Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trenching estimate

Twisted ยท 2008-04-03 09:01

What is the best way to estimate a trenching job? Figure the volume of material & charge by the cu. yd?

Replies5
  1. #1Wayne Jaynes2008-04-03 09:38

    Small jobs charge by the hour, large jobs by the cubic foot or yard, average what your machine will dig per hour and us that to quote your job.

  2. #2rino14942008-04-03 11:02

    I charge by the foot. Be careful though, because if you have all of your overhead figured into a unit price and the units get slashed, it could hurt you.

  3. #3Twisted2008-04-03 11:50

    Linear foot? I have done most of my very small trenching jobs by the hour but this one needs to be bid and it is larger then usual. 8'D x 5'W. The conditions are good. No cave-ins. No troublesome rock. Just yellow clay. I came up with about 1500 cu. yds.

  4. #4Wayne Jaynes2008-04-03 12:14

    I don't know where you live or what all needs to be done on that job but i live in michigan and i charge $6.00 to excavate, backfill, and grade. or $2.00 to just excavate and load it into trucks. I havn't figured new prices for my 2008 year but with fuel costs up as much as they are i will need to adjust this a little bit.

  5. #5Reuben2008-04-04 07:54

    seems cheap,how far a day do you get done