I bought an old truck out of a junkyard that had been sitting for 20 years. Got some new gas and tires then did some bodywork and got it to pass inspection. I tried searching and asking people for what kind of trailer it can pull but no one knew. I would like to some day get a trailer for it, but what kind of hitch is this and what does it hook to?
That's somebody's made up pin type pintle hitch probably for pulling a 4 wheel trailer with a short drawbar, maybe a short belly dump, local county used those for years spreading rock and asphalt. You can put a real pintle hitch on there and pull whatever she has the snoose to pull, it looks like a big boy truck to me. Or is it just a single axle, hard to tell from the pics?
Single axle. Here's a better picture...
Looks good... what do you want to pull behind it? If the brakes are decent and it's got some gears, should be able to handle an eight or ten ton trailer I would think. Air or vacuum brakes?
Air brakes.. It has a two speed rear end with a big gas 6 cylinder engine. I was hoping to pull an equipment trailer to haul a mud buggy to different events.
Should be no problem, depending on the combined weight of the trailer and mud buggy? Might not be the fastest thing on the road, patience is a virtue
Better put an extra tank up in the dump body and a wheelbarrow for gas money if you're traveling any distance :wink2 I love seeing old trucks still being used!
Looks like Joey's painting style (King Of obsolete)..... So your either KOO South, or KOO Jr...... Where abouts in Pa ? If it was me, I would torch off that hitch, and weld in a proper 2" receiver. Much more versatile/usefull.
I would recommend a combination hitch, they're a pintle with a 2-5/16 ball, and if you want to tow lighter stuff then yeah, cut in a standard receiver tube as DD sez. I had a dually with the Class 5 hitch which was handy, had the combo pintle on a class 5 mount, then used a reducer sleeve for normal trailers with 2" hitches.
I'm in Bellefonte, I have a trailer and truck I used in the past to transport the mud buggy short distances. The problem is that the trailer is too small and the light hookup is different than the reo because the trailer is from the military. I thought maybe just getting a bigger military trailer, but I'm not seeing much of anything for sale in the northeastern part of the United States. So I'm thinking I'll probably cut off that pin type hitch and go with a pintle. Then get an actual equipment trailer.