Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trouble codes JD H series dozers

WV Logger ยท 2008-04-08 14:19

Can anyone direct me to a source on the internet that might have the trouble codes for the H series John Deere dozers? Plus any site that might have troubleshooting information on the H series JD. I got two codes on my 650H - F393 and F 383. One is a RPM code not sure of the other. TIA. Jason

Replies14
  1. #1headwrench2008-04-08 15:09

    if you have a owners manual the codes are listed in it.or i usally call our dealer and they tell us what they are

  2. #2Xcopterdoc2008-04-08 19:04

    The letter F indicates a fault has occured. The number 3 indicates it is a fault in the trnsmission area. The 3rd digit of 8 indicates a problem with B3, Right Track Motor Speed Sensor. The 3rd digit of 9 indicates a problem with B6, Hyd Pump Speed Sensor. The 4th digit of 3 indicates an open circuit, shorted circuit or no feedback is present. Do not attempt calibration. In otherwords, the trans controller isn''t reading the speed sensors.

  3. #3Countryboy2008-04-08 23:14

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums WV Logger! :drinkup

  4. #4WV Logger2008-04-09 08:41

    Thanks guys. Never had a set of books untill about three weeks ago when I bought a set off of e-bay...but they are with a guy who is trying to fix the 550H I have. The coupler has come apart on it that controls all functions. He works as a mechanic for a very large trucking and excavation company. He has a shop at his house so during the day there is no way for me to get with him. The dealer I work with is outstanding but yesterday they were swamped with work and it was hard for them to get back with me...so I turned to the next best source of info. I think we got all the sensors ordered early evening yesterday and should be fixed by Friday.

  5. #5WV Logger2008-04-09 08:43

    Xcopterdoc are you a mechanic for a JD dealer?

  6. #6Xcopterdoc2008-04-10 20:24

    No WV.. I don't work for a JD dealer. I work for a large rental company and over the years I have attended many of the factory schools.

  7. #7WV Logger2008-04-11 07:43

    Oh, ok. You still know alot though. We fixed the problem yesterday. Only one sensor was bad. In turn there was no reading to the speed sensor which was making it give a fault. It was ok though. All checked by a JD mechanic. We are good to go.

  8. #8tool_king2010-03-29 20:50

    Xcopterdoc which rntal company do you work for?

  9. #9tool_king2010-03-29 20:56

    That was which rental company .I work for United Rentals

  10. #1067kato2011-04-02 21:27

    timely question Hi, My 550H just coded some similar numbers recently. When I try to turn left or right, the machine fights to stay straight. the codes it showed are F393, F321 & F392. What fun am I in for? ointhead Thanks, John

  11. #11mc10822011-04-14 22:24

    we had a similar problem with a 550. ended up being a rubbed wire by one of the track motors.

  12. #12fredwarner2015-09-14 15:07

    Confused retiree I am a retired teacher who lives in Connecticut and has a John Deere 550H dozer I bought years ago when my daughter was building a house next to mine. The machine now has 208 hours on it - obviously I don't use it very much. My current problem is that I tried to start it this morning and it doesn't want to. It worked fine several days ago but just won't start today. Turning the key gives me a click but no starter. I look at messages and some seem to say it might be the starter relay and some say it might be the computer. I get a good 12 volts from the starter terminal but don't know how to check the solenoid relay. I bought all the repair manuals when I bought the dozer but evidently the starter has its own special manual. I used to work in a garage but that was when I was in high school before I went into the service - like 1940's. I'd rather not haul a repair man out to the boonies if I don't have to. Can you help?

  13. #13roddyo2015-09-14 21:19

    12 volts is low. Have you tried to jump it?

  14. #14fredwarner2015-09-15 08:45

    My ignorance. I assumed that anything with 12 or above was OK. I actually get 12.84 volts. When I turn key on I get 4 lights; big STOP, small "volts", "seat belt", and "eng oil press". I get backup signal sound. When I turn key to start I get 11 lights, including one that says "check service code". I also get starter solenoid click but nothing with starter. One of the little lights is "check service code" but I don't see any place where a service code is shown.