Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Triaxle dump truck dump cylinder leak

fatmike · 2019-01-23 08:32

i maintain my truck and hate leaks. Truck worked all season long and dump a lot of loads with no issues. Been doing preventative maintainance. Had bed half up yesterday and notice oil was leaking out of this cylinder. I think that’s a hole for a spanner. Doesn’t make sense why that just randomly started doing that when it was great all year long. Now I have empty bed up in the air and it wants to start leaking. I don’t run in cold weather. It has been 10 degrees outside if that has anything to do with it. Cylinder need new seal?

Replies8
  1. #1crane operator2019-01-23 08:45

    I wouldn't get too concerned about it. 10 degrees really shrinks the seals up and it isn't unusual to see some seepage. If you haven't run in a while either, the seals will dry out a little and the first time you raise and lower it again it can do that.

  2. #2fatmike2019-01-23 08:46

    Ok. Thanks man. Well see what happens then. Appreciate the response

  3. #3Bluox2019-01-23 09:26

    Is that cylinder as rough as it looks in the picture ? You may want to have a hydraulic shop take a look at it while your down. Good luck Bob

  4. #4fatmike2019-01-23 09:33

    Yeah it looks rough but never had any leaks until like I said yesterday. I bring it in for inspection in a month. If it still leaking, I’ll have them change the seal or as you might be thinking, just replace the unit. What’s that cost to do for a triaxle for parts and labor. 3-4K?

  5. #5Bluox2019-01-23 09:50

    I have no clue on cost I don't work on trucks but I send all my customers equipment cylinders to hydraulic shops to be repaired. Bob

  6. #6fatmike2019-01-23 13:09

    Thought I would follow up. Went out this morning and cycled the dump a few times to warm the fluid a little bit. Then sprayed commercial pipe gasket lubricant on the cylinders and wiped it down. Put bed in air and left it that way for several hours. Not a drop of oil now. It is 10 degrees warmer out. Don’t know if it’s the temperature or the pipe gasket lubricant. But anyhow.

  7. #7Theweldor2019-01-23 20:51

    Keep in mind when I used to do a lot of work on dump trucks. It was usually less expensive to just buy a new cylinder than it was to rebuild one. They are actually pretty cheap built cylinders.

  8. #8fatmike2019-01-23 22:02

    Yeah I appreciate the response. If it leaks again, for the time it takes to take everything apart, I’ll probably just have them throw a new cylinder on. Putting new seals I. Might buy another year or two with a cylinder that’s shot