Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tree shear

RockingBarF · 2016-09-16 17:14

After looking around to buy a tree shear dual cylinder cuts for skidsteer. 16" - 20" cuts I've decided to look into building n making my own after several companies n manafacture want 9 thousand n up for them shears. I know the blades are A.R. 400 but was wondering the frame n body itself can it be mild steel or have to be specific stuff also?? Plan is using 1/2" thick plates for the frame n cylinder mounts on outside and 4 inch thick for jaws bolted to blades and rod end of cylinder. Will be using 5 inch bore 10 inch stroke 3 inch rod cylinder or maybe bigger cylinder. 2"×4"×1/4" for frame to the grapple with expand metal for guard also putting a sprayer system on it I was gonna buy the blades and make the jaws bolted pattern with the blades because I know drilling throu AR 400 is literally impossible. I'm looking into buying the pins n bushing from caterpillar or john deere n use them scince there's not a good reliable machine shop near me. from central Missouri. cattle man live like there's no tomorrow.

Replies11
  1. #1lantraxco2016-09-16 17:59

    In a former lifetime I used T1 on the one I built, A656-80 would probably be fine. I wouldn't use mild steel it bends too easy in my opinion. Five inch cylinders should be fine, might consider a regeneration setup on your cylinders to speed them up until they hit the load, they're gonna be slow on a skid steer. The old 974/975 Bobcat's had tree shears.... Depending on the bolt hole size, you may be able to get the blades plasma cut with bolt holes or slots burned in, I don't recall exactly but I think the hole has to be at least as big in diameter as the thickness of the material, not sure.

  2. #2DDoug2016-09-16 19:40

    Yup, used to be that rule of thumb...however, I sent out a .dxf file to a local shop for burning. 1.5" thick, and I accidentally left the 1" tapped holes in the file.... Burn nester took minor dia.. (7/8") and made the most beautiful holes, could have reamed them slightly and ran a tap down on thru. Edges were real sharp too, no preheat flame round over (I assumed oxy cut) So I called them up to inquire, they said they got in a new "high definition plasma" machine with oxygen assist.

  3. #3lantraxco2016-09-16 20:04

    Sweet! :notworthy

  4. #4Bumpsteer2016-09-16 21:29

    That cutting capacity on a skidsteer doesn't even come close to sounding safe to me. Sorry. Ed

  5. #5RockingBarF2016-09-16 22:17

    Thank you lantraxco I'll look into that kind of steel. I was planning on using 5/8" grade 8 bolts but after reading your post I will up the bolt sizes. from central Missouri. cattle man live like there's no tomorrow.

  6. #6lantraxco2016-09-16 22:26

    Would be okay if it's a directional shear, doesn't hold the tree... or maybe a dangle head with a chain saw would work?

  7. #7DDoug2016-09-17 07:37

    Yes, these newer machines are. However, the sales man should have come around with some samples (and a sheet of tolerances) when the new machine was installed. I would have Sent them more work if I knew.

  8. #8lantraxco2016-09-17 13:26

    There's salesmen, and there's order takers.... lot of coasting going on in my opinion...

  9. #9old-iron-habit2016-09-17 23:31

    There has been thousands and thousands of cords of aspen cut around here with 1080 Bobcats with 16" shearheads on them. With over tire tracks they handled 7 stick (65 to 70 ft tall) aspen well. I see no reason why a new larger skid steer would not perform as well. There was a bunch of them 1080 shears around this area left over from when most folks switched to hot saws. The high scrap prices got most of them a few years ago. My BIL still uses an old non planetary 1080 with a shear to hobby cut 300 cords of pulpwood every winter. The biggest trees you dump quick and not try to carry them. Just bring the smaller ones to The oversized one and make your bunch there.

  10. #10DDoug2016-09-18 19:50

    Yup, same on this side of the country. If I was the salesman, I would have some samples made up to hand out, showing the better tolerances and capabilities I'm trying to sell.

  11. #11RockingBarF2016-09-18 21:09

    1080?? I agree with you on that. I used to run a case midrange size with a 16 inch cut it handled it perfect n yes I got alot bigger machine noe with rubber tracks n biggest one that brand makes from central Missouri. cattle man live like there's no tomorrow.