Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trouble Identifying Your Bucket Teeth?

equippartsdir ยท 2009-04-07 23:25

I commented on a previous post where someone was inquiring about a Caterpillar Style Bucket Tooth. The post included a Cat P/N which makes the demand very easy to address. I've run into so many guys that have no clue as to what design (manufacturer) or size bucket tooth they have. I've been been contemplating whether it might be beneficial to develop a "Bucket Tooth Identification Link", on our website, to better promote our capabilities. All input would be appreciated.

Replies13
  1. #1DarrylMueller2009-04-11 01:10

    Yes, and a lot of people use teeth upside down because they don't know any better.

  2. #2woberlin2009-04-11 11:11

    I think that would be a great feature for your website.

  3. #3okey2009-04-16 15:29

    I hear you, DarrylMueller. I have had countless arguments with people, (a lot being mechanics), about the proper installation of excavator and backhoe teeth. And its not that they get it right 50% of the time........ they get it wrong 99% of the time! I have some pics of new teeth that were installed, by mechanics, upside down with the word TOP cast in them.:Banghead I'll try to post them some time.

  4. #4eRay2009-04-16 22:47

    That sounds like a great idea for beginners like me. If you want to be even more helpful show some tips on how to get the flex pins out of series 23 teeth to change them. I bought a pin punch and have wore out a 20 Ounce ball peen hammer and still have not gotten the pin out.

  5. #5willie592009-04-16 23:07

    You could look at the Pinsmaster pin removal/installation tool www.pinmaster.com . What I usually do is get the tooth "out of my way", after all, if I'm replacing it, that means it's junk anyway. Take a cutting torch and remove the metal of the tooth behind the pin, the metal of the tooth that the pin uses to keep the pin on the shank. Once you've cut out this metal "bridge" behind the hole in the tooth, smack it with a hammer and get the tooth out of your way, now your just dealing with a pin in a shank. Then I usually don't have much problem getting the pin out of the shank.

  6. #6Canadian_digger2009-04-17 16:55

    I wish I had your problem. I anything I find they come out to easy and the shanks are not worn out. We do dig in a lot of rocky soil though.

  7. #7JIMCO2009-04-18 17:05

    I agree. My teeth are new Hensley x290 n a Geith bucket with very little use. 1200 hrs on machine. I,m tired of losing $70. teeth in the loam pile. What is the trick???

  8. #8equippartsdir2009-04-18 21:34

    JIMCO, You shouldn't be losing teeth if the pins are driven in to the correct depth. I think Geith is using genuine Hensley but even they are bringing in most of their garden variety stuff in from China now. No telling if it's a quality problem. Interestingly enough though, they haven't lowered the price!

  9. #9JIMCO2009-04-18 21:48

    You got that right. doubled from last year. I'm using two types of pins. One with rubber sandwiched between to steel pieces. And anouther all steel with a tang that snaps into place. The rubber one is very difficult to install. On occation desroying the rubber installing it. And the solid one with a tang, once the tooth get into some hard diggin the tang bends and falls out. I'm thinking about bolting them in but a 5/8 is to tight and the 1/2 is to loose. 9/16 would the cure but my local hardware store doesn't have them in G8. Any other pin types out there one might suggest? The bolts will certainly make a statement....one I choose not to make.

  10. #10equippartsdir2009-04-18 22:04

    JIMCO, Not sure what your running into but my suggestion would be to tack weld both the top and the bottom of the pin. Don't go to nuts because you'll have to grind off the welds to change teeth. Most importantly, get some preheat into the teeth/pin prior to welding. Moisture resides in steel and you need to get it out prior to welding. Otherwise, the hydrogen {contained in water} sets up in the weld and it fails due to hydrogen embrittlement. You'll still lose the teeth and continue to spend big $$$. NEVER DIG WITH BARE SHANKS! You'll be creating an even bigger problem with tooth retention.

  11. #11JIMCO2009-04-18 22:31

    Thanks for the reply. I never dig without a tooth on the shank. Also the information on welding will be very helpful. That was something I didn't know.Thanks again

  12. #12equippartsdir2009-04-18 23:14

    Forgot to mention, only weld on the K290S Steel Pin, not the P330 or P330STP Rubber/Steel Combo Pins. Youl'll melt the rubber inlay and defeat the purpose.

  13. #13buckfever2010-11-09 18:45

    the rubber pins sound like the same ones on our 310 se backhoe. There junk and even in new shanks if you star digging ind hard rock they break and pop out. As for the bolts we started using stainless steel bolts and nuts. held great but i don't care what someone thinks of a little redneck ingenuity. Our geith bucket on both our ex's have hensliey shanks but there 294's and we've never had a problem with the pins on thoses.