Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

troubleshooting fermec engine wont start

h20fella ยท 2014-12-12 05:21

Hi, I have a Fermec 760b, has been running perfect for the 6 months Ive owned it. The other day, it stalled on me at the end of the day, and when I restarted it, the engine light came on, and it seemed to be chugging, alot less power, for about ten minutes, then was fine, engine light went out, power returned. I parked it, and when I went to start it the next day, it started fine, stalled, then engine light came on again, and would not start again. It was a cold and snowy day, so I thought it may be too cold to start, tried quick start, and it doesnt do anything, enging turns over fast, but doesnt seem to even try to fire up. I dont know much about this backhoe, had a really old case 580 c previously, which never failed to start. Can anyone point me in the right direction, as to what to look for first? Im guessing it may be a fuel problem, but are these engines hard to start in winter conditions? there is a plug for a block heater, how long should I have it plugged in for before trying to start it? Thanks, Kevin

Replies1
  1. #1bill onthehill2014-12-12 05:53

    Fuel filters or ice in the supply lines from tank to engine. Usually block heaters need and hour or 2 to be very effective. Have you tried adding some kerosene to the fuel? That will help if the fuel is gelling. Best cure for gelling or ice is a good salamander heater and a tarp.