to comment on that?? The watch-word today should be balance between industry and nature. If we concrete everything over, our biodiversity will be stuffed and so will human existance. For believers in gods, My advice is to pray.......Fast!!!..........C ya..........Ray

  39. #39CM19952008-05-10 19:15

    I agree that times have changed but there is a big difference between removing batteries, radiators and hydraulic cylinders and making a manual of how to destroy engines, final drives, hydraulic systems and burn equipment that we (and I am assuming you) make a living with. That is a political issue that should be discussed in another forum other than this one. And no I am not dodging the issue, the Jewish/Palestinian conflict has nothing to do with people who want to destroy our equipment just because it is equipment. This forum is about heavy equipment issues and this thread is about "tree huggers" that want to destroy our lively hood. The only similarity between the two issues is there is heavy equipment involved.

  40. #40Steve Frazier2008-05-10 20:29

    I second CM1995's comment. This issue has been raised here before and resulted in a closed thread.

  41. #41Eric2008-05-11 17:51

    I guess I must be the worst kind of "earth raper", heck I'm a profesional earth raper, a hardrock miner. We don't get many eco terrorists in our neck of the woods, just a bunch of trust fund hippies. They bombard our news paper with anti mining letters and are always trying to stir up trouble with the mining companies. One thing I'll never understand is why people so opposed to mining move to a mining town and complain about it. Our side of the state would be a ghost town without the mines, we have 3 major mines in our county alone. Personally, I just go about my business and keep a low profile in the process. I figure the best thing we can do is out class the filthy varmints, don't stoop to there level. However, I would LOVE to smoke out a few hippies, so I will live vicariously through all you Cummins drivers!

  42. #42Wolf2008-05-11 17:55

    don't take it personally, Eric not an earth raper, just trying to make a living. what kind of trouble are the trust fund hippies stirring up with the mining companies out your way? Do they do any damage to the equipment or hold up operations?

  43. #43Turbo218352008-05-11 19:01

    Seems to me the trust fund hippies just use the paper to incite the rest of the crowd. coming from Michigan, I never really got to see this group of people. At least until a few weeks before I left. It was announced that there were 2 coal plants proposed withing 30 miles of my hometown. Mind you there is already 2 coal plants, and a natural gas plant in the area. The Natural gas plant was originally supposed to be a nuclear plant. During construction there were protests. The project, as many at the time, were mismanaged. It was not uncommon for a carpenter to be given a 2x4 and told to make it last until lunch. This was mainly the result of construction problems. They began to build the plant. Then started constructing the cooling ponds. The cooling ponds brought the water table up, and the plant started to sink. That combined with growing protest, lead to the contractor being paid for change orders. Changes happened daily. When i got out here to Or i was not surprised to run into the tree huggers. I am surprised at the amount of them here. Im also surprised to see how ignorant these people really are. They think all the loggers are out to clear cut the world, and wipe out all of the trees on the planet. These same people live in the forest. They lose their house when the forest burns. The logging that they hate could have probably saved their house. Then they turn around and rebuild. The house they build is the same thing that they say is going to ruin the world. Cant build it out of concrete, the aggregate is mined, as is the limestone used to create the portland cement. Cant use lumber, that comes from a renewable resource, but cutting down trees is a bad thing. Cant build the house from steel, its mined from the ground, yet again, "rapping the planet." Some of these people have no clue. My aunt used to work in the paper industry, always attended trade shows and state fairs. At a fair in Alaska, she had some of the bark humpers confront her. They told her she was going to kill us all. She then proceeded to ask them where they live. What was their house built out of. They then told her all paper was bad, so she asked them what they used to wipe after going to the bathroom. Of course, the answer was toilet paper. She asked them where they thought it came from. Their response, the store. These people just have no clue.

  44. #44bluemeate2008-05-11 20:17

    seems liek that could easily put you at risk for a lawsuit... endangering their lives or something

  45. #45Deere96702008-05-11 21:26

    PSSSSHHHH! The hell with em, they made the choice to mess around with the mans machine, he can do what he wants with it, I woulda lifted that loader as high as it could go!:bash I woulda love to see the looks on there faces when he fired it up and started lifting the bucket, or better yet just hearing what they had to say when they were stuck up there with no place to go!

  46. #46Wolf2008-05-11 21:42

    not to mention false imprisonment . . . but it is funny as heck. What a great story and ballsy move. Got 'em good that time for sure.

  47. #47Dirtman20072008-05-11 21:49

    I watched a rather plus sized lady get stuck and fall flat on her face in 1' of mud out in a pond we were working on. She said we could not hurt the turtles and they needed to be rescued... I said go for it. Funny thing was she moved them all back up stream of the pond where we were going to work that day ointhead Good thing she did not she what happend to them ops

  48. #48Wolf2008-05-11 21:55

    oops. what happened to the turtles, Chris? turtle soup?

  49. #49Dirtman20072008-05-11 22:10

    Hey I tried to throw the bigs ones off to the side using the bucket, Pond had to many of them in it anyways. I've also seen people hug trees, talk to them, kiss ( not joking either) and cry over them. Don't get me wrong I like trees but If I'm told to knock it down... well then timber. I usually don't like to just clear cut things, I like to clear/ thin things out where it does not look like a freaken jungle and all the nice healthy trees are left standing. But the crashing of all big tall tree hitting the ground always sounds good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zADqJUsvv48

  50. #50Wolf2008-05-11 22:18

    and what happened to the little turtles?? another great video Chris, one good push and it's down. now that's a great feeling of power, ain't it?

  51. #51Dirtman20072008-05-11 22:22

    The little one got mixed in with the mud we were taking out, along with all the dead fish. nothing like the smell of rotton fish and turtles to wake you up first thing in the morning

  52. #52Wolf2008-05-11 22:24

    gross. but you do a heck of a job with the trees. you are a tree huggers nightmare. LOL.

  53. #53humboldt deere2008-05-11 23:41

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zADqJUsvv48 [/QUOTE]Oh my god,tree killer, murderer, how dare you.

  54. #54bear2008-05-12 00:19

    Lawsuit? They were trespassing and endangered their own lives by trying to start something in a cordoned and closed jobsite, I don't have time to babysit people like that. This was a small job for the state,by the way. They are lucky i was in a smartalecky mood. Shoulda called the park rangers, but they came out later anyway, saw what was up laughed and left telling us we had things well in hand. after telling the hippies they could stay on the bucket or get in the back of a nice shiny car with bracelets. We don't do lawsuit type things here, just the nature of the territorry.

  55. #55wormkiller2008-05-14 14:14

    Back in March we had a couple hundred feet of collapsed sanitary sewer. Unfortunately for any treehugs, the main ran through heavy forest. Ya know how it goes, not any protesters but some concerned homeowner asked in a high-tone voice if it was really necessary to clear so many trees. I explained in the nicest way that no, we did'nt need to knock down trees if she did'nt mind c#@& coming back outta her toilet. Show me a eco-terrorist and I'll show you a hypocrite.

  56. #56Eric2008-05-14 19:09

    These trustfunder's around here don't have the stones to get physical with us, they do even worse... they get involved with local politics and start little busy body groups always getting in your business. They bombard our Congressmen with complaints and make it seem like nobody wants the mines in our town, which of course is a lie. The mines around here, love them or hate them, employ most of the county, shut them down or make it difficult on them to operate and the whole county will be on welfare. If you value your job and life style get involved and don't let the whiners have the only voice.

  57. #57D5G2008-05-14 23:56

    Like the backhoe scenario, if you can get them to chain themselves to ahh lets say just for the fun of it a 365 sized machine.....now you could really have fun oist em up and let em sit all day and all night long.If they survive you can bet they'll never do it again.I completely agree that the tree huggers have gone and will continue to go too far.

  58. #58Wolf2008-05-15 15:16

    I know, but if you touch them with the equipment, they will sue your a** how ridiculous

  59. #59d4c24a2008-05-15 15:47

    nutters here is a clip of some protesters on a pipe line in wales ,one of who decided to climb a working crane and then tie himself off by his neck :beatsme CAUTION SOME BAD LANGUAGE http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mps6TdQzmgg

  60. #60D5G2008-05-15 16:13

    theres got to be a way if its a big enough site and you know theres gonna be trouble an electric fence or barbed wire covered fence...just dirves the cost of everything up. crazy people.

  61. #61Deere96702008-05-15 16:24

    Shoulda gave him a wild ride! WOW that guy is real smart. Shoulda swung that crane around a couple of times then stopped it real fast! Why do people do such a stupid act? I think he should get arrested for jumping up on that crane! But then he would get three hots and a cott, so whats the since? -sigh-

  62. #62bear2008-05-15 19:24

    I wouldn't have been that polite. That's all I'm gonna say bout that. :naughty

  63. #63biggerdigger2008-05-15 20:55

    What really frustrates me are the "professional protestors". You see them out protesting to save the snails at a mine site, then the following week you see them protesting about something completely different and unrelated - like some new policy the government proposing to do with electoral financing. We're a small country here and it becomes obvious when the same dreadlocked and unshaven face shows up time and time again. And all the while they're collecting an unemployment cheque, courtesy of us hard working taxpayers.

  64. #64bear2008-05-16 14:31

    Let's let 'em live in caves and wipe with nettles. I doubt they'd really want to do that kind of crap then. I used to wonder why there weren't any anti-hippie types then one day it occored to me they're all at working for a living and don't have the time.

  65. #65Deas Plant2008-05-16 17:50

    Profound conclusion. Hi, Bear. Congratulations on your profound conclusion.

  66. #66bear2008-05-16 19:30

    The sad part Deas is it took me a couple of years to make that conclusion. I'm not the sharpest toll in the shed but i am the most stubborn.

  67. #67Deas Plant2008-05-16 19:42

    It's all right, Mate. Hi, Bear. That's all right, Mate. It sometimes takes me a couple of seconds or more to catch on to some of the more complicated issues in life too - - - like how to decide if I want roast beef and salad or a steak for dinner. LOL.

  68. #68Cat287B2008-05-16 20:17

    The Thunder from Down Under LOL

  69. #69digger242j2008-05-16 20:30

    Bear, you're probably not old enough to remember the late 60's and early 70's, which were the heyday of the actual "hippie" movement. ("Take drugs! Stop the War!") If there was an "anti-hippie" sterotype, it was the guys that you describe, out working for a living, in the mines, and mills, and construction sites. They were known appropriately, as "hard hats".

  70. #70stretch2008-05-16 21:52

    Very well put digger...but I can't remember that because I sure wasn't around then...

  71. #71Dirtman20072008-05-16 22:44

    Tree Hugger A lady from New York State, who was a tree hugger and a vociferous anti-hunter, purchased a piece of timberland. There was a large tree on one of the highest points in the tract. She wanted to get a good view of the natural splendor of her purchase so she started to climb the big tree. As she neared the top, she encountered a Bald Eagle that attacked her. In her haste to escape, the lady slid down the tree to the ground and got many splinters in her crotch. In considerable pain, she hurried to the nearest country doctor. She told him what an environmentalist and anti-hunter she was and how she came to get all the splinters. The doctor listened to her story with great patience and then told her to go into the examining room and he would see if he could help her. She sat and waited for three hours before the doctor reappeared. The angry lady demanded, What took you so long? He smiled and then told her, Well, I had to get permits from the Environmental Protection Agency, the U.S. Forest Service, the Bureau of Land Management, NYS Department of Environmental Conservation, and the Adirondack Park Agency before I could remove old-growth timber from a recreational area. Im sorry, but they all turned me down.

  72. #72bear2008-05-16 23:39

    I just about broke a rib laughing at that. The sad part is it's too true.

  73. #73humboldt deere2008-05-17 00:26

    "Recreational area", that's hilarious

  74. #74CAT D9H2008-05-17 01:10

    Well I have plenty stories about tree huggers , how much I hate them and all especially being in the mountains , but my favorite one is the time we were contracted to level a lot for a new police dept. so we come out with the dozers and excavators with thumbs , and proceeded to knock down trees well the tree huggers got wind of that and came to attempt to protest , so the site is totally roped off with all the danger signs , do not enter caution tape and what not , well I was in the trusty D9H when out of nowhere I was told came a protesters little hybrid car and pulls up right behind my 9H gets out and starts yellin I was sitting idle about to back up , so I quickly glanced behind me to see if I could see a orange safty vest , nope no one was around so you guys can all back me up , you cant/dont wanna hear anything over a D353, so into reverse she goes , apparently this lady was screaming at the top of her lungs for me to stop but I couldnt hear her, so I let off the decel and start movin well I felt the ripper hit something but we were around alot of down trees and thats all I saw behind me so I never gave it another thought ,well about that time fiberglass was shattering and 3" grousers started digging in and over this tiny honda I go then I knew something was wrong so I stopped , I step out of the cab and onto the tracks only to see a flattened grey car under the tracks , and boy was it flattened so I pull off it and shut er down lady starts saying she was gonna sue , so I look around and see the owner of the company laughing like crazy he comes over and makes sure the lady understands we are not liable for that , any how the cops come and all , all and all it was a great day , for me ,

  75. #75digger242j2008-05-17 01:41

    As far as tree huggers go, I think history makes it clear that industry, left to its own devices, will trash anything and everything in pursuit of a buck. The tree huggers have their place in that they've made industry become more responsible for cleaning up after itself. And unless you're the owner of the project, any part of your paycheck that derives from addressing environmental concerns comes to you as a result of the tree huggers' whining. On the other hand, all the comments about the tree huggers living in houses made from wood, and wiping their butts with toilet paper , etc., are spot on. They don't seem to remember that all the material goods they enjoy came from some industrial activity, somewhere. Industry, whether it's mining, forestry, or construction, is only doing what the marketplace (read: consumers), provides a demand for. If we still lived naked in caves, we'd never have the need to cut down a single tree, would we? There has to be a balance, and just like all the other costs of doing business, the consumer ultimately foots the bill for the expense of keeping the environment as unblemished as possible. I think the environmentalists lose sight of that, and as long as the profit margin remains, industry goes on about its business...

  76. #76Deas Plant2008-05-17 02:17

    Well put, Digger242j. Hi, Digger242j. That was surprisingly well thought out and expressed for a skeleton, even for the skeleton of the Grim Reaper. LOL.

  77. #77bear2008-05-17 02:22

    Digger you said it in so many ways I won't or can't (take yer pick) You are right there does need to be a balance. but when they start wrecking my machine or jobsite... I get mad. not easy to do, Im pretty laid back and relaxed but when mad... I get creative not violent. they do need to understand if it's ok for them to wreck my equipment and stuff I buy and use well payback is tenthousandfold upon them. And usually in a way to make them look stupid and feel miserable. I know too many dirty filthy tricks to bother with violence and it pays to use yer head when payback occors. A skunk in the house or car is fun. just as good is a non venemous snake or 12 in the bed. (DON'T ask, can't incriminate anyone :cool2) Anger management does work, the trick is to be more creative.

  78. #78Deas Plant2008-05-17 04:17

    Anger management Hi, Bear. Maybe you need to read this one: Anger Management. When you occasionally have a really bad day, and you just need to take it out on someone, don't take it out on someone you know, take it out on someone you don't know. I was sitting at my desk when I remembered a phone call I'd forgotten to make. I found the number and dialled it. A man answered, saying "Hello." I politely said, "This is Chris. Could I please speak with Robyn Carter?" Suddenly a manic voice yelled out in my ear "Get the right XXXXXXX number!" and the phone was slammed down on me. I couldn't believe that anyone could be so rude. When I tracked down Robyn's correct number to call her, I found that I had accidentally transposed the last two digits. After hanging up with her, I decided to call the 'wrong' number again. When the same guy answered the phone, I yelled " You're an XXXXXXX!" and hung up. I wrote his number down with the word 'XXXXXXX' next to it, and put it in my desk drawer. Every couple of weeks, when I was paying bills or had a really bad day, I'd call him up and yell, " You're an XXXXXXX!" It always cheered me up. When Caller ID was introduced, I thought my therapeutic XXXXXXX calling would have to stop. So, I called his number and said, "Hi, this is John Smith from Telstra. I'm calling to see if you're familiar with our Caller ID Program?" He yelled "NO!" and slammed down the phone. I quickly called him back and said, "That's because you're an XXXXXXX!" One day I was at the store, getting ready to pull into a parking spot. Some guy in a black BMW cut me off and pulled into the spot I had patiently waited for. I hit the horn and yelled that I'd been waiting for that spot, but the idiot ignored me. I noticed a "For Sale" sign in his back window, so I wrote down his number. A couple of days later, right after calling the first XXXXXXX (I had his number on speed dial,) I thought that I'd better call the BMW XXXXXXX, too. I said, "Is this the man with the black BMW for sale?" "Yes, it is", he said. "Can you tell me where I can see it?" I asked. "Yes, I live at 34 Mowbray Blvd , in Vaucluse. It's a yellow house, and the car's parked right out in front." "What's your name?" I asked. "My name is Don Hansen," he said. "When's a good time to catch you, Don?" "I'm home every evening after five." "Listen, Don, can I tell you something?" "Yes?" "Don, you're an XXXXXXX!" Then I hung up, and added his number to my speed dial, too. Now, when I had a problem, I had two XXXXXXX to call. Then I came up with an idea. I called XXXXXXX #1. "Hello." "You're an XXXXXXX!" (But I didn't hang up.) "Are you still there?" he asked. "Yeah," I said. "Stop calling me," he screamed. "Make me," I said. "Who are you?" he asked. "My name is Don Hansen." "Yeah? Where do you live?" "XXXXXXX, I live at 34 Mowbray Blvd , Vaucluse, a yellow house, with my black Beamer parked in front." He said, "I'm coming over right now, Don. And you had better start saying your prayers." I said, "Yeah, like I'm really scared, XXXXXXX," and hung up. Then I called XXXXXXX #2. "Hello?" he said. "Hello, XXXXXXX," I said. He yelled, "If I ever find out who you are..." "You'll what?" I said. "I'll kick your a**," he exclaimed. I answered, "Well, XXXXXXX, here's your chance. I'm coming over right now." Then I hung up and immediately called the police, saying that I lived at 34 Mowbray Blvd , Vaucluse, and that I was on my way over there to kill my gay lover. Then I called Channel 9 News about the gang war going down in Mowbray Blvd , Vaucluse. I quickly got into my car and headed over to Mowbray. I got there just in time to watch two XXXXXXXs beating the crap out of each other in front of six cop cars, an overhead police helicopter and a news crew. NOW I feel much better. Anger management really works... Administrator's edit note: Reason for Editing--Repeated disguise of forbidden word in an effort to beat the auto-censor function. If a word comes out in all asterisks when you try to post it, please don't go to the trouble of trying to defeat that function. Just leave the damn asterisks. Everbody has enough imagination to know what the word was anyway. It just makes our job of consistent moderating of the rules more difficult. :Banghead The only reason I left the post and went to the trouble of editing it is that it is entertaining. Thanks.

  79. #79Eric2008-05-17 13:39

    That is absolutley brilliant!

  80. #80Ray Welsh2008-05-17 18:25

    This subject is dodging all over the place, from hatred to payback to vindictive statements. As said above, a balance of trees and paved concrete is necessary for continuation of biodiversity on this small planet earth. How many of you operators, contractors, developers etc etc., choose to live in areas with zero trees or plants? How many of you hate songbirds?? How many of you hate natures wild animals and all insects??? Trees and scrub are necessary for these things.........C ya........Ray

  81. #81digger242j2008-05-17 18:51

    I'm not very fond of mosquitos... :cool2

  82. #82Dirtman20072008-05-17 18:56

    or ticks

  83. #83Ray Welsh2008-05-17 19:12

    What are you? Men or mice??.....C ya......Ray

  84. #84Dirtman20072008-05-17 19:22

    Sensitive

  85. #85stretch2008-05-17 21:24

    Deas, like Eric said, that is frickin' brilliant. Gotta say though that you're one of the last people here that I would expect getting in trouble from the administrators. :lmao Well Ray, in my experience, land has more value and looks better when the home lot has more big trees on it. But remember that means more ANTS in the house.

  86. #86digger242j2008-05-17 21:57

    Deas isn't in trouble. But, if somebody posts something less than brilliant, and it contains similar attempts to defeat the auto censor function, I don't want to be accused of us maintaining a double standard. That's why, if those things are noticed, they are edited. And I do have better things to do with my time. Now, back to tree hugging...

  87. #87CM19952008-05-17 22:39

    Or spiders. Deas - that was hilarious.:cool2 And that reminds me that I have to call that ******* that owes me money.

  88. #88will_gurt2008-05-18 00:34

    Would that be with Gypsy Moth or Lightening?

  89. #89bear2008-05-18 01:20

    Deas you made my day with that. Don't know if it's true but it is funny. In my previous post I was just bein a smart aleck and don't want any feathers ruffled. I have been to anger management classes in the past and it helped get me back on an even keel almost. I'd had some trouble in my teens and some family deaths and was not a very good person. I met the girl I would marry at the prom and as I got to know her I found some balance in my life again. She saved my life. I've been told I have big hands and they used to be dangerous quite a bit of the time picking fights and stuff. now the only thing i use them for is providing for my wife and myself and protecting her. In many ways she doen't know how rough the world can be and I try to keep the worst from her. Protecting her and my remaining family is why I joined the Marines, why I am the cuss I am. My only real beef with tree huggers is if they do damage anything related to my livelyhood and income they are attacking my wife. I've been shot several times, stabbed twice, broke both legs twice in different parachute drops gone wrong, and looked hell and the devil in the eye. All I want is people to use some intelligence in the causes they argue for. want to save some trees? fine I'll knock out the diseased and old ones, want to save an animal, fine I'll do my job and try not to hurt anything. Personally I feel we should be stewards of the land use it without abuse and everyone can prosper. I started as a farmhand, I understand the balance of nature, and the ways to keep a balance. I grew up roaming the hills here and they are for me the most beautifull place on this earth, and i want to keep them this way. I don't need some bearded dreadlocked nut telling me I'm killing something they know nothing about. We can reach an agreement or they can leave my jobsite either in cuffs, on their own power or on crutches if they refuse any other means. if They are interfering in my duty and obligation to my family that is the same as attempted murder, starvation is not in my plans and i dare a tree hugger try to make it happen. Intelligent action is always better than violent and it's much more fun. for me this is as serious as a topic can be. I've been through some hard times. I've watched family die from the choice of medical care or food for us kids long before this bullcrap we hear about on the news.I've survived an abusive stepfather by breaking his legs, then moving away... at 14. I traveled for 2 years cross country doing odd jobs here and there. I returned home and re-enrolled in high school and still graduated on time not from someone taking pity on me but by working hard at school and taking care of my little brother. I've never stolen anything, and will do without before I would, that;s partly why I hate theives. I didn't mean to write a book, or ask for any pity or that crap. yeah im just 28 but feel like I've lived enough for ten men. All i want is to make my living in peace, to love cherish and protect the woman who saved me from the hell i was living in and to live here in my little slice of heaven. I've said my piece. Thanks and sorry to be so long winded or drag anyone down. This is just where I'm comong from on this topic. On to lighter things.

  90. #90OCR2008-05-18 02:00

    Nice post bear...:thumbsup

  91. #91bear2008-05-18 02:18

    Just sayin my peice and tryin to explain the reason(s) I am the cuss I be. Not very coherent tired, bad day, wife sick tractor puked the injector pump and gotta do some major welding on my 40 ft tandem trailer and replace some major stuff. when it rains it pours huh? Such is life, but gotta keep on keepin' on. Moss don't grow on a rollin stone either, but I feel like one that's rolled off Everest today. Just noticed I've been upgraded to Senior member, I must be spending a good bit of time here huh? That prolly explains the dirty looks I get when I look at the computer?

  92. #92CM19952008-05-18 09:16

    Good post Bear! Sounds like you have many miles in your shoes for a young man, hang in there.

  93. #93stretch2008-05-18 09:41

    bear: :usa :notworthy

  94. #94Wolf2008-05-21 14:24

    For the Birds---How Ridiculous Work to demolish part of the former Mansfield Brewery has been halted amid fears nesting birds have been disturbed. The move comes after workers from a nearby office saw chicks falling out of nests when buildings on the main part of the site were being pulled down — so contacted police and demolition company the Cuddy Group. One staff member, who did not want to be named, told Chad: "The parent birds were just distraught. There were baby birds dropping from girders. You could not mistake that there were baby birds in there. It was really distressing. "All the babies will have died because it is just a pile of rubble now." And another said: "It is very sad that the birds have spent so much time making nests which have been destroyed in seconds. "It is the wrong time of year to be doing this sort of thing. A couple more weeks and most of them would have left the nest, but they are not prepared to wait. "This is the peak breeding time for any bird and anybody with an ounce of compassion will not demolish buildings or cut down trees or hedges." Workers say they have seen a number of birds on site, including doves, pigeons, blackbirds and sparrows. A spokesman for the Cuddy Group said as soon as demolition workers were made aware of the problem they made the site safe and stopped work. She said demolition work had now been put on hold at the main buildings on the site awaiting for a visit from English Nature.

  95. #95Wolf2008-05-21 18:44

    Has anyone else had to stop work on account of birds, turtles or other animals in the way? This seems kinda crazy.

  96. #96Dirtman20072008-05-21 19:04

    My O My what is this world comming to? Stopping an entire project just because a couple birds were killed It's is a weird sight watching squirles try to fly after they fell out off the tree you just pushed over. I alway try to give a tree a good bump if I see a nest in the top and see if there's anything in it. I don't like killing animals, but I do take the time to shake the tree with the machine first to try and make them leave. If the animal still won't leave then Timber... I tried though.

  97. #97Wolf2008-05-21 19:44

    Isn't that crazy to stop the job for a bird. And they said it was something like a pigeon or dove. What happens to the squirrels when they can't fly after you push the tree? It's cool that you bump the tree to try to empty the nest. That's a great idea. And if they don't move, well, like you said, tim---ber.

  98. #98Dozerboy2008-05-24 21:48

    Those damn Gnatcatcher in Socal have shut down a lot of jobs. In Florida you can get fined for having your landscape lighting on if you live on the coast because it disturbs sea turtle. We are pay $130 for a barrel of oil, because the Caribou might be to scared to walk under a big pipe.

  99. #99jdlogger2008-05-24 22:10

    I just started reading the monkey wrenching link and I had to stop. I could not take any more. How many of you have actually experianced this type of sabotage?

  100. #100D5G2008-05-24 22:31

    stopping work because of birds....what birds I didn't see or hear any. how stupid....but I can top that; 3 years ago they wanted to demo a school in our city and they waited 3 years for the bats to move out of their nest atop the school.NOW if it was MY job ida brought in the 375 and very quickly but nicely (with the grapple) informed the said bats that the rent has come due and we ain't waitin....some crazy people in this world.

  101. #101Deas Plant2008-05-25 00:54

    Rent Due????????????????? Hi, D5G. And if there was a court order invovled the 'tree huggers' would have OWNED your company. Yes, I know it is frustrating, annoying, galling and any one or more of a lot of other descriptive terms. Unfortunately, in the current political and social climate, these people are being listened to more and more. What's more, I think we'd all better get used to it 'cos I don't see it get any better any time soon. The only thing I can see that MIGHT change it is when/if the greater bulk of the population starts to get the notion that the reason they don't have the services and infrastructure they want and need is 'cos these same tree-huggers are stopping that infrastructure from being built. You might like to take a look at this: http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/10286/ Now just why do we have high oil prices again????????????????????????????? If you want to do something CONSTRUCTIVE about putting a crimp in the tree-hugger's style, start making it well and truly known just why various projects are at a standstill and why we have high oil prices and why we have higher prices for our food and other needs. How many acres of good farm land have you seen affected by so-called environmental restrictions. What have emission controls done to farmers' operating expenses? For that matter, what have they done to the operating expenses of anybody who burns fuel for a living? And the list goes on.

  102. #102humboldt deere2008-05-25 01:06

    You know guys, probably the best thing we can do to diffuse the tree huggers rampage is act environmentally responsible and try and bite our tongues when confronted by these misguided activists. These people need something that attracts news headlines and controversy to keep peoples attention on them. Lets not give them what they want, after all we have HEF to vent all of our frustration, and keep it out of the workplace and public eye.:drinkup

  103. #103D5G2008-05-25 01:24

    I agree Deas, and I forgot to add one little detail, they were so worried about the birds they didn't even remember they needed to shut off the water and when the guy runnin the 365 grabbed the old boiler they had a 25' geyser on their hands and it took the water dept almost an hour to get it shut off.....funny isnt it. They waited 3 years for the bats to leave and they didn't even check to make sure the water was off.

  104. #104Deas Plant2008-05-25 01:55

    Venting frustrations. Hi, Humboldt Deere. You think we're safe 'venting frustrations' here????????? These people have tremendous resources at their disposal and heaps more spare man- and woman-hours than you or I do. You might like to take a look at Bear's great realisation back on page 5 in this thread. In view of this, would you care to take a bet that nobody, nowhere, is watching this and other forums? I doubt the site programming lists ALL visitor's IP addresses in perpetuity.

  105. #105Deas Plant2008-05-25 02:06

    Forgot the water? Hi, D5G. Not surprising. There are a lot of very highly 'edumackayted' people amongst the tree-huggers. THAT does not necessarily make them smart. How-wevver, take them all for being totally stupid at your own risk. I don't like the breed much at all myself, but I have to admit that they have achieved raising community awareness of environmental issues that big business and industry were just brushing under the carpet. Now I think we have come to a point where we need to have a dispassionate look at all the issues and make some rational decisions on where to go from here. At a recent truck accident here in DownUnder, a 'greenie' was ranting beside the road at the accident scene that all freight should be put back on the rail system and trucks should be done away with. Stupid clot wasn't smart enough to realise that rail doesn't go anywhere near about 99% of the places that freight needs to get to, which is why we have trucks. How do you deal with that kind of mentality?

  106. #106humboldt deere2008-05-25 02:35

    Deas you may be right, Were being watched but the point I am trying to make is when huggers climb up in a tree and someone goes up there and brings them down safely and hands em over to the cops, guess who the villain is. Any publicity is good publicity, right?

  107. #107Deas Plant2008-05-25 08:06

    Publicity. Hi, Humboldt Deere. You're 100% spot on about the publicity. How-wevver, you are not going to change that aspect of the issue until you can get some ENFORCABLE laws passed prohibiting bias and the dessemination of misleading information in the media. Do you see that happening any time soon? Freedom of the press? What about the freedom of the people to have the truth? Or doesn't that matter? Another place where that bias in the press shows up pretty regularly is in media reporting of the various conflicts around the globe, especially where your country's forces are involved. To my simple mind, it's a pity that some of the mongrels practising this sort of reporting can't be charged with treason or, at the very least, libel. Misleading the public would be another good one to hit them with 'cos it's nothing more or less than that, and all to suit their own personal agendas. The first victim of reporting is the truth. So when are you standing for congress so that you can start getting all that changed? LOL.

  108. #108John C.2008-05-25 15:14

    This was done a couple of weeks ago and only made a slight reference in the local news media. http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/local/story/365115.html The story doesn't say the criminals took a PC750 and completely smashed a small excavator to nothing but scrap metal. They took the 750 into some woods, dug a hell of a hole and then backed an articulated haul truck into it. They dumped debris into the fuel and hydraulic tanks of all the other equipment on site and damaged the ignition switches on top of that. There was far in excess of $500,000 in damage and the only news coverage is a couple of paragraphs in the paper and one interview on the local TV station. I had to do a Google search just to find the link above with any media two weeks later. So who is really behind the envrionmental movement? All this damage and less coverage by the media than one would see of an illegal immigrant camp being busted. A house fire or car wreck gets more attention. There are universities preaching to moldable minds that haven't been schooled to high moral standards. Impressionable minds that could be steered to worthwhile endevors are being wasted on the new religion of environmentalism. It's OK to damage personal property to prevent any more harm to mother earth. It's OK to throw rocks through bank windows because they are financing the destruction or the earth. My professor says so. Even the students who make it through the education system are swayed to some extent. When they get to positions of power and influence later in their careers they carry a sympathic ear to the errational dogma they were exposed to when their minds were being molded. A news paper editor or television news director gives the story short coverage because after all the damage is insured. Nobody was killed or hurt so it's not really news. Besides that would just inform the rest of the populace possibly inciting them against the environmental movement as a whole. So what is the difference between an immam preaching to young men and women that it is laudible to blow themselves up in the name of Allah and a university professor telling his students that something extreme has to be done to stop a new housing development in the name of mother earth.

  109. #109BrianHay2008-05-25 15:56

    Out of the public eye Don't mean to go off topic and I don't want to start a discussion in this thread about this, just a heads up for those not aware of it. We are not out of the public eye here. We represent our industry with what we say here and on other related forums, it is very public. http://www.google.ca/search?q=tree+...-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=gwg&sa=2

  110. #110bear2008-05-25 16:34

    came close once but had the last laugh. all i'm gonna say.

  111. #111CM19952008-05-25 21:43

    Good post John C.

  112. #112Deas Plant2008-05-26 09:08

    My Point. Hi, John C. My point exactly.

  113. #113Stripeyjack2008-05-30 09:01

    Two sayings come into mind.... "Fertilize the bush....doze in a greenie" "The only true wilderness is between a greenies ears" Sums it up pretty good I think! Cheers Stripeyjack

  114. #114Wolf2008-05-30 14:00

    What kind of encounters have you had with the "greenies," Stripeyjack? Tell all.

  115. #115Stripeyjack2008-05-31 02:28

    :my2c Well Wolf, I guess I am fortunate in that I have not had a face-to-face encounter with what we here in Oz refer to as 'Greenies'. My biggest beef is the influence they have had in political circles and how this has had considerable implications. To give you some background I live in north-east Victoria on the Great Dividing Range, Australia's main mountain range (which sees snow each year etc) and grew up on a beef farm- but have had exposure to the logging industry and so forth. Over the years a lot of country which was managed sustainably by loggers (in conjunction with the then Forests Commission) and land in the alpine parts which was grazed sustainably by cattlemen since the 1850's has been 'locked up' by the government who have been influenced by the environmental movement :badidea. The alpine grazing issue is pretty significant as grazing has been effective as a fire management tool, as fuel loads have been able to be kept in check. (If you have seen the movie 'The Man From Snowy River' this provides a bit of a background to the environment/country in which I am talking about). This part of the country is one of the top three most volatile places in the world for bushfires. I digress however in saying that fire has been an effective management tool, being used to help regenerate coupes after logging (many eucalypt trees need fire in order to pop open their seed cases) and that the 'bush' was regularly burnt each autumn to manage the fuel loads on the forest floor to prevent a summer inferno. However the recent trend has been to phase out the majority of logging and grazing and the cut backs in 'cool burns', to lock up the country and seemingly throw away the keys. In 2003, as a volunteer firefighter I was involved with the Alpine Fires which ran for 32 days, burnt over 1.3 million hectares and was the worst fires in Victoria since the 1939 Black Friday fires. (link to map) http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/CA256F310024B628/0/41680B29ACF3764FCA2572130034254A/$File/Alpine_map_final_small.pdf Again in 2006-2007 there were significant fires in the area with a lot of the bush burnt in 2003 was burnt again which has had effects on the regrowth from '03. The argument has been that if the country had been managed properly the severity of these fires may not have been as widespread. So I guess what gets up my jumper is when I see a soap-avoiding dole-bludging tree-hugger chaining themself to a D7 or log truck out in the bush and squealing about how the environment is being ruined when I have seen and experienced the consequences of irresponsible management, not to mention my taxes are helping pay their way via their unemployment benefits (probably a generalisation but it makes me :Banghead a bit!) Well anyway thats just my opinion, having expressed these views in the past I have been classified as a 'redneck' but so be it....thats my $0.05 worth (sorry If I spent more than ($0.02 ), I will now step down off the :soapbox Cheers Stripeyjack

  116. #116Wolf2008-06-01 14:27

    Greenies You're right that the greenies don't realize the importance of good land management, both in terms of logging and grazing. Do they log the eucalyptus is your part of the world? They are kind of used for windblocks only in california, and the greenies want them removed because they are not native species to the west coast of the us. They cut down a whole island of eucalyptus here because the greenies were screaming it was not native species. Ridiculous.

  117. #117equippartsdir2008-06-01 23:09

    Greenies Wolf, I really feel for all you Ironheads out there in Cali. Back East, we refer to California as the land of "Fruits & Nuts". It's amazing that you guys get anything accomplished out there, with all of the regulations and such. :Banghead The new offroad emission standards are insane. Pretty soon, the crackheads will have multiple choices for hijacking catalytic converters out there: passenger cars and offroad equipment. Forgot to mention that my Carbon Footprint is roughly the size of Ohio

  118. #118[-Agent-]2008-06-02 00:29

    Just down the road. Atleast the non-cat excavator was killed *muhahaha* Sucks though, I never saw it on the news either.

  119. #119Wolf2009-08-09 01:26

    pssing off the tree huggers Anybody done anything good to xxxx off the tree huggers lately? Let's hear some good stories, men.

  120. #120D5G2009-08-09 09:10

    we cut down a bunch of trees on the last road job I was on, that made the leaf lickers mad.

  121. #121spitzair2009-08-09 13:40

    Some years ago there was a huge protest in the Elaho valley North of Squamish. The tree huggers went and vandalized logging equipment and built camps and so on and so forth. Finally the loggers had enough and paid them a visit! I asked my buddy, who was part of it, how it went, whether it was a good or bad visit, he just grinned and said that all depends on who's side of the fence you're on! The greenies fled the area, threatened to sue and whatnot and then come back and create more carnage. Well that wasn't happening - the loggers blocked the road and wouldn't let anybody in unless they signed a petition that supported the forest industry. It made the news for a while and, as far as I'm concerned, made the tree huggers look like the utter fools that they are!:canada I just wish I was part of that "visit"...

  122. #122optherockman2009-08-12 02:35

    great stories. mines not about greenies but maybe worse, guys that don't pay. This was my Poppa's friend, who in the 70's, did a subdivison a couple km south of the border. After month's of tring to get paid, and maybe a bottle of Rye( gives us all big balls doesn't it) He roaded his grader through the border and preceded to un- finish grade all of the new seal coat roads in the sub-division. With the serriff's and border guards blazing six shooters behind him, he ran right through the border back to Canada. Thank god for a good CAT rad and protector.

  123. #123Wolf2009-08-12 03:11

    Ha! How many trees did you push? I hope that they were big old ones and I hope that your tree hugger friends were right there when you pushed them over with a big track hoe and ran over them and ground them up right in front of their faces! Even better if you got to burn them on site. Or load them out in demo trailers. Nice job, man.

  124. #124Wolf2009-08-12 03:13

    That's pretty funny. Sounds like there was some good carnage from that "visit." The leaflickers were running for cover, and when they came back they had to face the loggers head on. Great going. Would love to see the pics from that confrontation. Great job, Spitzair.

  125. #125Wolf2009-08-12 03:15

    Sounds like your Poppa's friend did quite a number on that subdivision. When you said south of the border, I immediately thought of Mexico, but ethnocentric me is so wrong, he messed up the US subdivision. That is too funny. The leaflickers might have been proud of him for messing up the subdivision, but it's good to see that Poppa's friend took the matter into his own hands, helped by a bottle of rye, and fixed the deadbeats pretty good. I hope he eventually got paid. If not, they prolly spent double fixing the damage. Nice going, bro.

  126. #126Abscraperguy2009-08-12 22:26

    A few of my mottos for life. Save the trees wipe your butt with a beaver. (I prefer porcupine) Save a cow eat a vegetarian.