Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

truck and trailer tipped over

grunk36 ยท 2008-09-17 15:29

this accident happened on the site i work on today me and another guy dragged out the driver out he "only"broke three ribs!!!

Replies45
  1. #1grunk362008-09-17 15:33

    two more

  2. #2JDOFMEMI2008-09-17 17:52

    Other than the obvious, What Happened?? The ground looks flat and firm in the pictures, the truck is lined up straight, the load looks to be free flowing granular material. Was it the wind? Did the tailgate not open? is there a hole we can't see? Looks like a mystery from the info we have. Can you enlighten us so we may all learn a little more?

  3. #3knucklehead982008-09-17 21:02

    I agree with you, I see no reason for it. p.s. Tailgate is open

  4. #4Chaz Murray2008-09-17 21:17

    hum...well they dont have to worry about spreadin out the gravel now

  5. #5JDOFMEMI2008-09-17 21:20

    I wrote that, then after it posted I looked again and seen it open. OOPs, but not as big of OOOOOps as the driver had>

  6. #6knucklehead982008-09-17 22:23

    Yeah I actually had to go back and do the edit . I did the same thing caught it on the way out

  7. #7qball2008-09-17 22:34

    well,duh... it's a side dump.

  8. #8grunk362008-09-17 23:09

    well its a mystery for us also but we think that either it was the tailgate who didnt open(its open on the picture but that can be forced open in the fall)or if you look at the picture of the cylinder it looks twisted in the joint that is broken so maybe thats the reason but the driver was completely confused he has ben driving for 25 years and never tipped over

  9. #9OCR2008-09-17 23:26

    truck and trailer tipped over: I'll admit that I might be a bit slow to comprehend... but I'm totally lost on this one. I'm not following this tailgate part at all... I can see it's on it's side... but what caused it to tip over...(other than gravity... )??? OCR...

  10. #10tonka2008-09-18 05:41

    red arrow shows the shows the tailgate.............:beatsme

  11. #11OCR2008-09-18 07:19

    truck and trailer tipped over: Thanks for the red arrow tonka... but I could see the gate was open form the previous pictures. And I agree with grunk36 If the tailgate wasn't open when the load was raised to dump, would that necessarily tip the truck over? I know that the material would start spilling over the sides, and maybe cause an uneven weight distribution from side to side... which could cause a tip. This might be a more likely scenario... it looks like the lift cylinder tore away from the left mount on the box. That could cause the box to fall some what and be forced and twisted to the left by the remaining mount that was still connected on the right. Actually, the cylinder started pushing and twisting the box to the left... and shifting the material that way too. Eventually, the load was so uneven, it bent the lift cylinder. The truck was already past the point of no return, and when it hit, the cylinder detached from the right side mount. What do you think???...:beatsme OCR

  12. #12Squizzy246B2008-09-18 07:24

    You beat me to it...when I saw the lug (that is broken) had bent to the right side of the truck......you'd think this could only have happened when the lug intially broke and the dump body tried to twist out of the other lug (on the left side)........so go spoil someone else's party

  13. #13Squizzy246B2008-09-18 07:25

    You'd also have to question how evenly the load was distributed

  14. #14OCR2008-09-18 08:02

    truck and trailer tipped over: ... ....... :lmao Absolutely... :notworthy OCR

  15. #15nextdoor2008-09-18 09:30

    What do reckon Squizzy I think its cos the steering wheel is on the wrong side!!!

  16. #16Squizzy246B2008-09-18 09:41

    You could be on to something there. When I first saw it I thought what a waste of a good Volvo!. I wonder if he forgot to dump the airbags??. Must be a horrible feeling when she starts to go. Fingers crossed

  17. #17OCR2008-09-18 10:28

    truck and trailer tipped over: No... the steering wheel is on the left side... that's the right side...:lmao... :lmao OCR

  18. #18grunk362008-09-18 17:03

    i am almost sure that what has happened is the joint on the lift cylinder that has broken and then twisted to the right that is also what the mechanics said today but a mess what so ever by the way we heard from the driver today three broken ribs in the right side two bend in the left a serious head broose and an punktured lung it can be dangerous to drive an truck

  19. #19AtlasRob2008-09-18 17:19

    Sorry to hear of his injuries, and hurt pride no doubt but it would seem like it was beyond his control. Now if the steering wheel had been on the right side where we all know it should have been then the driver would not have suffered such injury as he would have been lent on the door already rather than having to fall the full width of the cab

  20. #20RocksnRoses2008-09-18 19:41

    Makes you want to cry! I wonder that too, Squizzy. Looking at the photos I am not convinced it was the hoist pivot that let go, causing the trailer to tip over. Grunk, you were there so you would have a much better idea of what happened, but to me the damage on the bracket is not consistent with the hoist pushing up and slipping out. IMHO I think the bracket bent when the trailer body hit the ground with a thump and the hoist fell out. The bracket is only bolted to what looks like tube or fabricated material of some sort,and is not very strong sideways, only vertically, but I am wondering why would it spread sideways when the ram is lifting vertically. Also the front of the pivot shows some damage, probably where the ram fell out, whereas if the ram slipped out while lifting, you would expect the damage to be at the top of the pivot. The ram is bent but any telescopic hoist will bend that much at the segments when they are extended. The tailgate is open but the bulk of the material would still be up the front of the trailer, and of course, a lot still hinges on how the trailer was loaded. These are just a few thoughts from me, but I wasn't there. Rn'R.

  21. #21OCR2008-09-19 01:57

    truck and trailer tipped over: Yes sir, I think you have it right Rn'R. Here's a couple of your excellent observations that contribute to your theory. For reference, all views are from in front, as pictures show, ie, truck is laying on left side. If the ram slipped out while lifting... I would think there would be extensive damage to the remaining mount, as this would cause a severe twisting force, due to side loading... I don't see any damage to the right (upper) mount. Also, if the ram tore out while it was lifting... the box would probably fall down rather fast, at least I would think. That is probably what bent the lower mount (left bracket)... when the box hit, the cylinder end would want to keep going, and it is no doubt heavy enough to bend the bracket down. The truck must have tipped over for other reasons, and the bracket and cylinder damage are a result... not a cause. What do you think???... :beatsme OCR

  22. #22LowBoy2008-09-19 05:44

    Elementary my dear Watson...Cabovers are topheavy, probably had too much stuff in the bunk and over she went.:bouncegri Should switch to Western Star Low Max's over there down under.

  23. #23AtlasRob2008-09-20 13:26

    IMHO I think it was down to failure of the bracket attaching the ram to the body. A driver with a good few years experience ( can make you complacent I admit ) tipping free flowing material on a reasonably level surface. :cool2 The jury is still out but I favour mechanical failure rather than driver fault. For those that have operated such a rig, picture the set up with the ram still in place the body at the angle its now at and everything OK, FREE FLOWING load, tailboard open ( It couldn't have been locked shut to be in the position it is now in ) air bags dumped or not ! SORRY, I cant see any other reason. ( O! are all the tyres still inflated)

  24. #24grunk362008-09-20 17:12

    there was not any tires that was flat all the guys that have looked at the accident is all sure its the joint on the liftcylinder that caused it

  25. #2595zIV2008-09-20 19:50

    My old boss had a dump trailer that had twin cylinders to pick the body and one day the passenger side cylinder just blew out on the last section and just flopped the truck on it's side no time for reactions or anything. It's amazing how fast something like that can happen.

  26. #26Iron Horse2008-09-20 20:51

    A friend of mine had a 351 Peterbilt with a gravel trailer on the back . The ram bowed forward and broke the top stage off . The weight of the still half full bin chased the ram down and crushed the center of cabin down level with the bullbar . Luckily he had the door open and landed on the ground mostly unhurt . With regard to the posted trailer , that is the worst ram mount i have ever seen . Those two long arms mounted on hollow section steel with no strengthening plate under them to stop them spreading . But in my view that damage was done by the kinetic energy the heavy ram had when the bin hit the ground . Looking at the material beside the bin which is all the way foreward of the bin . And looking at how the ram is almost fully extended which means the bin was nearly at full height and still had material at the front would indicate to me that he had the trailer backed to close to the stockpile . Even though the tailgate was up i think the stockpile was holding the load in the trailer . Looking at the angle of the cab , even though it is slightly tapered and has a bit of crush damage , it seems to me that the area is not dead flat which would cause a rollover if material was at the front of the bin . I had one nearly go over for the same reason , when it leaned i hit the control lever and it came back down so fast the returning oil blew the breather off of the oil tank , but saved the truck .

  27. #27grunk362008-09-21 05:05

    thats exactly how we think this happened and also what the driver said there is no other reasons for this trailer to tip over than the lift

  28. #28grunk362008-09-21 05:10

    if you look at the picture of the liftcylinder youll see that there is only three sections out and these cylinders have got 5 sometimes 6 sections so its only half extended and the stockpile was 8 meters behind the tailgate so thats not the reason the joint you can see thats bend has got an old crack in it so that has to be the reson it flipped over

  29. #2995zIV2008-09-21 08:40

    That's why my old boss ALWAYS got out of the truck and stood by the door and ran up the body from the ground he told me he could watch the trailer that way and if something did go wrong he had a better chance of getting away. When his went over there was no damage to him. He had also installed the body control lever between the door and the seat.

  30. #30SKOAL2008-09-21 10:11

    i ve always raised the box from the inside if you pay attention you can feel whats happening.had a faulty gate twice with heavy clay on the truck, its funny the stains you get in your pants when the front end comes up about 6 foot or so now i always check to see the gate open

  31. #31Squizzy246B2008-09-21 10:41

    Some sites around here if you get out of your truck where the actual tipping is done then you will get banned from the site. They normally have an area aside for tarping or whatever you need to do out of the truck but thats it.

  32. #32RocksnRoses2008-09-21 17:54

    I thought that is what rear view mirrors are for. If your trailer leans the slightest amount either way you you see it and if starts to look untidy, you do something about it, like let it down and check why it is leaning. You also check either side to see if the material is flowing evenly from the tail gate. Rn'R.

  33. #33Iron Horse2008-09-22 04:01

    Not that it matters to me but if that trailer is 8 metres away from that pile i'll eat my hat . I can see where his tailgate was pushed into the pile and the first part of his load . And if that trunion bearing had broken it would have spat the ram out sideways and the bin would have come straight down . IMHO....

  34. #34RonG2008-09-22 04:44

    It looks to me like the terrain in that area is not level.I am looking at the green grass behind the stock pile.I am going to speculate that the tailgate was not opened when he dumped and the material that you see behind the trailer came out over the top of the locked tailgate. I base my observation on the amount of material left in the dump body that spilled onto the ground as it fell over,there was still product in the nose of the trailer. I see nothing about the material that would lead me to expect it to hang in the body while dumping. That lift cylinder did what I would expect it to do under those circumstances,the force of the impact bent the mounting ear and deposited it on the ground. There is nothing else that would produce these results short of a catastrophic event like multiple blown tires etc. If the ground is not level there and pitches the way it appears then he is backed up to the stockpile at the wrong angle for the trailer to be level but dumping what he was hauling should not have been a problem IF the tailgate had been unlatched. There is a reason that the tailgate locking lever is on the trailer frame,it forces you to dismount and take a look at the conditions that you have chosen to dump at. I have seen several dump trailers go over in my extended career and in every case but one the driver was not in the cab when it happened.He chose that time to tend to other matters after starting the dumping cycle and paid the price. On a solid frame trailer you can see which side clears the frame first as you start to dump by looking out of the back window and be able to predict how the rest of the event will unfold.Your view in the mirrors allows you to monitor conditions as they progress.You will have a feel for anything unusual happening by being IN the seat,I cannot imagine anyone routinely conducting the dump cycle from standing outside on the ground. Judging by the amount of material on the ground behind the trailer AND the angle at which the trailer toppled I am pretty confident that the gate was closed.The product would have fanned out quite a lot at that lift angle if the gate had been open to allow it to flow. The one instance that I observed that a trailer went over while the driver was in the seat was because of frozen material that hung on one side while releasing on the other. It was a Fruheauf triple axle with a 32' tub.Ron G

  35. #35LowBoy2008-09-22 04:53

    I agree with RonG 100%...

  36. #36Dozerboy2008-09-22 13:16

    I think the gate was open material was probably loaded to one side and the ground probably has a some slope. I think the gate was open based on the roll over I saw the other day under the same circumstances as I think caused this one. Here is my pics post #20 similar material the bed was almost all the way up the gate was open and look there is 3' of material left in the bed. The material was just starting to flow then the truck went over.

  37. #37grunk362008-09-22 14:59

    the pile you can see right behind the tailgate in this picture is not material from this trailer it is on the other side of the trailer and the tailgate has opened the cylinder slipped out from the left joint and twisted to the right resulting in the trailer tipping to the right and then BANG at least that what the experts here says happened... i am not a truckdriver myself only heard what they have been saying the last couple of days

  38. #38Iron Horse2008-09-23 03:16

    I'm sorry grunk , i did'nt mean to be opinionated about it but logic tells me that if that right trunnion bearing broke :-1/ the trunnion arm would not be bent at 90* . 2/ the left trunnion would have been twisted clockwise as we view it as the bin twisted . 3/ it would have taken .1 of a second for the left trunnion shaft to slip out as it is only 2" long and greased and would not have pulled the whole rig over . IMHO.

  39. #39amscontr2008-10-27 15:45

    Been there done that!

  40. #40grunk362008-10-27 16:58

    an experience one can do without am i right

  41. #41RocksnRoses2008-10-27 18:38

    Me too, saved the truck though. Rn'R.

  42. #42hoeman6002008-10-27 20:40

    this happend on a job 9420 and I were on in Cali. the driver was backing up and went up the slope he raised the bed.than BLOOP! he just started rasing the bed but the rock was to comphi and didnt want to come out. 9420 is in the 450 deereand I was on the 14H. we were working for nordic doing levee repairs along the bear river.

  43. #43hoeman6002008-10-27 20:44

    ya know I got more ya dont have to beg this job was 5 miles long and 200 feet wide, freight trains on one side and the river on the other

  44. #44Squizzy246B2008-10-28 08:11

    I'm confused...the Hoeman is in the Grader....and the Pullpan is in the hoe...????

  45. #45hoeman6002008-10-28 10:25

    hoeman better on grader . na pullpan only worked their couple weeks and i was their a year. he did end up on the grader they just needed him on the hoe. i was grading the slopes and the haul roads. they had a seinor opperator on the 600 for a while.