Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trojan Loader

RollOver Pete ยท 2007-04-03 00:34

It's been about 10 years since I ran this loader. What I remember about it was that it was powered by a Detroit Diesel 8V-71, had rear wheel steering, power shift 3F-3R and felt like I was sitting on a giant Bobcat. This picture of me loading my transfer dump was taken at the now closed Massey Sand and Rock plant in Garnet Ca. Indian Ave. @ I-10.

Replies8
  1. #1RonG2007-04-03 07:33

    I ran a model 254 Trojan back in the '60's which would have been about a 1 and 3/4cy machine but it looked identical to yours minus one exhaust pipe.The muffler would have been laying down but shooting straight out the back.It had a 4 cyl Detroit but I do not profess to know whether it was a 53 or 71.I think it was a 71 because it didn't rev like a 53 does. We traded it in eventually on a Trojan 4000 with a 5cy bucket which had an 8v53 in it..............music!!! Ron G

  2. #2Countryboy2007-04-03 22:47

    I found some pics of this one. :drinkup View attachment Trojan Loader.bmp View attachment Trojan loader 2.bmp

  3. #3RollOver Pete2007-04-04 02:32

    Thanks Counrtyboy. Looks like a heavier loader than the one I ran. I remember that it had more than enough power and speed. The steering was another issue. It would get away from you in a hurry.

  4. #4Countryboy2007-04-04 02:56

    The site says its a Trojan 304A wheel loader. Thats the only info it offers. Do you happen to know what model the one you posted was?

  5. #5RollOver Pete2007-04-04 03:24

    No...no clue. I wish I could remember. For a rear wheel steer, which means real old....it was in great shape!

  6. #6Countryboy2007-04-04 03:34

    Heres a nudder one. Was it bigger than this?

  7. #7dayexco2007-04-04 13:46

    competitor of my dad's years ago had a twin to the one in the last pic. he always roaded it backwards, said it was a lot safer that way.

  8. #8RollOver Pete2007-04-04 15:13

    Looks like it was a little bigger. I can see the blower showing by the engine compartment which means a 4 or 6 cylinder Detroit. The one I ran had a V8 Detroit.