Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

trojan steering problem–help

red star ยท 2011-04-04 23:14

i bought a 1964 straight frame series 254 rear steering the guy a bought it from said the steering stopped working after a few new lines were changed for the bucket any ideas

Replies2
  1. #1mitch5042011-04-04 23:23

    Man, I went through hades w/ the steering on an old Trojan in 1995, got it working good finally. I don't remember much, but if you can refresh my memory... Do you have pressure and flow at the steering valve?

  2. #2pinesd34002011-04-05 09:07

    I dont know if this helps, but mine when cold when I warm it up, then in about 20 sec it makes this loud hyd buzz sound right under the floor board and gets louder if you turn the wheel but wont steer (which I dont) then just about when the heater starts throwing heat all this goes away and steers perfect. Book talks about some kind of steering press. regulator located about where my noise comes from. I do know some had a power steering res at the pump. And some like mine gets feed from the main tank were there is a filter that nobody has. I just cant understand changing bucket lines has anthing to do with the steering. see if there i s pressure comming out of the pump. For what I get out of the book is that full press. is not feed to the steering box which controls the direction of flow then to this valve like a relay, this gives the pressure to the steering cylinder. this valve is also adjustable I may be way off line but thats the way I take it from the book sam