Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trouble Shutting down a UH045

Eagle Spirit ยท 2009-02-18 00:31

Hi, What is the trick to getting the old Hitachi to shut down? To shut it down now I have to turn the key off, I push the throttle forward, and then I have to put a load on by lifting the front of the machine. I am very new to running any excavators or heavy equipment. Thanks!

Replies6
  1. #1special tool2009-02-18 06:40

    Is the key a battery disconnect like the old Cats? Do you have a key AND a seperate starter switch? If not, you pbably have a broken casing on your throttle cable and it is stuck. The whole casing will then bend and not give you the entire throttle range.

  2. #295zIV2009-02-18 07:18

    Check around the cab and see if there are any t-type pull cable heads sticking out. If there is that might be a fuel shut off, try pulling that out with the key off and see if the machine dies.

  3. #3special tool2009-02-18 07:26

    Oh, and don't forget the pictures of the Hitach...

  4. #4SterlingR2009-02-18 23:27

    Hitachi had a problem with some of their models and the shutoff cable ran under the muffler and melted. Once it melted it would restrict cable movement.

  5. #5Eagle Spirit2009-02-19 00:35

    Thanks for the replys. To start there is just a key to turn. I will check out the other suggestions. The muffler has rusted out and needs to be replaced. When I get the new muffler I will check out the cable at that location. Pictures will be coming soon I hope. Also, anyone know where I might find a operators or tech manual for this Hitachi? Thanks again!

  6. #6KenAl2009-02-21 21:38

    The UH-045 uses the throttle cable to shut it off. In the start position of the throttle you are 1/2 way in the throttle slot in the dash. You pull back to rev up the engine. To shut off you go to the idle position. Then push forward with the throttle against a spring resistance. (You can look into the slot to see the spring). This action puts the throttle lever off the injection pump to low or no fuel which stops the engine. When the cable stretches, even though you push it all the way fwd it is not enough to shut the engine. You most likely are not even getting the full Rpm if the cable is streched. To check, with enigine off pull the cable all the way go back to the engine fuel injection pump and see if it is up against the stop. If not you are not getting full RPM. Next have someone hold the throttle all the way fwd against the spring and go back to the injection pump and see if it is against the other stop. If not this is why it is not shutting the engine down. There might be enough adjustment in the cable to remedy this. Keep in mind if you adjust the cable one way you might robb from the other direction. There is no electric stop motor or a pull cable on this machine.