So I'm putting some pipe in the ground using the Yanmar mini ex. I'm down somewhere between 11 and 15 feet, its hard pan clay, darned near shale, I'd have a hard time driving a nail into this soil without a good sized hammer and down to about 10 feet its dry dry as a bone! I've almost worn through a set of teeth in 15-20 hours of digging, you can't scoop you have to scrape. A scoop will work if you're taking 3 inches or less but its right near max digging force. Anyway, setting all the pipe manually, I'm a bit too deep to use a boom mounted laser or anything fancy so I'll dig, set the pipe, cover the end with a block and a board and then backfill a bit. some places I can't straddle the trench to bucket compact it so in those areas I'd fill halfway as even as possible, dam the cut end and flood the trench with water using the gas pump and a couple hundred feet of 1.25 inch black plastic. At times during the filling the water level would drop fast and you could see the water rushing in to fill a pocket. Out of about 200 yards of excavation, I had about 5-7 yards material left over, though I think some of this is from a small terrain change and pipe. Its a dirt and stone driveway so I'm not worried about pavement settling and mostly its near the edge. Other than renting a trench roller I'm wondering what other options folks suggest where doing a job mostly solo.
Sorry, I don't have any suggestions but I do think that sounds kind of miserable!
How wide is the trench? A plate compactor, preferably reversible might be a good option.
Sounds like a remote controlled trench roller is the way to go IMO.
a hoe pack on the mini ex is what we would do, next would be a trench compactor if for some reason that couldnt work.
About 2.5 feet wide average
I agree esp fir a single hand operation, I missed out on an inexpensive used one
A trench roller is probably the best option. Some are walk behind without a remote.
I've got a Wacker and a Bomag both bought used at auction for less than $4K each several years ago. The Bomag hits harder than the Wacker however the Bomag is harder to find parts for online. I think the Wacker is a 2010 and the Bomag is a 2013. Something is wrong with the Bomag's remote at the moment so I need to send it to the company in NC that fixes remotes. Sent the Wacker's remote to them a few years ago to be rebuilt and they did a great job.
How about a walk behind plate compactor? I work for the county highway department and the State DOT had us dig up and back fill a sanitary sewer line on a state highway. About 15-16 feet deep. The sewer authority was not allowed to back-fill due to their reputation for not knowing what density was / is. (we didn't have to do the poo repair ) I told our guys to back fill 6-8 inches, flood the trench, run the plate compactor, rinse and repeat. I watched that patch for years. Never had any settlement. When I see a trench settle, especially in a road I get a bit irritated, there's no excuse for it. Take the time and do it correctly. Shame on the road owner for not insisting on it.
One of these things is the go if you have a quick hitch. Starting at one of the trench put some dirt down the hole and level. Then drop the bucket and put this gadget on and compact. Keep doing that until the trench is stable enough to track the digger along, nobody down the hole, backfill and compaction is a one man/machine job and yes you can you can get good test results if thats is required. https://www.eiengineering.com.au/pr...MIn6rgpvWy7AIVTQwrCh0qKQNnEAAYASAAEgL1avD_BwE
I did forget to mention we were using a trench box. OSHA compliant - we don't skip on safety either.
I'm not a huge safety nazi but I was just thinking of that @Raildudes dad . 15 feet deep in a trench, walking around, seems sketchy!
A compaction wheel attachment works but in clay They get a little finicky they dont float near as well as a robotic trench roller I would do a hoe pac those things kick ass in wet or mildly dry conditions if it's hard to bring the moisture up I would also use a jetting bar instead of all out water settle if you can jet water into your backfill material once it's in place and the hoe pac it you will get guaranteed results and all the work can be done from the top
LOL flooding the trench with water - we are always fighting TOO much water..
Very nifty, they say to return soil to original compaction. I'm not sure how you simulate few miles of ice glacier for however many years
I'm watching close for the danger signs. I have watched one of my trenches collapse before with all the warning signs. Luckily it was just geothermal, pipes dropped in from the top, held with a 2x4 and backfill. Was able to backfill before it all fell in! Soft wet blue clay soil.
Any glacier moran that I have dug wasn't that tight compared to some of the stiff clays.
who you callin a moran! Heh!! you moraine Yeah, this compressed brown clay, its like digging through rotten concrete! 150 feet at 13' deep has about worn off a set of S25 teeth.
Dam so called intelligent puter thingies plus a dumb operator who doesn't proof read.