Hello guys, new here. I am looking to do some tree removal, (nothing too big 10- 12 in at the largest) , I have several 20-30 ac treed areas, some dirt work. I am looking at a 6 or 7 sized machine. I have ran 7g and liked him but they hold there value lol. Also they are getting old. I have been milling over the idea of a hoe with brush rack and thumb. Or even a larger loader but I don't think that is very smart. I think the hoe would maker nicer pile and no dirt but would take alot longer. Any Ideas?
I really like a hoe and find I can use a much small dozer or even tractor to make brush piles.Keep in mind when buying a hoe or dozer even though a cat or deere might hold a higher value they also as much easier to sell when it,s time to move one.Take good care of it and it can bring close to what you pd. for it.
Thats a great point! I have thought about going in that 50k range and could prob get most of my money out of it in couple yr. Is a hoe cost effective for 20 ac chunks if I am doing the work?
A hoe will do alot of work.I use one alot.Size of course has alot to do with performance.I have taken and small hoe such as a Cat.70 and done alot of work.I have had cat.200B and now have a JD200C.I had long sticks on all of them.If all I needed to do was take trees out I think I would go with the hoe.
Thanks! Another benefit to the hoe with brush rack would be it would leave the dirt mostly root free.
humm... 50k I think id buy a d-6 w/ a rake and a winch for 20 - 30, then rent the excavator if you though you needed it. You need a decent size excavator 160 minimun for that many acres and a 200 would be better. They can me kinda spendy in that class, and your not going to need one for a super long period to get those trees laid out. If the 6 is set up with a tree bar, it may do just fine by itself. It will take forever to rake 25 acres of roots with a hoe...
What is a tree bar? I have mostly ran dozers in dirt very limited bluff work . I think that of I buy a hoe I would want to be a 270+ smaller then that and they seem pretty useless lol. If I had my own cat repiling would not be a issue
There's some pics of a tree bar / tree pusher in this post: Basically it will let you push higher up on the tree so that you can use a smaller dozer to push over the tree. If you don't have a pusher, you can always pile dirt up to the tree to create a ramp for the dozer. Of course, this gets old in a hurray if you need to do it for lots of trees! Andrew
Thanks Andrew. That tree bar is a neet unit. I don't think the trees I have in NW sask need that type of unit. I think I would be farther ahead to get a little bigger unit. ? What would you get in that 40k -50 k range in a big 6 + type of unit? I looked at a nice 1850k case guy sold it for 45, also went and looked at a 850? Deere not sure on the number on machine. ... Thought about 6R but prob out of my $$$
I traded my D 5 H for a JG 750C II LT.It would handle your trees if not rooted too deep.While I did like the 5 I wanted a better cab.I also would not worry too much about too many roots ,limbs ect if I used a hoe as you can handle these with little to no breakage.A months rental on a hoe can get alot of work done in short order.
What kinda dirt you got in that area? sand I'd say dozer as it will pull the roots out and would be 10 times faster, heavy clay ground or hilly hoe.
A good place to check to see what things are selling for is Ritchie Bros website. To see finished auctions, you need to register. It will let you see the original listing, pics, finial price, etc. http://www.rbauction.com/ Andrew
Hello Matt I am up by North Battleford. We are little heavier land After the replies I'm thinking That I could rent a hoe for a week I would clean up the area ! North east of battleford to be exact.
I own both a smaller excavator and a smaller dozer, and have cleared alot of land with both. For removing trees, a hoe will do it so much cleaner and easier. But for the cleaning up limbs and leveling out the land when you've pushed everything out, a dozer with a rake is pretty nice. What I've noticed is that with a dozer, and pushing stuff into burn piles, you always seem to get dirt, and dirt don't burn so well. :/
EXCAVATO R AND THUMB . Only way to go .
We are clearing around fifteen acres for hayfield with a D6D and a backhoe. The D6 does the majority of the brushing (we are just pushing the debris against a mountain base) and we then use the backhoe to dig up the roots that the "cross hatching" does not get. We are mainly dealing with small pine trees (around 1-6 inches), so the going was fairly easy, but I would also recommend at least falling and chopping up the bigger trees- makes them easier to handle. If I encountered a stump that the D6 could not push out, we would just dig out around it with the backhoe until it could push over. For a bulldozer, I would recommend getting the biggest you can afford. A bigger machine helps you cover more land quickly. Powershift would be a huge plus- when raking, you need to back up frequently.
Yair . . . And if you want to get fair dinkum with twelve inch trees this would work just fine. This is assuming of course that the timber can just be stacked and burnt . . . twenty or thirty acres is no big deal. http://www.rlafinance.com.au/product_details.php?product_id=203&child_id=14 Cheers
Now that's a blade! Andrew
Yair . . . Andrew_D Its fairly typical for land clearing here abouts. I like to have the full width tree pusher rather than a spear. Some folks knock down with the blade and then put on the rake . . . I just go straight in with the rake. You can perhaps see why I cannot understand the US fixation with track loaders and excavators as clearing machines . . . this style of rake and pusher can be sized to fit any machine. Cheers.