Because of the shortage of parts truck manufactures are not taking any orders for new trucks or trailers And if they do take the order it's cut by 2/3. Utility in Utah is setting on 700 plus trailers unfinished. This is how wacky the prices are for used. We have two 3 axle Cascadia models 2019's with 410,000 on them. Paid $154,000 for them, Both went on the chopping block and sold today for $167,000. Our Kenworth T990's 2021's just went into service middle of last month roughly 10,000 miles on them. Company paid $188,000 for each, could easily sell today for $230,000 {no ****}. Refer trailers 3 axle 53' were year and a half ago $80,000 now $107,000. A 53' 3 axle 7 years old worn out, $55,000. Used 53' 2 axle worn out $55 to 65,000. Freight rates are through the roof so these guys are paying stupid prices for used, The rates will fall and they will be making a payments of new on a old tired rig.
So now you have to account appreciation and not deprecation on the company accounting? Making money everywhere. Ask for a raise.
Oh no-to get a raise you go to the boss and grovel with hat in hand for a raise, just like every boss.
I've been through a few ups & downs through the years and now you won't hear me say "Well, back in XXXX ...." This is a new one for me. Totally upside down inside out and wiggly.
You only make money on the appreciation if you sell though if you plan to keep for 2-3 years prices will be back down to reality by then, prices are only going to stay high until new inventory is back, and then manufacture's are going to push huge deals to get rid of the backlog, possibly pushing resale values lower then before for a bit. I don't know why many people would be buying right now, even with high rates you got to figure in a fortune for depreciation. I bet some companies could make more money selling off their fleets and rebuying in say 2 years then operating for the next 2 years. Prices are stupid though! My 25 ton tag I paid mid 20's for, RB getting low 40's for same trailer 10 years old, 2 years ago brand new one was mid 40's.
Company I drive for currently has around 100 of our tractors leased out to ups as they can’t get new trucks
Guess I better sell my tired out worthless worn out Beverly Hillbillies semi and grab a M9XX series military semi, cause I know they aren't buying those up for OTR or local deliveries and would make perfect tool for out here.
In April 2021 a Timpte hopper with electric tarp, aluminum wheels, extra lights was $43,500. Last month with steel wheels and manual tarp is $48,000.
It's going to get a lot worse too.
Dump trucks are doing the same around here - I got told a few weeks ago by our local Volvo dealer that lead time for new dump truck is now at 9-10 months. I couldn't wait that long, so I picked up a 3 year old unit with low miles. I'm sure I overpaid by 10-15k compared to last year, but what other choice do I have? I'm holding on to one of our pre-emissions tandems till spring/summer. Figure I can make an easy 10-15k on that truck over what I paid for it 3 years ago. Strange times indeed.
My news today, Freightliner once finished with orders on the books at this moment-{there will be no orders taken on new trucks in 2023}. PacCar has yet to tell any dealership salesmen if they can place any orders this year. So companies like C R England which owns 18,000 trucks plans on running their oldest high mile rigs another two years. Same with the company I work for {what they got is what they got}. No one can afford to sell-just hope parts can be found.
There goes any plan to keep things under warranty.
Buy more warranty is the plan.
How inflated are new Triaxle dump truck prices right now for 13 liter automatics? I’m seeing 190-240 range. What were they in 2019?
Just curious, did they debate keeping those trucks as spare's because of the unavailability of new? I know they brought good $$, but maybe a spare pair of trucks in the back yard might not be a bad idea.
Both of those are trucks we ran to the SE. Have some miles but were bought off the lot instead of spec. both are slightly heavy and fitted with options no one has liked. Plus there only 80,000 GVW.
Really prices very depending on options and specs, average $25,000 less.
It was a good year to clear out the yard, sold a spare excavator, dump truck and Tag trailer. No one haggled.
Amazing how fast things have changed. I sold a dump truck in late 2020 that everyone felt was worth half of what I listed it for. I eventually sold it for 10% less than listed. I sold a tag trailer in January 2020 that had 20 rediculous offers before a guy bought it for my asking price. Both items took a few months to sell. Today, those items are sold within a week of listing if they're operable.
I missed the boat agin i sold 2 pickups that i could have used but thought i would sell and buy something i wanted just before this happen .They are worth double now . I also bought a bigger truck so i could get a bigger trailer but every thing is high i wonder if things will ever change ? It looks like it would take a miracle to make things change alot of people would need to go back to work. It seems like if i make a mess it takes 4 times longer to set things strait than it did to screw it up.
Right now you could sell a turd if had headlights.
You may want to keep it unless you can walk to work.
You have to have the right piece, in the right price range. Kubota dealers have no inventory, watched an auction last week that kubota equipment went for good money. The auction was in Pennsylvania, one outfit in Washington bought most of it.
Went by Doonan Peterbilt lot in Great Bend, KS the other day. Lot was completely bare except for a 20+ yo GMC single axle. Usually a couple of dozen trucks, several new.
Have THREE Now, awaiting the KW to be Completed, do not care if next week or next year they just want to see it done so can Bid War on it. 2005 built '04 W900L, Rebuilt C15 cloned to 6NZ. Have all the numbers and listings for components as well the repairs lists. One stated he will start bidding at $60k when he can see it completed and painted out. These three two run Bull Racks, the last a local guy just hauls Grain and Farm supplies as bulk fertilizers. Have repeated myself time and again not really interested in selling, they are paying little heed.
You get the best return selling something you don't want to sell. Sold a pickup many years ago like that, was just selling rims and tires guy asked if I would sell the truck I said it's not for sale, no one would pay me what it's worth to me, he made me an offer I couldn't refuse so it was gone. It made sense, it was lifted etc and I had a stupid amount of money into it and selling it helped me buy a house quicker. I've had ex's joke that I would sell them for the right price, because I always say anything is for sale for the right price.
Average price for new $235,000 to $250,000, a used 359, 379 late 80's vintage $100,000 and up, the sky is the limit right now.
And just to back up what I posted-This big cam cummins that I just built and sold in less than three days after posting on two separate truck groups on facebook. I have received no less than 16 pm's asking if it was sold or do I have anymore, or do I have any rebuilt B model Cat's. If I had 25 engines setting rebuilt I could sell everyone in two weeks. I have another BCII and a B model 400 and those are already spoken for.
The blue clt 9000 ford $30,000, 1979 kw $120,000, 1984 pete 359 $95,000.
On the blue W900 why is there 2 pipes coming off the air cleaner? I don't recall ever seeing anything like that.
Preheater for cold climate.
Oh ok. Sure is a sharp A model!!!
It is but that is a ton of money for a standard hood W900. Long hoods normally in that price range and up.
Not many if ANY pre 2007 models available around here. Most are snatched up long before ink is dry for sales ads, have to be pretty well used up and junk to still be in sales ads. Are tons of unscrupulous dealers out there sitting on machines, most of which have Salvage Titles so Buyer Beware.
Anything on the market needs to be checked including the radiator cap. There is some real tired trucks on the market, recaps and a paint job to entice.
This falling star is in the shop today getting up-fitted. No idea on cost, but it took two years to finally get it.
Locally trucks just prior to Tier 2 are still moving, maintenance records and ownership involvement to keep fully functional seem to be the enticements for purchases. 2004 Navistar long hood with integrated bunk million mile chassis was advertised with Certified overhaul on its Cummins ISX with less than 200,000 miles on it. a 10 spd. Air ride tandem lower gvwr as was used hauling plastic molded products. Not ever wrecked, very clean, tires less than 30,000 miles, sold for less than $40,000 to a grain hauler. Truck was tired and needed to go per the guys at that yard. Lost money as to last round of repairs.
Come on, Miller. Not you, too?
Those two items right there put the kill on it for age. There are many that have had bad luck with the two cam ISX. A chip hauler not far off unloaded his 5 and happy to get the 50K he asked. Had those been powered with C15's it probably would have been a different story.
If one was to look at a Old Corn Queen---I would be far more interested in a old early 80's 4300 with a 400 Cat or BC Cummins over anything real late. Just my opinion now--Those old girls had a good solid cab and rails--International built some real good trucks during that time.
1986 W900B with under 20,000 original miles-documented. $140,000. * Facebook www.facebook.com * Although I see some issues with mileage.
Driving by RB lot along side I90 this morning on my way back from Spokane, must have been 40 to 50 YRC tractors and a few straight trucks hitting the chopping block. Market will be flooded with single axle tractors across the country.
Small tractor and trailer market is toast.
Get ready Dave the next big questions that will be asked about dump trucks--{can I put a drop axle on the single axle I picked up to use as a dump and pull a tag trailer, I would like to be able to gross at least 54,000 and move my 320 at the same time}.
{Shouldn't be a problem. Make sure your brakes are adjusted, and you have a heavy enough pintle hook}
Here comes that other shoe drop. Tons of SA tractors dirt Cheap next to no miles, simplistic machines. Landscaper needs a couple, can buy three or four same cost as ONE SD 450 or 550 or a Ram Bighorn Or a big GMC/IH so why not. Truck sales implodes. Service deals evaporate. IRS gets involved and deductions go poof as unnecessary/excessive.
GVWR @ 54,000 plus a 320 excavator at 50,000 plus a tag trailer. My my my just a little out of bounds. That would be a blue light special.
54k is the farm tag line on max before needing all other certifications IFTA's and other BS.
Is one of many reasons KW has only 48 license.
I don't think farmers around here even have titles for their trucks
LT-2401 is ready for service. Wired, on-fire, full of diesel & ready for hire. She will never be this clean again. Next week, She will be a dirty, tanker yanker. My buddy wasn’t thinking when he left her, parked and unsupervised in the bad part of Anchorage on a Friday night. I don’t think those vision X light cannons will be there Monday morning. Oooof!
Still a nice looker. Do not care for the Defrost/Defog heaters in headlamp lens of these.
I see, those lights are a little pricy. Big influx of Western Star for line haul, lately. They seem easier and faster to order, vs PACCAR. The Western Star PDI Custom Truck Services is a great option and can do a lot of the upfitting vs having the dealer do it. Or, a third party. PDI put a wet kit on her. Looks great.
The hydraulic filter is easy to access, but looks a little vulnerable.
Needs a Iron Box! Or turn mount 45 degrees to flat 90.
Beat me to it. Who thinks these things through?? If it was a pavement princess from Cali, probably be ok....
Was just going to say I don't think I'd have mounted it there.
I think the filter isn't great, but I think the hyd. female quick coupler positioning is dumber. Leave that outside, not hooked up to the trailer, and someone's going to have fun thawing out the frozen snow and ice out of that fitting. It's only in alaska, surely they won't have rain/ snow and freezing, so lets just point that fitting straight up..... Other than that , I think Western star makes a sharp truck. I don't know what the new ones are like inside. They have taken over a lot of the vocational market in my area.
Market share of Class 8 truck manufacturers: U.S. 2022 | Statista The U.S. www.statista.com * Western star only has 2.5% of market--nothing but heavy piles of dung.
Good point. We’ll come up with a better solution. Her maiden voyage is delayed while this stuff gets straightened out.
Aren't they just a slightly tweaked freightliner/ all part of Daimler?
They are easier to spec heavy and the DD15 is working out fairly decent, at the moment, I’m hearing the fleet managers say. But, we’ll see how they hold up. Big Blue purchased a few of them, too. I certainly don’t have much experience with the brand. Interesting curiosity seeing all the new WS units hitting the road in the land of the midnight sun.
It's freightliners redheaded step child, it helps keep freightliner at 40% of market share combined. That's like saying a peterbilt is a tweaked Kenworth/ all part of PacCar.
What’s a girl to do in clown world twenty-fo? We can’t keep the new Cummins running in the PACCAR brands. The either come apart or you are fighting the after treatment systems. One local outfit was thinking ahead and purchased every last Fitz/Thompson Pete & K-Dub left in North America. And, they are getting long in the tooth.
The DD15 isn't much better with cylinder head problems and most every external component with flaws. Fo or four?
The DD15, Overall cost to operate, has a slight edge over the Cummins, at the moment. According to a couple of my fleet customers. Which is subject to change, of course. I think, maybe the DD15 can handle the idle hours better. Excessive idle time is a huge issue up here.
I've been dealing with DD15's since 2010. Idle time is a big factor down here for the fact a high percentage of trucks are homeless shelters. We had some with 75% idle time, still do. And those with high idle were and are the first ones that experience valve clearance disappearing because the valves beating the seats out & or stem stretch. Detroit won't say just what the issue is that causes it, but keeping the overheads run and every minute thing done well documented because Detroit will dive out from under warranty at the drop of a hat. My old company had/has over 110 DD15 & 16 powered units. I've stood and battled looking Freightliner corporate straight in the face-three at once. * No need for expensive lap top--pressure gauges and that kind of horse ****. I can hear one that has a valve issue 50' away---you can hear it thumping pushing air back past the intake valves by just putting your ear to the air cleaner.
Homeless shelters! lol You have been a great resource on the DD15 over the years. I’ve only got/had about six of them, in M2’s of the 2015-17 vintage. All are on the road, except one that scattered at 22k hrs, this winter. The rest are pushing about 20k. They have been fairly reliable, overall. Most require a new one-box, annually.
I was looking at the western star/ freightliner spec pages, and they advertise total "detroit" powertrain. Engine, transmission, and rear ends. It said they own their own rear end manufacturing facility- did they buy up someone else, or is the "detroit" rears a total new set up of their own?
The Detroit drives are a Mercedes co-opted design, they went to a corporate built vehicle. About the only items not Freightliner are the tires & wheels--brake system, Wabco or Bendix. * All of the Cascadia's the company owned or own have had the Detroit rear drives. Out of the 110 plus they've owned only two failures, One was caused by a on the road lube shop, fill plug wasn't tightened and the other a driver managed to destroy this last winter when he got stuck. So none failed from defects. The jack for handling drives never got used again. Eaton nor Rockwell build a drive that good.
What he do to destroy the rear drive when he was stuck?
I don't know wasn't there, it's what was reported by other drivers who were. But one thing is for sure someone on here will ask.
44k lb max rating on tandem Detroit axles. Heavy enough for a lot of off-highway and vocational applications. Funny they don't offer a tridrive configuration on their website.
How does the DD13 hold up? I have one in a WStar 4700 dump truck. It has an 8LL trany and I think Meritor 46000 rear end. It has a 20000 lb Hendrickson steer axle and a 20000lb Hendrickson lift axle. It is a 21 model, have had no problems yet, knock on wood. FWD
It's ok.